Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 will not fire.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:52 PM
Mayhem01
New User
Mayhem01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK it cranked!!!!! I changed the oil and filter again. Like I stated previously, it has been less than 200 miles since I changed it before. After changing the oil I tried to start it and it "wound/turned over" for several seconds. I felt like it was not going to crank and I tried it again. This time I noticed that the tach was on "0". I had another CPS in the glove box so I installed it. I also check all the fuses under the hood and found a 7.5 amp fuse blown. I did not have a 7.5 but did have a 20a fuse so I installed it. I tried it again and it turned over and finally started. I let it run several minutes and checked for leaks or smoke. All is good on that end. I drove it up the road maybe 1/2 mile round trip and parked it in the driveway. I let it sit for maybe 2 minutes and tried it again. I had to turn it over for a lot longer than I use to prior to the issue I have had. I am hoping that this is all that was wrong with the truck but I have a funny feeling about this.

One note to add. After I drained the oil it was approx only 2 gallons of oil in the engine.

Any suggestions & thanks for all of y'all knowledge and willingness to share it with a rookie like myself.

Sincerely

Dale G

Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
First remove the 20 A fuse!

Find out what the 7.5A fuse fed and why it blew in the first place.

The oil is probably getting burnt from either a failed o-ring in an injector or a bad seal in the turbo as mentioned earlier. Because you have changed the oil twice in the last 100 miles, a black fuel filter which is the tale tale sign of the failed injector o-ring will not be evident. Search for the Cody test on this forum to help diagnose a failed injector o-ring.

Two gallons of oil in 100 miles should show up in the exhaust pipe if it is failed on the turbine side of the turbo charger. If it failed on the compressor side there should be a lot of oil in the inner cooler.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:30 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
If that much oil is going through the intake I'd be concerned about a runaway. The engine will run on motor oil and you would have no way to shut it down. The only way to stop a runaway diesel is to block the air intake.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM
Mayhem01
New User
I have replaced the 20a with a 7.5a. I have also ordered a new CPS (Purple in color) not the grey one that i removed and installed. Reading on another post about the CPS my 7.3 had all the symptoms of a dying CPS.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:55 PM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
Reading on another post about the CPS my 7.3 had all the symptoms of a dying CPS.
Except the missing oil

Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM
Mayhem01
New User
Very True. I will keep a check on the oil level and see if it drops.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:53 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
If that much oil is going through the intake I'd be concerned about a runaway. The engine will run on motor oil and you would have no way to shut it down. The only way to stop a runaway diesel is to block the air intake.
That was my first thought when I read about the smoke from the exhaust and 2 gallons of missing oil. It would be tough to get a seal on the air intake on our installations.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:11 PM
Mayhem01
New User
I have since started my truck several time and have let it idle for over a hour. There is not any leaks on the concrete and the oil level is right where it needs to be. When I said 2 gallons of oil, it was an estimation of mine judging from how full my oil pan was when I drained the engine. It could have been less & probably was less than the 2 gallons I said. Again I do appreciate everyone's input and advice. It is greatly appreciated. If anything else happens I will definitely come here first!

Sincerely

Dale G (Mayhem)

Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Mayhem01
New User
Update - I drove my truck about 20 miles up the road last week and all was fine. I stopped at a convince store and was driving back to my destination when I notice white smoke from what appeared to be coming from the tail pipe. I reached my destination and walked behind my truck and noticed 2 steady oil lines on the driveway. I looked under my truck and could see 2 pools of oil below the bell-housing. I checked the oil level and it was about 2 quarts low. Stopped at Dollar General and bought 2 gallons of oil to make the 20 mile run back home. Added 1 gallon, before leaving DG which put the level about 1 quart high. I stopped about 1/2 way home and checked the level again and I needed 3 quarts to put me at the 1 qt above full line. I made it home and checked the level again and it was 1/2 gallon low. To me it looked like a rear main seal had gone out from where the oil was leaking from. I did not want to tackle this job at home since I have no way to pull the tranny or engine. Took the truck to a garage for repairs. To find out it was a HPOP hose O-ring that had blown out and was causing the leak. The mechanic said the hose was toward the bak of the engine close to the valley. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before and if so, what could cause this type issue?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Age will cause that problem and you're lucky you found a decent mechanic who didn't take you for a ride.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:42 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a good reputation on FTE.
How many miles on your truck? I recall a post indicating that HPOP lines should be replaced at 125k, and those rubber o-rings see big temperature and pressure every start/run cycle.

Glad you found it, and glad it was easily fixed - could have been a lot worse.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
...... Took the truck to a garage for repairs. To find out it was a HPOP hose O-ring that had blown out and was causing the leak. The mechanic said the hose was toward the bak of the engine close to the valley. Has anyone ever heard of this happening before and if so, what could cause this type issue?

Thanks
Yes we've heard of this type of issue. That's why post #4 in this thread started asking about oil level and we kept asking after that. Both HPOP hoses are in the valley, so either one would leak oil there, which then runs to the back of the motor, drips down, and can look like a rear main seal leak. Under high pressure it can also spray on the exhaust system and cause white smoke. At idle, the pressure likely isn't high enough for the leak to show up enough to drip to the ground.

So the next question is, what exactly did the shop do to fix the issue? There are 2 HPOP hoses, and each hose has an o-ring fitting on each end. Did he fix just the one leaking end of the hose or fix all 4? Or did he just replace the hose with the newer upgraded one? If so, what about the other hose?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.