Join Chapter, Leader: Yahiko

2019 Annual B.S. Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2019, 12:22 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts
Originally Posted by Bently_Coop
@Sparky83 got it, any room to weld a bung on the outside?
yup... but cant get the pipe out to get it to my welder... which was what i tried to do today... (really wish i could figure out how yall do that tagging thing in the posts)...

which is why i was thinking of just drilling and tapping then adding a nut on the inside for added strength....

Old 02-16-2019, 02:05 AM
Bently_Coop
Lead Driver
Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparky83
yup... but cant get the pipe out to get it to my welder... which was what i tried to do today... (really wish i could figure out how yall do that tagging thing in the posts)...

which is why i was thinking of just drilling and tapping then adding a nut on the inside for added strength....
use the @ symbol and type the screen name directly after, it will auto generate.

Now I understand your issue more.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Why so big? Get a good deal?

I've been looking at the Dewalt 15 gallon but no space or funding right now. Also not a top priority.

Yes a good deal being an Ingersoll Rand of that size.

Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Now I understand your issue more.
yeah kinda why i wish my equipment was gas powered and not "you gotta have an outlet within 2 ft to power me"... ntm the short leads are just as annoying...

right now the trucks about 100 ft away from where the welder is... in order to get it close enough i would need it literally right against the back door for the garage...

Old 02-16-2019, 02:28 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Are you thinking of using a stick welder?

Old 02-16-2019, 02:29 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Are you thinking of using a stick welder?
mig.... my stick welder has the same issue.... but dont have any Stainless rods for the stick... only got stainless wire for the mig....

Old 02-16-2019, 03:55 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Well one option is to find a shop that does exhaust system workand get everything all back together and running.
Then take it over and have them weld tjhe bung on for you.

Old 02-16-2019, 04:26 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Well one option is to find a shop that does exhaust system workand get everything all back together and running.
Then take it over and have them weld tjhe bung on for you.
at which point im paying someone to weld something i could do myself... provided i could get the friggin pipe outta the truck...

i just look at something like that as someone taking their car in and telling them to put air in their tires even though they have a perfectly good air compressor sitting right next to their vehicle... plus once its back together i wouldnt be able to get to where the bung would need to be... supposed to be within 2 inches of the turbo outlet... would be nice if i could just get that stupid pipe out....

Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Received 3,545 Likes on 1,414 Posts
@Sparky83
Shawn, If you remove the cross member on the transmission can you lower the back of the motor and get the pipe out? Just a thought as I had to do that to install a larger pipe on my 97' with a 7.3. Maybe even remove one of the motor mounts? I know it's getting into a lot of work but beats having someone else air up your tires. LOL Just watch the front of the motor that you don't damage the radiator with the fan.

Tim

Old 02-16-2019, 10:31 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Tim Young
@Sparky83
Shawn, If you remove the cross member on the transmission can you lower the back of the motor and get the pipe out? Just a thought as I had to do that to install a larger pipe on my 97' with a 7.3. Maybe even remove one of the motor mounts? I know it's getting into a lot of work but beats having someone else air up your tires. LOL Just watch the front of the motor that you don't damage the radiator with the fan.

Tim
i had the cross member out and had a jack on the transfer case & transmission holding it in place... my problem was the pipes getting pinned between the motor and the firewall/up pipe when i try to turn it to get the turbo flange down behind the motor.. ntm getting caught on the cross over pipe for the heater core return and the picking flange thats on the back end of the head.. if i lowered the back of the engine by dropping the tail end of the tranny id just pin that pipe even more... cant remember how much room i had to go up with the tail end of the transfer case though... dont think there was much there...

Old 02-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
Got it. So it sounds like you have a plan, with installing the Pyro with a nut on the inside of the pipe. I wonder if doing that would cause the tip of the pyro to be to far inside the pipe? And also I wonder about having the nut on the inside if it wouldn't cause more turbulence and somewhat of a restriction?

Old 02-16-2019, 11:32 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Tim Young
Got it. So it sounds like you have a plan, with installing the Pyro with a nut on the inside of the pipe. I wonder if doing that would cause the tip of the pyro to be to far inside the pipe? And also I wonder about having the nut on the inside if it wouldn't cause more turbulence and somewhat of a restriction?
the pyro probe itself is adjusted with a set screw... the nut from the pictures i find online of them is fairly flat... the fitting that holds the sensor would be larger...

id try the band clamp one except for the band is designed for smaller pipes than the diameter of diesel pipes...

Temp probe...

im more worried about the nut vibrating off and finding its way back to the turbo... even though its called a lock nut i kinda worry about it doing that... its not a nylon one..

Old 02-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Tim Young
Hotshot
I didn't realize they actually make something like that. Cool! That looks like a great plan! You'd be better off with the little nut they provide, then a nylon locknut.

Old 02-16-2019, 11:50 AM
Sparky83
FTE Legend
the little nut id be buying from another company.. kit didnt come with a nut...

if they were nylon i know that stuff would melt in the heat of the exhaust... with it not having that and just being called a lock nut im still worried itd vibrate off..

Old 02-16-2019, 02:14 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Second pain in the *** idea.
What about dropping one of the motor mounts? I know that is going to be a lot of juggling.
However it might give you the needed space. Your trying to do what I was almost going to do.

Quick Reply: 2019 Annual B.S. Thread!