buying 2 channel pyrometer (dual inputs), which one to chose - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

buying 2 channel pyrometer (dual inputs), which one to chose

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-31-2018, 05:28 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
eyyu is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

looking to buy a single 2" pyrometer gauge with dual inputs to put on the 3 pod a-pillar mount along with ATF temp and boost gauge. Glowshift makes a kit for $200. autometer also has one but cannot find who sells it. any inputs? Thx. Erwin

Old 12-31-2018, 10:45 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Dont think that gauge will fit...get the regular tinted series egt gauges and a fuel pressure gauge fir the A pillar. Everything else monitored thru the obd

Old 12-31-2018, 11:39 PM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by eyyu View Post
looking to buy a single 2" pyrometer gauge with dual inputs.. Glowshift makes a kit for $200. autometer also has one but cannot find who sells it.
Erwin...

Phantasm Tuning is advertising a Phantom faced Autometer 2 Channel Pyrometer for only $100 ($100 discount currently, normally $200). Model 5766

AUTO METER (5766) EGT / PYROMETER GAUGE KIT, 2-1/16 INCH, 600-1600 F, PHANTOM SERIES - PHANTASM TUNING

The actual face of the Phantom version is white though...

Alternative gauge faces for Autometer's 2 channel Pyrometer can be found by searching the seven applicable Autometer gauge part numbers found at the top of the 2 Channel Pyrometer instructions in the link below:

https://www.autometer.com/media/2650-746A.pdf

There, that little bit of research on your behalf closes out 2018 with my last (and arguably my only) good deed done for the year.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:20 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Y2KW57 View Post
There, that little bit of research on your behalf closes out 2018 with my last (and arguably my only) good deed done for the year.
Many good deeds my man!

This gauge is from the aviation world so it's 2 inches not 2 and a sixteenth, but I like the graphical nature of the display. Simple to understand and a driver side to passenger side discrepancy is obvious. Swift gauge 2".

Old 01-01-2019, 01:37 AM
Y2KW57
Postmaster
Y2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputationY2KW57 has a superb reputation
Now THAT's the old school DiPricol gauge right there David. That's what HyperMax used to sell in the mid 90's to the 94-97 crowd, before the SuperDuty was introduced in 1999. That gauge is a walk down memory lane 20 years.

I get crosseyed looking at it though. "So wait, is it the right manifold that's hot or the left? The needle is on the right, but the scale is on the left, but then there is this needle on the left and scale on the right? What does it all meeeeeeeeaaaan?"

Old 01-01-2019, 09:07 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
Guys. Thx for the good leads n ideas. Out hiking to burn some holiday fat today. Will look into it tonight. Happy new year to all.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:13 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Many good deeds my man!

This gauge is from the aviation world so it's 2 inches not 2 and a sixteenth, but I like the graphical nature of the display. Simple to understand and a driver side to passenger side discrepancy is obvious. Swift gauge 2".

I'm looking into this. I like the looks of this type gauge. Only concerns are:
1. is the 48" lead long enough to reach the dash?
2. Is the quality ok. Is your holding alright?
Thx

Old 01-09-2019, 09:58 AM
AllaboutMPG
Postmaster
AllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to beholdAllaboutMPG is a splendid one to behold
2. Is the quality ok.
Thx
Talked with a buddy who works on small acft and asked him about reliability. He said they must be pretty good because I never have to work on / replace them.

Old 01-09-2019, 10:24 AM
Bill Kay
Senior User
Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Bill Kay is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just help a buddy of mine install these brand gauges in his truck. They were in a box behind the seat when he bought the truck where the previous owner never installed them. They felt like quality products and installed easily. He only had a single pyro but opposite the pyro in the same gauge face was the boost gauge. The other gauge had dual needles in it and they were trans temp and diff temp.

As far as the Pyro leads go it had the one that connected the the gauge which was about 2' long and an extension that went to the probe that was about 3-4' long so reaching the passenger exhaust manifold with the pyro wire may require the extension but is doable.

Old 01-10-2019, 12:48 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
I'm looking into this. I like the looks of this type gauge. Only concerns are:
1. is the 48" lead long enough to reach the dash?
2. Is the quality ok. Is your holding alright?
Thx
That dual gauge is on my wish list. About 10th place. For me the display is intuitive, but YMMV. I have a single Isspro for EGT. 48" from A pillar to DS manifold is easy, not so sure about PS tho. To be a stickler when it comes to pyrometers not just any wire will do, it should be correct for the application. Example. But in my experience that is for applications where reading accuracy is critical, when 1800F needs to be freaking 1800F on calibrated gauges. But for EGTs on a diesel truck the absolute number is not so important as the relative value. IE + or - 25 degrees doesn't matter, you just need to know if temps are getting "up there", or different from side to side. So I'd be comfortable using plain copper wire for extending the lead on these trucks.

AFAIK anything made for aircraft use is going to be quality merchandise. Can't just pull over and call AAA if it breaks ya know?

Y2K thanks for the info on Dipricol. They were well regarded when I was in the market for gauges and I was about to pull the trigger, but I had to change plans when they suddenly went under. But I'm not disappointed with the Isspros.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
Going through all the options, I might pull the trigger on the auto meter dual input gauge kit for $100 deal. Plus 2 probes for about $100 each. However I still like the looks of the airplane gauge.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:10 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
Was just thinking of this gauge yesterday. Gotta tow a 26ft enclosed mightymover come the end of the month. Other truck thats set with gauges, is driven by pops and being the people mover.
Cant go wrong with this gauge. If the d/s pyro reads the "left" display numbers, your golden then. If, the d/s pyro reads the "right" display numbers, then just install pyro on p/s manifold..
My ocd gets the best of me. If things in garage has yet to be used for awhile, out it goes. Gotta re purchase either the Apilar gauge or the underdash gauge

Old 01-17-2019, 09:59 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
was going to get the autometer dual pyrometer thing. it would be a good deal. However, can't resist the urge to try something new (have autometer on other truck), got the cool liking swift gauge 2 with 2 probes for under 150 with shipping. will see how it work.

Old 02-25-2019, 11:09 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD
Got that DiPricol gauge made by swift gauge, sold by Aircraft Bruce. Looks and feels good. Was in the process installing it yesterday. Ran into wiring issue and hope someone can help me out if u had the experience installing it in the past. The single sheet instruction and wiring diagram sheet is wrong in my opinion. there are 4 pins on the back of gauge (1, 3, 4, 5). It’s saying that white wire from the 2 probes goes to pin #1 and 5 respectively and the black one goes to 3 and 4. It also says that you should not connect to any extra power or you damage the gauge. That sounds wired to me since the thermocouple measures the temp using change in resistance. Guys at Aircraft Spruce has no idea how to help me. They are asking my to contact the manufacture which is in China. Who knows how long it may take to figure things out. Thx.
Swift Gauge
DE1-16F
EGT&EGT 400~1600F
CFI

Old 02-25-2019, 11:35 AM
Walleye Hunter
Post Fiend
Walleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to beholdWalleye Hunter is a splendid one to behold
Did you check on YouTube?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.