Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S&B intake FYI

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:40 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
S&B intake FYI

Well having just installed my new intake from Riffraff i had one issue. Seems that the Banks intercooler that i have has larger than stock pipes that interfere with the snorkel being able to reach right out to the grill. Had to cut 2" off of it for it so it would fit. I contacted S&B before hand to let them know about possible clearance issues with after market intercoolers. Nothing of their site mentions this. So just a heads up for anyone with different intercooler than stock.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:08 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Good to know, I also have a Banks IC...

Old 01-06-2019, 04:12 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
cps, can you post a few pics of where the interference is?

Old 01-06-2019, 08:52 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
As you can see the snorkel had to be cut off because it wouldn't fit between the intercooler pipes and the front end frame. Not a big deal, it still should work just fine, had to cut about 2 inches off. The stock one fits because it is thinner and way more flexible

Old 01-06-2019, 10:04 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,749 Posts
Originally Posted by cps
As you can see the snorkel had to be cut off because it wouldn't fit between the intercooler pipes and the front end frame. Not a big deal, it still should work just fine, had to cut about 2 inches off. The stock one fits because it is thinner and way more flexible

Actually, I still can't see!

I clicked on the thumbnail to open it up to make it larger, and it remained the same size, just a tiny thumbnail.

It is hard to get oriented in such a small photo. I see some red sheet metal on the left, and then a light shadow, and then a dark shadow.

I have a Banks intercooler, so I'm interested in seeing what you are talking about.

In my opinion, cutting off the snorkel may not be a big deal, but it is enough of a deal to concern anyone paying $300 for a "cold air intake", because the entire idea of a cold air intake is to get colder, denser, and thus more oxygen rich per cubic foot of air from outside the engine compartment. The air inside the engine compartment is warmed not only by the radiated heat from the exhaust manifolds and turbine, but also by all the heat rejected from the radiator and the four other heat exchangers that is drawn into the engine bay. And all these sources of heat are trapped by the hood and fenders, which have no vents, unlike later Ford Superduties.

I had a similar issue as you did (to the extent that I can understand your issue from words alone, as my eyes are not young enough to see by your photo) when I installed the Ford AIS cold air intake, after already having a Banks intercooler installed.

I ended up having to remove everything and start the installation over again, as the fit was very, very tight. I had to undo and remove the hot side CAC tube. Perhaps irrelevant to your case, I ended up calling Banks for another tube, as the tube I had was an original design from 2000, and Banks apparently redesigned the bend profile of this tube in the years since. The redesign is subtly, but decidedly different, and lines up better to the intercooler inlet, while affording better clearance around the power steering pump and better elbow clocking into the spider. I'm not sure that the CAC tube change really effected the intake snorkle fitment of the AIS, but for the deeper profile of version 2 of the S&B, it might be relevant, if your Banks hot side CAC tube is older than calendar year 2001 (not application specific, but specific to when Banks mandrel bent the tube, based on when Banks improved the bend profile).

For the AIS snorkle, I still had loosen the intercooler mounting bolts, and squeeze the plastic snorkle to get it past the shoulder of the cast alumuinum end tank. This may have been due to the bell mouth flare of the AIS inlet snorkle. The exact details are getting fuzzier with time... but here is what eventually happened.: Once I got the inlet snorkle thread through the rad support properly, everything else was able to be adjusted back in place, and fit without rubbing. It was quite a struggle to get there though, and I almost gave up. But I was bound and determined to distort the snorkle if necessary (it relaxed back into it's original shape and still fit with clearance once installed), if that is what it took to get all the cold air I paid for with the price of the AIS.

One of the things I wanted to see in your photo was if I could tell which CAC tube you had, but more importantly, I guess we should first know which Banks intercooler you have. A lot of guys have retrofit the larger Banks intercooler for the 6.0L application into a 7.3L. The cast end tanks for the 6.0L intercooler are positioned higher up than on the 7.3L intercooler, and the CAC tubes are entirely different yet. So I think for your warning to be useful for future readers, an identification of which Banks Technicooler you are running would be in order, as well as which version of S&B (there were two) cold air intake you were trying to install.

A larger photo might help, but at this point I probably wouldn't be able to add any more information than I already have, so don't go through any additional trouble on my account.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

I clicked on the thumbnail to open it up to make it larger, and it remained the same size, just a tiny thumbnail.

It is hard to get oriented in such a small photo. I see some red sheet metal on the left, and then a light shadow, and then a dark shadow.

I have a Banks intercooler, so I'm interested in seeing what you are talking about.

In my opinion, cutting off the snorkel may not be a big deal, but it is enough of a deal to concern anyone paying $300 for a "cold air intake", because the entire idea of a cold air intake is to get colder, denser, and thus more oxygen rich per cubic foot of air from outside the engine compartment. The air inside the engine compartment is warmed not only by the radiated heat from the exhaust manifolds and turbine, but also by all the heat rejected from the radiator and the four other heat exchangers that is drawn into the engine bay. And all these sources of heat are trapped by the hood and fenders, which have no vents, unlike later Ford Superduties.

I had a similar issue as you did (to the extent that I can understand your issue from words alone, as my eyes are not young enough to see by your photo) when I installed the Ford AIS cold air intake, after already having a Banks intercooler installed.

I ended up having to remove everything and start the installation over again, as the fit was very, very tight. I had to undo and remove the hot side CAC tube. Perhaps irrelevant to your case, I ended up calling Banks for another tube, as the tube I had was an original design from 2000, and Banks apparently redesigned the bend profile of this tube in the years since. The redesign is subtly, but decidedly different, and lines up better to the intercooler inlet, while affording better clearance around the power steering pump and better elbow clocking into the spider. I'm not sure that the CAC tube change really effected the intake snorkle fitment of the AIS, but for the deeper profile of version 2 of the S&B, it might be relevant, if your Banks hot side CAC tube is older than calendar year 2001 (not application specific, but specific to when Banks mandrel bent the tube, based on when Banks improved the bend profile).

For the AIS snorkle, I still had loosen the intercooler mounting bolts, and squeeze the plastic snorkle to get it past the shoulder of the cast alumuinum end tank. This may have been due to the bell mouth flare of the AIS inlet snorkle. The exact details are getting fuzzier with time... but here is what eventually happened.: Once I got the inlet snorkle thread through the rad support properly, everything else was able to be adjusted back in place, and fit without rubbing. It was quite a struggle to get there though, and I almost gave up. But I was bound and determined to distort the snorkle if necessary (it relaxed back into it's original shape and still fit with clearance once installed), if that is what it took to get all the cold air I paid for with the price of the AIS.

One of the things I wanted to see in your photo was if I could tell which CAC tube you had, but more importantly, I guess we should first know which Banks intercooler you have. A lot of guys have retrofit the larger Banks intercooler for the 6.0L application into a 7.3L. The cast end tanks for the 6.0L intercooler are positioned higher up than on the 7.3L intercooler, and the CAC tubes are entirely different yet. So I think for your warning to be useful for future readers, an identification of which Banks Technicooler you are running would be in order, as well as which version of S&B (there were two) cold air intake you were trying to install.

A larger photo might help, but at this point I probably wouldn't be able to add any more information than I already have, so don't go through any additional trouble on my account.
Well i hear what your are saying. But no where in their brochure does it say anything about having fitment issues if you have an aftermarket intercooler.Thats why i called S&B. Mine was installed in 2001 and was for the 7.3 at the time.. As for the S&B, i was not aware there was 2 versions. I assume i have the latest version.
As for the picture the black object is the tube that i cut off,the light shadow is the intercooler outlet, the paint is worn off from the rubbing over all the years from the stock snorkel. The red is the part of the rad support metal on the front clip. If you just use your zoom control on your computer i think you can zoom in enough. It was a tight spot to take a picture to show it in perspective.
I believe i cut it off close enough to get cold air as it comes on the side of the radiator, i guess i could always do the zoodad mod to the grill. not i sure i am there yet.
Moving the intercooler was a deal breaker for me.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:54 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

i hind site i guess i could of taken a heat gun and went for it, not sure how that would have turned out though. lol.