Guess they’re getting old - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Guess they’re getting old

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 01-05-2019, 06:51 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.

Hi all
I guess it happens to all of us but my truck (2008 6.4) is beginning to show it’s age.
You may remember I did a thread last summer on drilling out and replacing broken manifold bolts. Worlds worst job.
Well now I’ve got a few more things to add to the ”to do” list.
It’s recently started to drop oil on my driveway. Jumped under this morning and it’s coming from the rear main area.
Anyone have experience pulling a pan?
Today it started blowing white smoke on accel. Tail pipe is nice and dry. Have to check the coolant level when it cools. But I think that’s fine.
One hint is it just started today and today is rainy and cold here in LA (in the 50s)(yup that’s cold here). Could be intercooler?
Happy to yak with anyone with ideas or better yet, experience.
And no I don’t want to sell it and get a Ram. I love this truck.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Torque your pan bolts. I had a weep, did this and I'm dry as a bone so far. 5 out of the group were finger tight.

If I dared, I would drop them and put compound on them before retorq, but Give it a shot.

Denny

Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.turbohunter has a spectacular reputation.
Thanks Denny I’ll give it a shot.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:39 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
Close attention to degas bottle zombie. JS

Old 01-05-2019, 11:52 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Yup, on it.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:19 AM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
My prob was just a coating behind/under the rear of the pan and nothing was on the ground. Retorqued as discussed, hosed it down perfectly, so far solved.

Denny

Old 01-06-2019, 10:31 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Can you drop a pan in an installed engine?

if your getting smoke when cold and it’s not coolant....conn cr a scanner tool to the odbc port and see if you have any glow plug problems

other than that....work rocker tips and bent push rods will create smoke when cold. How’s you mpg. Mine was 8/9 highway before I did my rocker job and now it’s mid to high teens.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:03 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Yeah I don’t think it’s coolant either.
I just replaced a glow plug so I didn’t think to recheck that.
Last time I checked mileage it was 17 ish freeway. But haven’t checked in quite a while.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:14 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Just checked, it’s not throwing any codes.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:00 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
Went under to check the leak.
Its not the pan. Traced it up to the glow plug harness on number 3 which is the plug that got replaced this summer.
Seems to be seated well. Guess it needs a new o ring.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
One more note for the day.
Went out for a drive, no white smoke.
Today is warm and dry.

Just in case some have not seen it.
Ford TSB 11-2-2
https://f01.justanswer.com/bobover/0...-02-02_cac.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: