Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'STEER' me in the right direction

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 03:10 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by F250_
Perhaps somewhat of a rabbit trail, here, but is there any real value in converting from stock to a ram configuration for a 2wd F250 which spends its life as a road princess? My gut feeling is "non, not worth the extra money", but I'm willing to listen to alternative viewpoints.
If you have it rebuilt, I’d spend the extra money to have it ported then you have that option down the road . They’ll have it apart anyway, so porting it isn’t a big deal.

Regarding WTOR and gear boxes, best to just call them.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo

Seeing how my buddies shop installs 3-5 of them a week and has for years and he had no chronic issues I’d say your claim is unfounded but you are certainly entitled to your opinion.

i just read their core policy and it seems reasonable to me, exactly what part are you taking issue with ?
@pirate4x4_camo , I think you and I have had this dance before, and I think I mentioned at that time I don't like to dance with guys...

Anyway, over the past 2 years there have been some serious problems with RedHead quality control. Although, a lot of people log on to a forum to complain and then never come back. So there is that....

Source - https://redheadsteeringgears.com/pro...spline-sector/

$356 for the steering gear
+
$200 for the core charge

Source - https://redheadsteeringgears.com/f-q/

Core charge refund reduced if any of the following take place...

- If a valuable and integral part of the steering gear is compromised to the point that it has to be replaced. - OK, so I can replace my steering gear if it is not broken, but if it is broken they keep part of my money?
- If the core that is sent back to us is a steering gear of lesser value we will reduce the refund accordingly. - What? Of course my steering gear is of lesser value, the RedHead gear is $360....
- If the core that is sent back to us is not original equipment we will likely need to reduce the refund. The reason for this is because some of the aftermarket steering gear companies may offer steering gears that are modified in a way that renders them unbuildable. - OK, so if my steering gear that hopefully isn't broken and hopefully is of the same value as RedHead sees fit, hopefully it is not a manufactured or aftermarket steering gear. Unbuildable? Well I guess that means that when all of the gears are bought, we are screwed...

+
$70 two way shipping.

So, for a grand total of $626.... Ya, $626 you might get out the door paying $426 IF, IF, IF your core meets their criteria... What a joke...

I would take the WTOR or Blue Top anyday instead of paying the kind of money that RedHead.

Just my opinion though and that is worth $0... In addition, I am wrong everyday, it happens...

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-08-2019, 01:01 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Redhead core policy is essentially the same as Bluetop.

perhaps Bluetop does a better job of explainging it.

“ if neither of these are included you may not get a core refund. Please refer to back of tag for more useful information for returning core. All cores returned after 30 days will be credited at 50% of the original core charge. Cores that are not OE or not identical to the gearbox we sent you will be credited at 25%. ($200 core charge = $50 credit). If we do not get back the correct core it changes our inventory requiring us to purchase another core to make up for the loss. If we do not get the correct one back then we cannot continue to circulate quality steering products.”

if you go on to read the rest of their policy they even do a good job of describing some of the aftermarket parts that may be in your box from previous rebuilders that do not meet their criteria for a core refund.
https://www.bluetopsteering.com/core-return-information

Old 01-08-2019, 06:49 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Don't let me interrupt your dance

I appreciate the feedback and personal experiences. Even if they are apples and oranges, I am debating whether to install the apple or the orange.

It's my daily. I dont do crazy rock crawling but it does need to hold up to the 35" tires on the deer lease for days when I dont have the side-by-side out there. Will blue top and redhead get the job done for years to come or am I better suited for the RAM set up?

Old 01-08-2019, 07:14 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by CousinCarl

I appreciate the feedback and personal experiences. Even if they are apples and oranges, I am debating whether to install the apple or the orange.

It's my daily. I dont do crazy rock crawling but it does need to hold up to the 35" tires on the deer lease for days when I dont have the side-by-side out there. Will blue top and redhead get the job done for years to come or am I better suited for the RAM set up?
https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com...hydro-steering is the only way to go especially with you running bigger tires. The ram takes all the load off the box as one of the dance boys mentioned above

IMHO putting 'just another' box on (don't care who's it is) is just a band aid and kicking the can down the road waiting for another failure.

600 bucks for rock solid steering and piece of mind, safety going down the road with loves ones on board etc = priceless

Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
My truck has wide 35’s if you can’t turn the wheels at a standstill on dry pavement your pump could be worn or have air in the system. I used to just think the tires are too big until I just decided it was a weak pump. Very easy swap and it feels dirt cheap after doing the gearbox lol . The ram bar is deffinetly the best that’s what some of the 26ft trucks have I drive every now and then turning the wheel is effortless.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:11 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by akcooper9
https://westtexasoffroad.wixsite.com...hydro-steering is the only way to go especially with you running bigger tires. The ram takes all the load off the box as one of the dance boys mentioned above

IMHO putting 'just another' box on (don't care who's it is) is just a band aid and kicking the can down the road waiting for another failure.

600 bucks for rock solid steering and piece of mind, safety going down the road with loves ones on board etc = priceless
Yup I agree completely. If nothing else have WTOR rebuild and port your box, then you can add the ram down the road.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:15 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
While they dance, ill be hanging with Pete sip'n tea with our pinkys in the air, admiring the offroad scene from our cozy 2wd princesses....great ? Pete. Ill go the West route and have box rebuilt with pirts tapoed for the IF.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:59 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,443 Likes on 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Redhead core policy is essentially the same as Bluetop.

perhaps Bluetop does a better job of explainging it.

“ if neither of these are included you may not get a core refund. Please refer to back of tag for more useful information for returning core. All cores returned after 30 days will be credited at 50% of the original core charge. Cores that are not OE or not identical to the gearbox we sent you will be credited at 25%. ($200 core charge = $50 credit). If we do not get back the correct core it changes our inventory requiring us to purchase another core to make up for the loss. If we do not get the correct one back then we cannot continue to circulate quality steering products.”

if you go on to read the rest of their policy they even do a good job of describing some of the aftermarket parts that may be in your box from previous rebuilders that do not meet their criteria for a core refund.
https://www.bluetopsteering.com/core-return-information
Yawn.... No prices included there... I don't care what anyone says, RedHead is not the top dog in the fight anymore since their QC issues as of late. Dancing sucks anyway, I'm going to chill with Timmy and Pete, but I bringing a cooler of beer and my camo American flag hat to keep low over my eyes...

I think that WTOR can simply rebuild a gear as well if you didn't want to get the ram assist option, but not 100% on that.

Originally Posted by timmyboy76
While they dance, ill be hanging with Pete sip'n tea with our pinkys in the air, admiring the offroad scene from our cozy 2wd princesses....great ? Pete. Ill go the West route and have box rebuilt with pirts tapoed for the IF.
It is my fault your pinky is flying high Timmy. I have steered (pun intended) yet another thread off topic again, looks like I am wrong already for today. Leaving this one be for now so Carl can make his own decisions and I will go back to upgrading our 5th wheel camper so we can head out west in the spring to see family, friends, drink beer and get some of the new cash crop that CO has to offer.

Good day pinky flying friends! ( <-- not tea cups)

Old 01-08-2019, 09:01 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Here are a few pictures of my setup. I boxed in the stock steering stabilizer mount and welded tabs for the ram to the tie rods bar.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:10 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
I'm with you timmyboy! Do you prefer a good black tea, or something more specialized?

Sous... you're always welcome, but you might need to guard your cooler because I'm just as likely to slip one out as a tea topper!

Old 01-08-2019, 09:38 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My truck has had 35” tires for all but 2k miles of it’s life. The day after towing my boat home from AZ, the tie rod end at the pitman arm broke while I was backing the boat into its spot. When I looked at the failed part, I could see it had broken about half way through long before giving up completely. By adding the ram I halved the stress put on the box and pitman arm and now I can steer aired down at a dead stop with my foot hard on the brakes with one finger.

While this pic is of a failed sector shaft, the break is similar to my rod end break in that it was rusted half way through.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:15 AM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 180 Likes on 116 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous

It is my fault your pinky is flying high Timmy. I have steered (pun intended) yet another thread off topic again, looks like I am wrong already for today. Leaving this one be for now so Carl can make his own decisions
I enjoyed spectating the dance and always welcome you to the dance floor anytime you see fit.

I have gotten in contact with Justin at WOTR and will be placing my order hopefully today. Thanks everyone for helping me spend my money. I just knew I could count on you guys!

Justin says there are 2 ram options. He's out of the 1.5x6,7,8 but has the bigger 1.75x6,7,8. These numbers mean nothing to me right now. I'm about to go explore their FAQs on their website as recommended by Justin to figure out what suits me best but figured I'd ask akcooper, The Brad and anyone else running their stuff to see which one they are using.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:19 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How does the steering feel compared to the stock system. Is it Cadillac light or do you have some road feel left.
Sorry for the derail Carl...

Old 01-08-2019, 10:28 AM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I enjoyed spectating the dance and always welcome you to the dance floor anytime you see fit.

I have gotten in contact with Justin at WOTR and will be placing my order hopefully today. Thanks everyone for helping me spend my money. I just knew I could count on you guys!

Justin says there are 2 ram options. He's out of the 1.5x6,7,8 but has the bigger 1.75x6,7,8. These numbers mean nothing to me right now. I'm about to go explore their FAQs on their website as recommended by Justin to figure out what suits me best but figured I'd ask akcooper, The Brad and anyone else running their stuff to see which one they are using.
I would wait for the 1.5 to be available. The 1.75” will take more fluid volume to actuate and will result in slower lock-lock steering due to the limited volume of the pump and hydro boost.

Originally Posted by BLUEMAX65
How does the steering feel compared to the stock system. Is it Cadillac light or do you have some road feel left.
Sorry for the derail Carl...
​​​​​​​You still have road feel, but it fells more like a rack an pinion with zero slop.

Quick Reply: 'STEER' me in the right direction