2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Cab Lights Leaking after 400 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 05:34 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cab Lights Leaking after 400 miles

Just traded last weekend for a 2019 F250 Crew Cab, pulled out of work today, been raining all day, water started pouring out of the upfitter switches. Took it straight to the dealer and they have an outside contractor coming in Wednesday to fix it. I informed them I didnt want a big caulk job filling up the goofy gaps in the poor fitting lights, he said oh no he tests each one and seals as needed, wont see any sealant. Ive read about the moonroof issues but is this common? Any TSB anyone knows of? My truck does not have a moonroof...

Old 12-31-2018, 05:46 PM
HST
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Sorry to hear that, I would be angry. My 19' didn't have the clearance lights like I have always loved and had on previous trucks. I guess it's one less thing to worry about after hearing this. Hopefully they get it taken care of once and for all.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:17 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by HST
Sorry to hear that, I would be angry. My 19' didn't have the clearance lights like I have always loved and had on previous trucks. I guess it's one less thing to worry about after hearing this. Hopefully they get it taken care of once and for all.
I have had OEM and 3rd party cab lights for years, never a leak from either. I also go thru those drive thru car washes no issues...

The following users liked this post:
Old 12-31-2018, 06:22 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Well my luck is pretty much, if it can go wrong it will be mine. I had driven in rain and had washed it twice with no issue, today it looked like niagra falls, guess let them do their thing and hope for the best.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:27 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Brandon606
Well my luck is pretty much, if it can go wrong it will be mine. I had driven in rain and had washed it twice with no issue, today it looked like niagra falls, guess let them do their thing and hope for the best.
Ever looked close at those things??

The front does not sit completely against the roof, so a driving rain can certainly get up in and possible leak. My suggestion would be to take some Clear waterproof sealant and cut the tip off so its real fine point and squirt that up in the gap, problem solved.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:44 PM
jaxf250
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is for 2017, but probably gives you an idea of what to look for :

https://youtu.be/o49hwE08t7w

Old 12-31-2018, 06:55 PM
STIBUILDER
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like a lot of work having a 3rd party come out for a hours worth of work and some foam seals. Unless your truck has the updated seals already. Honestly when my truck comes in im just replacing all the cab light seals with the upgraded part and be done with it.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:56 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by jaxf250
This is for 2017, but probably gives you an idea of what to look for :

https://youtu.be/o49hwE08t7w
Yep, thats the same as mine, thanks for the video. I am letting them do their thing, Water Doctor is the company they use. Hopefully they remove them all and reseal and its back to normal it was the rear of the light that lesked, aa I pulled out I had to stop and water ran down the windshield when the monsoon hit, explains why driving it never leaked.

Old 12-31-2018, 06:57 PM
Brandon606
Senior User
Originally Posted by STIBUILDER
Seems like a lot of work having a 3rd party come out for a hours worth of work and some foam seals. Unless your truck has the updated seals already. Honestly when my truck comes in im just replacing all the cab light seals with the upgraded part and be done with it.
You would think mine has the updated seals, build date 9/18?

Old 01-01-2019, 12:43 AM
Mack3006
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
What is the updated part? I’m assuming new seals ?
Does anyone have a part number for those ?

Old 01-01-2019, 08:08 AM
GoldenDomer
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2017 and a few weeks ago my son jumped in after school and water was leaking from the handle on the pillar on the front passenger side. Due to the location I thought the drain hose for the moon roof might have been clogged. Nope, took it in and was told that the two cab lights on the right were leaking. They said the other 3 weren't leaking so they didn't mess with them. I'm going to do what Don suggested and go ahead and put a small bead of sealant around them all so hopefully I dont have to worry about it again. Funny thing is that the tech that worked on my truck said it looked like I ran under some low hanging branches and that is what caused the seal to loosen up and leak. I called BS on that but they replaced the 2 lights and did a water test. Everything was covered under warranty. It they thought it was my fault for driving under low hanging branches I dont see how they would have been able to get Ford to cover it under warranty. My guess is thats the only thing the tech could think of to tell me as to why they started leaking. However, it did take a year and a half for any of them to leak.

Old 01-01-2019, 09:46 AM
Pucker
5th Wheeling
Ugh...and this is why I went without cab lights (and moonroof for that matter.) I don't need any additional reasons to drop truck off at dealer. I keep my vehicles long term, and this type of hassle gets old quick.

BTW, this is not a slam on OP, or attempt to thread-jack. Just an opinion that I hope others in the process of buying will see.

Some obviously love the moonroof, and some feel a big truck without cab lights is blasphemy. But if you're on the fence, I'd skip both.

Yes, I had to wait for my truck...as all dealership trucks had a moonroof, and several also had cab lights. They also had snow-plow springs...even though I live in the South, but don't get me started on that logic.

Old 01-01-2019, 10:05 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Pucker
Ugh...and this is why I went without cab lights (and moonroof for that matter.) I don't need any additional reasons to drop truck off at dealer. I keep my vehicles long term, and this type of hassle gets old quick.

BTW, this is not a slam on OP, or attempt to thread-jack. Just an opinion that I hope others in the process of buying will see.

Some obviously love the moonroof, and some feel a big truck without cab lights is blasphemy. But if you're on the fence, I'd skip both.

Yes, I had to wait for my truck...as all dealership trucks had a moonroof, and several also had cab lights. They also had snow-plow springs...even though I live in the South, but don't get me started on that logic.
I live in S. Ca. and mine came with a block heater.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:10 PM
Pucker
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by 69cj
I live in S. Ca. and mine came with a block heater.
I think ALL diesels should come with the cord to plug it in (they all have the heater). There are no downsides to having it. Same with the rapid-heat cab heater.

HOWEVER... running plow springs, not only on a southern truck...but a truck I'll NEVER put a plow on, just makes for a stiffer ride 100% of the time. I'd wager that less than 1/4 of a percent of trucks sold in the south ever end up with a plow. Heck, even most northern trucks won't....so why make the ride worse for no reason?

.... See, that's why I said "don't get me started."

Old 01-02-2019, 08:42 AM
Brandon606
Senior User
Dropped it off this morning, did some talking with the parts guy since I know him pretty well. My truck has the thicker gaskets, the thinner gaskets were on the first batch of 17’s. Waiting to see what they come up with....

Quick Reply: Cab Lights Leaking after 400 miles