N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Jan 2019 all topic thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 04:23 PM
olfordsnstone
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bridgeport California gets down, at times, -40 to -50. It's actually been known to hold the national low from time to time. And it's right here in California! I lived about 11 miles outside of Bridgeport (Twin Lakes) for one winter back in the mid 90's. I loved it but DW hated it. It was too remote and cold for her but I found it peaceful. You need to cover and protect your airway when it gets down that cold. I have a good friend in Bemidji Minnesota. He likes it, but then again, he's single LOL.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:08 AM
04badford
Lead Driver
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys Happy New Year , all this talk about cold I had to throw another Log on the fire , well found out why my truck shook like crazy while stopping , two front Rotors were warped , and they were only three years old , this makes number three install for rotors , the last two sets I had somebody else did them , not any more , you know for what these mechanics charge you would think they would pack bearings and install the higher rated rotor , NOT, he’ll with them I’ll do the job my self ,
just finished up another room ( my Office ) today , Brazilian Cherry hardwood solid floor, now I get to put alllllllllll the furniture Desks , chairs , files , deer mount, pictures , and memorbil back in place , and the sad part I don’t get paid for working on my own home , but I do get to Enjoy it , no more grand kids will ever live with us ( EVERrrrrrrr)

Old 01-04-2019, 10:24 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by 04badford
just finished up another room ( my Office ) today , Brazilian Cherry hardwood solid floor, now I get to put alllllllllll the furniture Desks , chairs , files , deer mount, pictures , and memorbil back in place , and the sad part I don’t get paid for working on my own home , but I do get to Enjoy it , no more grand kids will ever live with us ( EVERrrrrrrr)
Hey, the way I look at it is that money you don't pay to someone else is money you are paying yourself. It's just harder to spend.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:13 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 123 Likes on 119 Posts
Going to be very quiet with no grand kids around.

Jim

Old 01-04-2019, 09:20 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 230 Likes on 205 Posts
Originally Posted by olfordsnstone
When I showed up at work this morning it was 5*.

When I showed up at work this morning, Human Resources was there to greet me with an order for a drug test.

I reported to the lab facility, signed in, and was placed in a room with a toilet that had no tank. Flush control was locked behind a panel. I guess they're serious about people not cheating. All test samples are collected by a lab tech.

In walks the lab tech with a clip board and specimen cup.

"5150, I thought that was your name on the lab order!"

"Oh, Sheila! You're collecting my lab? And you're pregnant!"

Someone I know had to watch me pee in a cup., Someone I was once intimate with. Weird!

"5150, it's a boy. My 2nd son. Want to feel the baby kick?" Even weirder. None of her kids are mine, thank goodness!

"5150, I said you could touch my stomach to feel the kid kick. Not reach in and give him a high 5!"

Now I remember why we're no longer an item. She has no sense of humor.

Old 01-05-2019, 02:32 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Um...okay. Thanks for that report. LOL

I am having computer issues here. Two weeks ago, the monitor for one of the HP desktops stopped working. Then this past Thursday, my grand daughter accidentally kicks the power button on my main computer while I am watching a YouTube video, and now it will not boot up. I tried safe mode, I treid a system restore, even tried the recovery disks, no go. System restore stops in the middle and says it cannot continue, booting in safe mode gets me past the log in screen, but then goes to the blue screen of death with a WHEA unrecoverable error message, and trying to use the recovery disks to reset the PC also gives me that message. So basically I am screwed. All my grand kids pics are on that HD, as well as my Quicken files. I need to get those off of there before I try to reformat and reinstall the OS. I have a external HD on my Xbox One, I can take out of the enclosure, and install. Maybe I can format it to Windows, and install the OS on it, then use my original Hd as a second one, just long enough to get my files off of it.

Jim

Old 01-05-2019, 02:48 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
None of your files was backed up in an external hard drive or in the cloud?

Old 01-05-2019, 05:59 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
We have a 2-month rolling backup that runs every day to our NAS. That way if we discover on the 15th that we've had a data-destroying virus for the last couple of weeks (or even longer), we can go back to the last known good. Having worked for business fault-tolerant computer companies for 23+ years taught me to paranoid about data.

Recently, I picked up a new mid-range Chromebook (I got the HP X360-14) that changes the equation completely. It stores an absolute minimum on the laptop itself, and instead puts as much stuff in the cloud as possible. It is also blazingly fast. Starts up from powered off to login in literally 2 seconds. My plan is to shift all my stuff to this box. If it goes toes up, I can reset it back to factory new (they call it power wash) and viola! new computer. You can also pick up anyone's chromebook and login with your own ID, and all your stuff is there.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:52 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Only my music files were backed up to laptop, I do have some of my grand kids pics on the laptop as well, but nothing recent. Can't believe I got so lax in doing backups.

Jim

Old 01-06-2019, 02:18 AM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
I enjoy budget price Bushmill's, Irish Whiskey, as much as high price single malt scotch.

5150 is in the midst of another adventure, privy only to single men......and married men who dare cheat on their wives.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:28 AM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Happy Sunday all. Of course, it is almost over, but hey, better late than never.

Jim

Old 01-07-2019, 09:44 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
We had some bodacious winds yesterday. Our weather station recorded 75 MPH. So it was kind of "excitin'" here yesterday. Also got about 2-1/4" of rain.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:27 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Isn't 75 mph hurricane weather?

Jim

Old 01-07-2019, 05:19 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Nighteyez
Isn't 75 mph hurricane weather?

Jim
It might be, but we consider it somewhat pedestrian around here. Several weeks ago we saw 85 MPH gusts. 23 years ago, the weather station departed the premises at a recorded 112 MPH.

Yes. We live in a windy area.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:59 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Despite the knowledge that front wheel drive is better for handling in rain & snow, I still feel safer in my rear wheel drive truck. Maybe it's just being in a larger, heavier vehicle, with a solid steel frame.

Quick Reply: Jan 2019 all topic thread