Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Crazy idea inspired by Tugly's comments about traction on black ice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:07 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 579 Likes on 374 Posts
The Peoples Republic of Minnesota banned studded tires...gosh, mid '70's?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:10 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Awesome, and completely spot on, rant Cody!

Old 01-04-2019, 05:03 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,916 Likes on 1,930 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
Here in the West, many states have chain requirements. What does MN say about chains? Are they saying that occasional chain wear on bad weather days is better than stud wear through a few months of the year? How much does it cost for damage to state property when people fall off the roads and hit stuff? Do studs even touch the roads in winter months? Aren't you guys pretty much a big snowmobile track? I'm just sharin' thoughts.
Chains are only legal for off-road use. They are definitely not allowed on paved surfaces. I use mine exclusively on frozen lakes and state troopers still look at me funny when they drive by.
As for the snowmobile track, it sure feels that way sometimes! Having said that, I usually call a snow day at work and head out to tow people out of snowbanks.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:14 PM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by cleatus12r
Then again, it's all there because the lot of drivers these days can't be bothered with acquiring SKILL. They NEED things to help them back up, park, and even accelerate/decelerate properly.
This 100%. I think it comes with the general abdication of responsibility in most aspects of life that people seem to have these days.

A transfer case touting All Wheel Drive or Auto 4x4 does not use a solid connection of a chain or gears directly powering the front output. Instead it will use either a viscous coupling or clutch drum driven by the chain. The viscous system is activated by speed differential between the driven member and drive member to apply torque to the front driveshaft. A more common method uses a sprocket-driven clutch pack that has a continuously variable amount of pressure applied to it by the shift motor (through speed sensors and the transfer case control module) to regulate slippage to the front output thus varying the amount of front driveshaft torque. The Four Wheel Drive function of these transfer cases just forces the shift motor to a full-pressure mode of the clutch pack. There is no solid splined connection between the front and rear driveshafts.
The viscuous coupling method is actually what Toyota used in their ST185 and ST205 rally cars of the '80s. The hydraulically modulated clutch pack method is what Audi currently uses in their transverse Haldex-based Quattro. In both cases, the systems are primarily FWD until loss of traction occurs.

If you ever get a chance to ask someone about road damage, ask them how well magnesium/calcium chloride and the concrete bridge surfaces get along. Chlorides literally EAT concrete but yet bridges usually get the crap slathered on like a 5-year old with syrup on pancakes. Worried about the road surface.
Oh I believe you. The stuff I track into my garage has pitted the heck out of the floor. The entire floor will be this stuff sooner or later. https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produc...-Repair-12Z249

Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM
Randyholton
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in Michigan along Lake Michigan. A lot of lake effect snow and have had nokian tires for years ever since I use a friends
truck that had them. Great traction. Quite often when I am plowing ( back and front blade) I will be plowing in 2wd having shifted out of 4wd driving on a road and until I have both blades down and pushing a lot of snow I noticed that I didn’t have it in 4wd. Tremendous amount of traction from the tires.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
What if we could put a differential into the transfer case's output so it behaves like an AWD system? Perhaps a torsen a la Audi longitudinal Quattro? What do you think?
Lucky for you Axletech already makes a AWD 2 speed case that can also lock. they put them in the M1081 so it is plenty beefy for whatever nonsense you care to dish out.

Old 01-04-2019, 07:57 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is being in 4x4 with a normal transfer case that has the front and rear axles locked together helps with breaking. Just about all vehicles have a front brake bias so in slick situations the front will lock up before the rear does, but in 4x4 since the front and rear axles are mechanically linked to spin at the same speed the front and rear will get an even amount of braking. Also I have never seen a fwd car even with snow tires that does as good in the snow as a 4x4 with good tires, I have gone through stuff in my 4x4s that I have never seen a fwd get through, and I have pulled out several stuck fwd and rwd vehicles.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:20 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
Lucky for you Axletech already makes a AWD 2 speed case that can also lock. they put them in the M1081 so it is plenty beefy for whatever nonsense you care to dish out.
Oh you are SO my hero right now. That T600 tcase looks like the ideal solution. I'm afraid to ask them for a quote though.
https://www.axletech.com/at-admin/re...etterweb-2.pdf

Old 01-05-2019, 06:55 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
...If you plan on painting steel wheels with bedliner, is there any reason why you cannot paint aluminum wheels with bedliner? If not, is there any reason why you cannot use the OEM aluminum wheels that you previously took off of Stinky as your winter wheel?
My OEM wheels were bent and causing vibration. That was my original reason to get rid of them.

Chains are only legal for off-road use. They are definitely not allowed on paved surfaces. I use mine exclusively on frozen lakes and state troopers still look at me funny when they drive by....
Chains and studded snows are illegal in MN because of road damage... but they salt the roads?? I thought Washington state was among the first locations to smoke pot without fear of reprisal - but I guess I was wrong. It would appear St Paul now holds that distinction.

Originally Posted by 00t444e
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is being in 4x4 with a normal transfer case that has the front and rear axles locked together helps with breaking. Just about all vehicles have a front brake bias so in slick situations the front will lock up before the rear does, but in 4x4 since the front and rear axles are mechanically linked to spin at the same speed the front and rear will get an even amount of braking. Also I have never seen a fwd car even with snow tires that does as good in the snow as a 4x4 with good tires, I have gone through stuff in my 4x4s that I have never seen a fwd get through, and I have pulled out several stuck fwd and rwd vehicles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMHSBXjiyac
Snow is a whole different beast, that's what 4X4 was made for. The focus so far has been how to address the bane of all tires and drives - ice. When it comes to ice, automated starting and stopping is about as useless as a milk bucket under a bull. You have traction enhancement or you don't. One facilitates stopping, starting, and steering, the other facilitates praying.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM
FordTruckNoob
Originally Posted by Tugly
Chains and studded snows are illegal in MN because of road damage... but they salt the roads?? I thought Washington state was among the first locations to smoke pot without fear of reprisal - but I guess I was wrong. It would appear St Paul now holds that distinction.
Yeah. It makes no sense otherwise. That or they have too much lye in their diet (lutefisk).

Old 01-05-2019, 08:54 AM
Whitey Ford
FTE-Spread The Knowledge

Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts
Florida is beautiful this time of year! Everyone is welcomed! The only ice is in the Yeti......

Old 01-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
61 degrees and sunny in north GA today... Although, reading these types of posts are entertaining, so by all means, carry on...

Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Oh you are SO my hero right now. That T600 tcase looks like the ideal solution. I'm afraid to ask them for a quote though.
https://www.axletech.com/at-admin/re...etterweb-2.pdf

retail is around $7000 if I recal correctly but you see them on eBay and surplus starting about $500, we had a brand new variant of that case sitting around for a race truck project and always thought it would be cool to hack one into my Excursion.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:15 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Sous
61 degrees and sunny in north GA today... Although, reading these types of posts are entertaining, so by all means, carry on...
I will remember this in August when you are as hot as the sun and as humid as the rain forest.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:33 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan V
I will remember this in August when you are as hot as the sun and as humid as the rain forest.
Cold beer, air conditioning, a 3/4 acre pond on the property and 1 mile from the lake takes care of all of those seasonal "issues".

Quick Reply: Crazy idea inspired by Tugly's comments about traction on black ice