98 f150 4.6 Supercab Passenger Side Coil problem. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Performance, Engines & Troubleshooting > Modular V8 (4.6L, 5.4L)
Reload this Page >

98 f150 4.6 Supercab Passenger Side Coil problem.

Notices

Old 01-07-2019, 03:33 PM
Badonk
New User
Badonk is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hey guys! Completely new here, lurked for a long time. Thie is going to be long winded and I apologize for that. I'm having a pretty frustrating problem with my truck. It is a 98 f150 4.6 W. About a week ago I started it up and drove to the gas station. It randomly died and I coasted to a stop at a light. After about ten minutes of cranking It finally started back up but was running really rough like it had a misfire or two. I parked and let it sit for a week then yesterday (Sunday Jan 7) i drove up to the auto store to read the codes. I had a misfire in cylinder 6. and a p0351 code. I replaced the coil and started the truck it and it was running even worse. Swapped plugs, coil wires and coil packs with new ones and the problem hasn't gone away just got worse. Now I have no spark on the P. side coil pack on 6 and 1 coil. Was wondering if anybody had any ideas or could help steer me in the right direction. Thank you for your time.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:06 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Badonk View Post
.... It is a 98 f150 4.6 W. About a week ago I started it up and drove to the gas station. It randomly died and I coasted to a stop at a light. After about ten minutes of cranking It finally started back up but was running really rough like it had a misfire or two. I parked and let it sit for a week then yesterday (Sunday Jan 7) i drove up to the auto store to read the codes. I had a misfire in cylinder 6. and a p0351 code. I replaced the coil and started the truck it and it was running even worse. Swapped plugs, coil wires and coil packs with new ones and the problem hasn't gone away just got worse. Now I have no spark on the P. side coil pack on 6 and 1 coil. ....
How many miles?
First thing I would do is hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail test port and see what the pressure is.
You might have a clogged fuel filter, fuel pump power relay going bad or a fuel pump going bad.
Check the power to the COPs with the ignition in RUN, every COP should be getting 12v.
Are the COP connectors in good condition? The connector for #6 may need to be replaced.
Check all the vacuum hoses for a leak, particularly the PCV near the engine.

Old 01-07-2019, 11:31 PM
Badonk
New User
Badonk is starting off with a positive reputation.
It has coil packs. not COP's. half the coilpack is dead and I cant figure out why.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.