Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

buying 2 channel pyrometer (dual inputs), which one to chose

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 01:18 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can't find any relevant youtubem pictures of the correct diagram or write up so far. spent hours looking, very tired of it. I knew that it's not going to be as straight forward as getting a issopro or other typical gauges as I used to get. I just want to try something new. Obviously that comes with a learning curve.

Old 02-25-2019, 01:32 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by eyyu
can't find any relevant youtubem pictures of the correct diagram or write up so far. spent hours looking, very tired of it. I knew that it's not going to be as straight forward as getting a issopro or other typical gauges as I used to get. I just want to try something new. Obviously that comes with a learning curve.
I hear ya and I like that you went for it. Is it possible that they can work without power being added? can you hook them up on the bench and hit them with a torch and see if it registers?

Old 02-25-2019, 01:42 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

I did try it with the probe in a boiling oil pan in the kitchen. it did not move. temp might be too low. I'll torch it tonight. It still defies everything I know about physics. electricity is not generated by high temperature along, no matter how high. Temperature differential can indeed generate electricity.

Old 02-25-2019, 03:27 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

did more reading and came across this, very interesting. It's from some experts in the field. It might just work w/o external power. If it does register when I torch it tonight, what will still puzzle me is how does it get power to do the cold junction electrical compensation. can't wait to find out.

"How to measuere temperature with a Type K ThermocoupleA thermocouple circuit contains the two alloy junctions, wire sand connectors and a voltage measuring device. When the two junctions are experiencing different temperatures, measurable current flows through the circuit. The current is related to the temperature differential. Because the measurement is relative, one of the temperatures must be known in order to calculate an absolute temperature. In early thermocouples, one junction was kept at 0° C by immersing it in an ice water bath. Today, one of the junctions, the "cold junction," is electrically compensated to maintain a standard. The other junction, the "hot junction," is exposed to the environment to be measured.

Collecting data from a type K thermocouple

A Type K thermocouple can be connected to a voltmeter for simple data collection. In this case, the output is a voltage, and the reader has to convert the voltage level to temperature using a conversion formula. To record data, the thermocouple can be connected to a data logger or a data acquisition system to store collected data. In these cases, a conversion circuit or a software operation can be used to calculate the temperature using the voltage output."

Old 02-25-2019, 03:33 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Old 02-25-2019, 08:49 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

NO, not registering when torched so my theory is not true. Have to figure out with the manufacture or go back to isopro or something I know well

Old 02-25-2019, 08:57 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Hmmm do you have a small airport nearby? You could go ask their mechanic(s).

Old 02-26-2019, 08:47 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
A thermocouple/pyrometer probe generates electricity when heated, it's not a resistor that varies with temperature. The gauge/meter connected to it will translate the voltage to a temperature reading.

Old 02-26-2019, 09:49 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

That what I found out. when I heated it up with a torch the needle did not move. Maybe I did not heat it hot enough, afraid of burn it.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:29 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Originally Posted by eyyu
That what I found out. when I heated it up with a torch the needle did not move. Maybe I did not heat it hot enough, afraid of burn it.
If you're using propane I think you'd have to work pretty hard to burn it, remember, it's good for 1250* or more.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:39 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Alright, I'll heat it harder tonight. I was thinking 1200F is only about 600C, 1600F 800C. that's why I did not burn it hard.

Old 02-26-2019, 08:21 PM
The Grand Pooh-Bah
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thermocouples produce D.C. voltage. We are talking about millavolts here. 1000 mv = 1vD.C.
I'd be shocked it a Pyrometer thermocouple produced anything over 400mv, likely much less.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:56 AM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Look at the graph a few replies before, type K produces only 50 mV at 1200C and 30 mV at 800C which is about 1600F. The question is whether that’s enough to move the needle of a. Rey sensitive gauge. Or, is it possible to measure egt without external power supplies. This is what I’m trying to figure out here.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:27 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
The little pilot light of a furnace or oven makes enough juice to open the gas solenoid so moving a needle seems like nothing.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:25 PM
eyyu
Bricks & PSD

Leant a lot

Dry fit with duck tape
Got it worked out, hopefully in a correct way. The two generic egt probes seem to work with the new auto meter Phantom gauge line with 2 inputs. I’m going to get a autometer type k probe just to see if it read the same.

I’m pretty happy with how this experiment turned out. The set up looks kind of wired but I like it. Instead of having two gauge system that I know will work well for me, I now got a biggish black box mounted on top of the a pillar that controls how and what the gauge displays AND the actual gauge at the bottom. U can set the alarm point for both channels on the box. The gauge can only display the value of in probe manually or the one with the higher value automatically. It will automatically log the peak ready from both in its internal memory and can be manually retrieved. The whole thing feels like old school electronics, kind of cool for an electronic nut like me.

Quick Reply: buying 2 channel pyrometer (dual inputs), which one to chose