Lower door seal replacement / upgrade? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 1999 to 2016 Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Lower door seal replacement / upgrade?

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Lower door seal replacement / upgrade?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:22 AM
calvinhg
New User
calvinhg is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Lower door seal replacement / upgrade?

So we got a 2000 Superduty CrewCab and a 2004 too. We live two miles of dirt away from the paved road, and recently with all the rain, mud has been an issue. The previously negligible problem we had with the lower door seals sagging has become something we need to fix. (We cleaned the red truck which is why you don't see too much dirt.)

Now the thing is, on the 2000 Superduty, the seal is a tube. Well, more like a box, but you get the picture. We can't just drill a new hole and put a new pushpin in, or take the old pushpin out and replace it.

So we were thinking to replace it with the 2004 seals. Have any of y'all done this? And what did you use to fasten the seal to the door? The pushpins are pretty small, something like an 8th of an inch...
We might just end up getting some old seals from the local junkyard, but we'd rather get new ones... and we still would need pushpins.

Thank you for reading, sorry for the big pics. Looking forward to your answers!
Calvin

Old 01-05-2019, 04:10 AM
seville009
Postmaster
seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.seville009 has a good reputation on FTE.
Havenít done it myself, but I know you can buy complete door seal kits. Presumably it has everything in it, including some sort of adhesive.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:11 AM
super 6.8
Elder User
super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.super 6.8 has a good reputation on FTE.
Removing those lower door seals was one of the first things I did to my brand new truck. The only purpose they serve is to trap dirt and water and promote rust.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:39 AM
FractureCritical
Senior User
FractureCritical is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by super 6.8 View Post
Removing those lower door seals was one of the first things I did to my brand new truck. The only purpose they serve is to trap dirt and water and promote rust.
Yes. Tear them out. They are garbage

Old 01-06-2019, 04:13 PM
calvinhg
New User
I see. But is that also the case in Texas? I get that in Kansas you get rust, but Texas ain't got much of a problem with rust... At least not where we live. Guess I'll try to find that door seal kit.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:53 AM
IDI-Charlie
Posting Guru
IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.IDI-Charlie has a very good reputation on FTE.
I got new pins in mine. Found some at an old parts store from Dorman that I cut down to fit into the seal's holes. Had to push one side in, bend the seal, then install the other. Been a couple years and unfortunately don't recall the part number for them.

EDIT: I believe it was Dorman part #45680 - cut two pieces off the head to make it just as wide as the hole in the weatherstripping, then slide it in.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
I just replaced the originals on my 99. They are still available new from the Ford dealer.

Old 01-07-2019, 06:40 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Jo7.3 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ebay Santa brought me some genuine ford seals (new style ones) for my early 99. They work so much better than the old junk ones that I took off. I'd buy them ASAP as i have a couple of rust spots from the old seals not sealing...the seals had ONE JOB, and they couldn't even do it

Also, the new ones came with all new plastic pins that fit perfect in the holes in the door. I didn't use any adhesive, and so far they're holding in place great.

Old 01-21-2019, 07:55 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
Actually the seals are necessary, whether it be the 99 style or the newer 04 style. Without them dirt rock mud sand salt etc gets flung right into the door bottoms and into the actual door seal. They are designed badly because the block the drain holes for the door itself, on my 2094 I remove them marked the drain holes used a exacto knife to cut the seal out and then reinstalled them onto my doors. Now the stop most of the debris and now let the door drains drain properly

Old 02-06-2019, 06:18 PM
calvinhg
New User
Thank you for all your replies. We ended up going for 04 seals from the local Ford dealer. Trim clips came with.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:26 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User
Let us know how you like them after youíve had them for a little while. Iím pretty happy with my new style seals. However, I can see where the new seals are rubbing up against the rocker panel and taking paint off in certain spots. Anybody else have this issue?

Old 02-07-2019, 08:08 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Post Fiend
SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.SuperDutyScaler has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes rubbing of paint is normal on the seals. When I bought my truck new I installed still proctors to stop that from happening

Old 02-07-2019, 08:19 PM
Jo7.3
Senior User

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.