Why do my new aftermarket speakers sound worse than the factory ones? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Why do my new aftermarket speakers sound worse than the factory ones?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Why do my new aftermarket speakers sound worse than the factory ones?

Old 01-08-2019, 12:12 PM
johnfist
Senior User
johnfist is starting off with a positive reputation.
Definitely test another speaker. If fitment is similar to stock, and both speakers end up sounding the same, then there has to be a power issue. Maybe try the other door, possible you have a wire that's damaged or something?

Old 01-08-2019, 02:21 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
Could also be a bad connection.

I was not in the mood to strip/crimp wires and terminal connections so used these: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_120725...g-Harness.html

I had a bad crackling on one speaker, did some troubleshooting (swapped wiring harness) and found out I had one bad one in the bunch. Swapped it out and all was good.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:15 PM
imq707s
Senior User
imq707s is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by johnfist View Post
Definitely test another speaker. If fitment is similar to stock, and both speakers end up sounding the same, then there has to be a power issue. Maybe try the other door, possible you have a wire that's damaged or something?
Well, I went ahead and put another brand new Pioneer speaker in there........still sounds like crap.

Changed the polarity around....still sounds like crap.

Put the OEM speaker back in....sounds 10 times better.

At this point I'm going to return all 4 of the Pioneer speakers I bought, and keep the OEM ones. Maybe if one of the OEM ones die, I will roll the dice on another aftermarket set to try.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:13 PM
imq707s
Senior User
Well, I ordered a pair of these. About three times the price I paid for the Pioneers....but I've always had great luck with Infinity products. These have got to sound better than the oem speakers......please sound better!! If they sound good, I'll order another pair.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R86...F-8632cfx.html

Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 AM
Chad Thomas
New User
Chad Thomas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Does it have a factory audio package. Like the Sony system? If so, it may be that the amplifier that runs the speakers are a low power high output system that does not match your aftermarket speakers needs. You may need to install another amp to properly power the 6x8 speakers and tweeters with a good set of crossovers.

Old 01-16-2019, 01:32 PM
imq707s
Senior User
Originally Posted by Chad Thomas View Post
Does it have a factory audio package. Like the Sony system? If so, it may be that the amplifier that runs the speakers are a low power high output system that does not match your aftermarket speakers needs. You may need to install another amp to properly power the 6x8 speakers and tweeters with a good set of crossovers.
Nope....just the plain old OEM Ford cd player. I'm going to install those new speakers this weekend if I get a chance...I will see how these new ones sound.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:23 PM
Batman7777
Senior User
Batman7777 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Check impedance..... Maybe already done.. 1-way, 2-way or 3-way speaker? Bass reflex enclosure? Some speaker systems are high and some are low performance meaning it can take 60 watts to turn some speakers on while others easily respond with 1 watt.

Impedance in speakers is like ohms in DV circuits except impedance is plus to minus voltage (peak-to-peak) sine wave. AC circuits are this way. Voltage goes plus and then negative.

If you look at the audio signal on a silly scope, you'd see the voltage signals going up and below zero.

Do the original speakers have bypass filters? Are the original speakers fixed/permanent magnets or electro-magnets? ? Hard to believe they would be electro-magnets but I have see them.

Old 01-16-2019, 06:39 PM
Batman7777
Senior User
Impedance mismatch would be like pushing water in a 1 inch hose (4 ohm) to a 1/2 inch hose (8 ohm). The other way would be, water flowing in a 1/2 inch hose now going into a 1 inch hose.

The larger the impedance number, the more resistance.. 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm.. As the number of ohms increases, the resistance to flow (back pressure) increases.

Perfect match is 4 ohm (amplifier) to 4 ohm (speaker), 8 ohm (amplifier) to 8 ohm (speaker), etc

Impedance mismatch, can blow the speaker or amplifier.

Okay... Here's something cool

Water pressure (PSI) is like Voltage in electronics (5volts, 110volts, etc)
Water resistance (Faucet, Valve, Spigot) is like impedance or ohms in electronics (The amount of flow resistance)
Water flow is like current/amperage in electronics (How much flow do we have)
Water consumption or usage is like watts in electronics (Voltage times Amperage = Watts or Power))

Impedance is a peak-to-peak (Above zero volts (plus) to below zero volts (negative)) RMS is the relative measurement.. .707 times the peak
Ohms is DC voltage resistance (All above zero or all below) DC voltage stays one way or the other and does not cycle plus to negative.
That would be AC (Alternating Current). Hence typical household is 110volts AC at 60Hz or goes positive to negative and back 60 times/second.

DC (Direct Current)
AC (Alternating Current)

Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM
imq707s
Senior User
Originally Posted by Batman7777 View Post
Impedance mismatch would be like pushing water in a 1 inch hose (4 ohm) to a 1/2 inch hose (8 ohm). The other way would be, water flowing in a 1/2 inch hose now going into a 1 inch hose.

The larger the impedance number, the more resistance.. 4 ohm, 8 ohm, 16 ohm.. As the number of ohms increases, the resistance to flow (back pressure) increases.

Perfect match is 4 ohm (amplifier) to 4 ohm (speaker), 8 ohm (amplifier) to 8 ohm (speaker), etc

Impedance mismatch, can blow the speaker or amplifier.

Okay... Here's something cool

Water pressure (PSI) is like Voltage in electronics (5volts, 110volts, etc)
Water resistance (Faucet, Valve, Spigot) is like impedance or ohms in electronics (The amount of flow resistance)
Water flow is like current/amperage in electronics (How much flow do we have)
Water consumption or usage is like watts in electronics (Voltage times Amperage = Watts or Power))

Impedance is a peak-to-peak (Above zero volts (plus) to below zero volts (negative)) RMS is the relative measurement.. .707 times the peak
Ohms is DC voltage resistance (All above zero or all below) DC voltage stays one way or the other and does not cycle plus to negative.
That would be AC (Alternating Current). Hence typical household is 110volts AC at 60Hz or goes positive to negative and back 60 times/second.

DC (Direct Current)
AC (Alternating Current)
The OEM speakers are 4ohm....those pioneers were also 4ohm.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:27 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by imq707s View Post
The OEM speakers are 4ohm....those pioneers were also 4ohm.
There's a whole lot of jiggery-pokery involved with stereo and audio electronics specifications, the "4 ohms" rating just means they measure 4 ohms at a particular frequency. Loudspeakers have different impedances, all over the place, at different frequencies, they can sort of fudge that a bit if they want, at least on paper. See this mostly with BS power ratings "1000 Watts!" but there's only a 1/4 amp fuse protecting the circuit. It may be one manufacturer's "4 ohms" speaker is quite a bit different than the other.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:21 PM
vermilian
Senior User
vermilian is starting off with a positive reputation.
Itís because you are not running those new speakers with an amp. Most head units are 50w x 4, but that doesnít mean they actually put that out all the time, usually depending on how demanding the speakers are being. Those pioneers being 40 watt, require that power all the time, a head unit doesnít put that out all the time. Because the amplifier thatís built into it is not like an actual 500 watt amp. The head unit canít handle the supply demand by the speakers for extended periods of time.

id be willing to wager if you wired an amp to your speakers they would sound 1000 times better then stock.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:32 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
I personally do not like pioneer speakers at all. I do like their head units which I have in my 2004 F350 along with JL audio speakers. You have to match the settings on the head unit to the speakers. Your head unit puts out X at differnt ohms, you have to buy speakers that match that or close to it and then adjust the levels through the head unit. If you dont know how try the differnt stored EQ settings on the head unit. Pioneer uses Vocal, Flat, Powerful, etc. At the moment I'm running Powerful and it sounds AMAZING when I I stall my sub and amp then I'll adjust all the setti gs to match the speakers/sub to get the absolute best sound

Old 01-21-2019, 03:19 PM
Batman7777
Senior User
Are you going from a one way speaker or a 2-way to a 3-way or the other? 2-way or a 3-way to a 1-way? The automotive amplifier could have line audio capacitor or inductor filters to filter out frequency ranges to a particular speaker.

Look for capacitors hanging on the speaker wires or inline noise cancelation inductors, etc. Just a thought...

Capacitors in parallel with the speaker wires act like frequency block or frequency pass. Meaning some frequencies are blocked while others are passed or allowed to go on.

Sound range from say 10 to 20,000. In some applications you want to block low end frequencies like bass sounds. You don't want bass sounds going to your high pitch tweeters.

The same goes for filtering out high end sounds and allow or permit low frequency sounds go to your sub-woofer.

A 2-way or 3-way speaker tries to maximize sound frequencies to the woofer part of the speaker, some to the mid-range and some sounds to the smaller center tweeter part of the speaker.

Old 01-22-2019, 02:03 PM
brian42
Post Fiend
brian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant futurebrian42 has a brilliant future
I also am not a Pioneer fan (of any of their products) but the 6x8 4-way speakers I installed work well and meet my needs (and are light years better than the paper OEM speakers).

I don't consider myself an audiophile (although I do appreciate good music on good equipment) but did not want to clutter the interior up with audio equipment (boxes, amps, wires, capacitors, enclosures, etc.) like I have in the past during my younger years.

Old 02-04-2019, 01:56 PM
imq707s
Senior User
****UPDATE****Well, I finally got a chance to try out the new Infinity speakers this weekend. Wow...so much better than the Pioneers I tried. The volume level was the same as stock (not quieter), and the sound was so much better.....much more clarity and definition. They were a little pricey, but they made all the difference in the world!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.