New Guy, Old Truck - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

New Guy, Old Truck

Old 01-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Alaskan66
Freshman User
Alaskan66 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ouch!!!
That’s some serious cancer, possibly terminal depending on how much time and money you’re willing to expend.
You’ll need to take a long sober look at how far the rot has gotten. I would’ve thought a Kansas truck would be fairly sound. Do they salt the roads there?
You might be ahead of the game finding a solid donor truck and transferring as much bling and viable parts from this truck as possible. That would make it like the axe I have In the barn. It belonged to my great grandfather. Grandpa replaced the handle a few times and Dad replaced the head on it. Outside of that it’s exactly the same as when great Grandpa bought it.
Bottom line? The axe is as good as it ever was and is a pleasure to use.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:15 PM
Gsf35099
Freshman User
Gsf35099 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Like others have said, great story and welcome. The rust is unfortunate, but these old trucks are such a blast to work on. I wish I still had my 62 step side, but I finally got me a 66 F100 restored that still needed/needs some minor TLC and I absolutely love tinkering with it.

My my middle son has a 68 C10 he bought from the oldest son and is stripping it down to work the frame and body. He has some similar rust issues and told me last night he's found replacement body parts that he's going to cut in and replace 60% of the cab. Fortunately he's a body man. . It's all about what you're wanting to do. Best of luck to you and I'm sure you will find the balance that fits your wants, needs, and pocket book. . Keep updates coming.

Old 01-04-2019, 10:05 PM
FordsOnlyGarage
Junior User
FordsOnlyGarage is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by burban77 View Post
...I learned to drive on this truck when I was 12 years old hauling hay around the farm....
This truck has a ton of sentimental meaning to me. My grandpa was my best friend growing up and we spent hours upon hours over many years in this truck together. I think it would be the coolest thing ever to get it back to its glory days. And even cooler to have something to hand down to my son in the future.
Great story! I would love to have the old '52 Chev I learned to drive on the farm (also when I was 12).
Do NOT let this truck get away from you!!
As other have said, #1 concern is safety. Replace ALL the brakes. I just picked up a '62 F100 a few weeks ago (build thread will be coming shortly).
I was able to buy all new new shoes, wheel cylinders, master cylinder, hoses F&R, front wheel bearings, rear axle lines and have the drums machined for less than $400.
Then do some patching here and there, and DRIVE IT!
Lemme know if you need any help with wiring or electrical (I live in Stillwater). I'm a former automotive field engineer, and I love to solve electrical problems.
PS - on cool old Ford trucks with sentimental value - I work for free!

Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 AM
66v8baby
Elder User
66v8baby is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Cool truck, cool story. The rust is pretty bad on the body panels, but as long as the frame is solid you can take your time with the cosmetic repairs. You don't have to fix it all at once.

I also like to keep the brakes period correct although I increased the size all the way around using '68 up parts (3 x 11 front, 2.25 x 11 rear). I've driven '66 trucks both with and without the factory booster, and IMO the little single diaphragm booster makes a huge difference and is definitely worth the investment. After a while I forgot I was driving on drums. I agree with a previous post that the linings available today are way better than the organic linings available in the 60s and 70s. Along those lines, there's a company in Texas called Muscle Car brakes that will build a custom set of shoes using carbon/ceramic that can handle way more heat than "regular" modern shoe linings before fading. I haven't been able to test the new shoes since I started a major renovation, but I'm getting pretty close. Other than that, make it safe and that will make it fun.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:05 PM
dubya TF
Freshman User
dubya TF is starting off with a positive reputation.
Enjoy the build with your family! Pull those front fenders, check the cowl, cowl sides, front cab mounts and floor pans closely. It's no big deal to chop that stuff out, learn to shape some metal and weld it back together. I recommend a couple gallons of POR15 if you never want it to rust again. If you know this page, you know all the parts suppliers already too.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:47 PM
burban77
New User
burban77 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by dubya TF View Post
Enjoy the build with your family! Pull those front fenders, check the cowl, cowl sides, front cab mounts and floor pans closely. It's no big deal to chop that stuff out, learn to shape some metal and weld it back together. I recommend a couple gallons of POR15 if you never want it to rust again. If you know this page, you know all the parts suppliers already too.
Thanks for the encouragement! Itís so good to hear reassurance from everyone on here. Iíve been plotting over the winter about how and when to get Grandpaís truck up to Minnesota, which tools and equipment Iím still in need of, and reading the LMC Truck catalog from front to back a few times. Iím really excited to get going on this and canít wait to lean on you guys for help as well as share the experience as it happens.

Old 03-15-2019, 04:54 AM
Adammc224
New User
Adammc224 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Very cool, go for it!! I am in the process of restoring the same year and model truck as well. Feel free to keep in touch, maybe we can bounce ideas and sources for parts of each other. The link below is to my google photo album of my project.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/sJgGUbj7RTAULETQ8

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.