Towing over mountainpasses a problem. - Page 3 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Towing over mountainpasses a problem.

Notices

Towing over mountainpasses a problem.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:34 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
I have a 2015 F350 XLT SRW. I researched long and hard prior to ordering, determined that a 15K GVWR fiver would be tops for me. Standard rear is 3.31 so I added the plow prep package to get 3.55. Even though I think I am good to 16K, I choose not to go to the max. My current fiver is 10K and I have seen 245 degree oil temps on long up grades. While researching my dream fiver, I pay close attention to GVWR and most that I want are 13-15K. Those over that are longer than I want anyway.
The OP's fiver is definitely in DRW territory.
I have an Edge CTS that I use to monitor several PIDs including soot. One thing I have found is that even with the increased EGTs, soot builds on uphill pulls, then drops rapidly from the peak on down because of the high EGTs and lighter throttle. This may explain the "Drive to Clean" message that some have reported while towing uphill.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:25 PM
Bigcl
New User
Bigcl is starting off with a positive reputation.
Agree with trailer in dually territory with 4:10 gearing. 3:73 at minimum. Is the trailer GVWR 17,500? Or is that your actual weight once everything is loaded?

Last edited by Bigcl; 01-07-2019 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Grammar

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.