Cod 14 Intermittent PIP signal, Runs fine, No symptoms - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Reload this Page >

Cod 14 Intermittent PIP signal, Runs fine, No symptoms

Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Old 01-08-2019, 05:17 AM
Spork_Fingers
New User
Spork_Fingers is starting off with a positive reputation.

I bought this used van a while back and it has been very reliable and given me no problems, but it has code 14 in memory for intermittent PIP signal. I am having trouble diagnosing the problem because it is giving me no symptoms like stalling and misfires and most of the posts about code 14 are from vehicles with a no start condition or stalling when hot. I can get it to stall if I move the shifter between neutral and drive and then quickly shift into drive and it has a hesitation on takeoff that only started after I fixed a vacuum leak in the lines going to the emissions control stuff. The vacuum line to the EGR has been plugged and the hesitation is barely noticeable anymore. It idles very smoothly and has as much power as you would expect with a 4.9 in a 5 ton vehicle.

I've tried simple things to fix it like cleaning connections, cap, wires, plugs, and ohmed out the TFI module. Everything came back ok. Are there any other tests I should do before I give up? Is there anywhere else I should be looking at other than the ignition system? I know the PIP signal is used to fire the fuel injectors. Is there anything other than the TFI or distributor that would trigger this code?

I'm tempted to ignore the code until it becomes a more obvious problem or leaves me on the side of the road.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:24 AM
Mo8414
Freshman User
Mo8414 is starting off with a positive reputation.
That is the sensor inside the distributor that tells the coil when to spark. Im pretty sure there is a procedure where you back probe the top wire of the ignition control modual and check it for a certain amount of voltage.

If that sensor does eventually go you will have to either remove the old distributor and take it all apart by removing the gear on it to replace the pickup coil ( thats what aurozone has it listed as) or just buy a new distributor and throw it in. I just had to do it on my 94 f250, its pretty easy to put a new distributor in.

When my truck ran with this problem it ran just as strong as normak, then it would flutter a bit and die after a short time. Personslly I would just replace it now before it leaves you stranded, its not that expensive of a part.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:07 AM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
This is a stored code only.
So if you just bought the truck the PO may have fixed the problem.
This code will stay in stored memory for either 60 or 80 start ups.
So clear the code and see if it comes back.

Old 01-08-2019, 04:45 PM
Spork_Fingers
New User
Thanks for the help everyone! I cleared the code and drove it for a while. The code didn't show up until the engine got warm. I ordered the distributor so hopefully that will fix the issue.

Old 01-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Mo8414
Freshman User
Hopefully yours isn't seased like mine was. Had to heat it up real good, use penitrating fluid and use a crow bar to pry up on the bottom of the distributor to get it out. Took about 45 min but it finally came out. After that its easy peasy. Your going to need a timing light if you don't already have one.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:01 PM
Spork_Fingers
New User
The distributor hold down bolt looks like a pain. I have that sucker dripping in liquid wrench and have been practicing my yoga to fit through the doghouse to reach the thing.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:55 PM
subford
Post Fiend
subford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud ofsubford has much to be proud of
You should be able to get to it under the hood.
I did on a this 1988 van.

/

Old 01-09-2019, 09:00 PM
Will Joyce
Freshman User
Will Joyce is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by subford View Post
You should be able to get to it under the hood.
I did on a this 1988 van.

/
Had to use a universal joint with a 1/2 in socket for mine --yea its a pain

Old 01-09-2019, 10:18 PM
Mo8414
Freshman User
They sell special distributor nut wrenches that are L shaped, makes life a bit easier once you get used to them.

Old 01-10-2019, 11:48 AM
HardScrabble
Posting Guru
HardScrabble has a good reputation on FTE.HardScrabble has a good reputation on FTE.
There may be flats on the distributor housing so you can get a big adjustable wrench on it. Helps to be able to put some twisting force on the housing. Not too much or it will break.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Spork_Fingers
New User
I got the bolt out, but the distributor seems to be seized in there. Do I have to turn it a certain way to get it apart, or do I just wiggle it until it loostens up? Also, does anyone have a picture of the timing scale? The numbers are unreadable, but there are notches on the scale. I don't know which one is the Mark for initial timing.

Thanks again for the help! All of you are awesome!

Old 01-10-2019, 09:28 PM
Spork_Fingers
New User
I may have figured out the issue. The initial timing is set well after top dead center. It looks to be at least 5 degrees after with the SPOUT disconnected and 4 degrees before with the SPOUT plugged in. I adjusted the timing to 10 degrees before TDC and I'm leaving the battery unplugged overnight to reset the computer.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:52 PM
Mo8414
Freshman User
To get the distributor out u might have to heat it up where it goes into the engine with a torch. I used a crow bar on mine to pry it up. If your able to wiggle it then just keep wiggling it till it finally comes out. Took me almost an hour and a lot of heat to get mine out.

The timing marks can be cleaned up and mark the 10 line. Warm your engine up to normal running temp, unplug the spout and adjust the distributor till its at 10 then tighten it down and make sure it didn't move. Then plug your spout back in and you should be good to go.

Old 01-11-2019, 05:32 PM
rdayt
New User
rdayt is starting off with a positive reputation.
I had pip codes on my 94. No other problems, ran great.
Replacing and rerouting the plug wires fixed it up.

Randy

Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 PM
Spork_Fingers
New User
I have the new distributor in and the code didn't go away. With the new ignition module on the distributor, it misses randomly and dies at high throttle. I checked to make sure the plugs wires we're in the right order.

I put the old ignition module back on the new distributor and it ran great, but the code was still there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.