1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Stinky issues. Anybody got a 7.3 SD for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:07 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Still going through all the "debris" we shoved into boxes, bags, and sacks - we had a revelation this morning. Our brand new stainless steel Contigo thermal coffee mugs were in the cup holders between us during the crash, and both cups are dented. That might explain the bump to the right side of the head I felt in the rollover.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,919 Likes on 1,932 Posts
What was the air temperature that morning? Did your local DOT not treat the roads?

Old 01-02-2019, 10:04 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Rich, I am just now seeing this. Sorry I am late to the game. I can echo the sentiments already stated. I don't care about the truck, but much more that you and your other half are unscathed save a heart attack. On the truck front, I think you'll end up on the shiny side. I am happy you are with us to take us through another revival LOL. Again, happy you are ok.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
The roads had the tell-tale lines of de-icer from earlier in the morning, the sun was out, and the air temp was 38 degrees F. When you look between the lanes, evaporated de-icer and frost look identical to each other under the right conditions (we saw this many times on our trip before now) - but I figured the warm temps would make the frost go away pretty quick... so I guessed it was salt. Unfortunately... it was really cold the night before, and the ground was still frozen in places - the warm temps weren't there long enough to melt everything. I didn't feel easy about the road, so I was well below the speed limit - but not low enough.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:16 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Rich I just saw this now, I'm sorry about your loss, I know how much time and work you had in to it. At least the 2 of you are alright.

Thank God for trucks!

New years eve we were going out and they were calling for a chance of freezing rain so I thought I'd better take the truck, just in case. My reasoning was, I'd rather be in an accident driving it than in our car....

Old 01-02-2019, 12:57 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
I may be screwed on the insurance money thing. My wife and I were going to put a rider on the truck insurance because of all the upgrades, and it was on the to-list... but I procrastinated. Without that rider, it's an 18-year-old truck with 365,000 miles - for which I paid $10,000 8 years ago. I'm monumentally screwed there. By buying back the "worthless" truck for total-out price, I expect to recoup a lot of money. I would then have three 7.3L blocks and a lot of 7.3L support supplies, parts, and tools - and a new-found location near an interstate to sort it all out.

That HD4R100 is going in the next vehicle, and I'm looking very hard at HD Rider's truck - so all the other mods I would need are already in there. I think I see Warn hubs on his rig, so I have to find out if the ESOF hardware on my truck will still work on his. I'm keeping everything that Cody has touched, so the 1023 stuff is coming out. There are a gajillion details to parse out, but I suspect there will be many fine members gaining some performance parts on their rigs at a discount, plus all the impossible-to-find parts will pop up on the market like prairie dogs.

HD Rider has the vehicle we are looking for - CCLB 4X4, and it happens to be Oxford White (same as Stinky - good color for leaving in the hot sun while boating). On top of that, he's not far from Cody, so Cody and I can spend a little time going over everything before my drive home. Cody and his new-ish family stand to gain some added income soon.

Oh... and I'm keeping that freaking steering wheel.
Hmm you had some pretty nice sticks in that truck.......

Old 01-02-2019, 01:45 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,972 Likes on 1,107 Posts
Not relevant...

Old 01-02-2019, 01:48 PM
pwstroker69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow! Really sorry to be reading this Rich but very happy you both walked away with little to show in the way of injuries. Stinky can be rebuilt and will probably be new and improved yet again but you both are way more important. You have helped me a lot directly and indirectly over the years here so I wish you all the very best with the swap. I am just now putting my old but rebuilt motor back into Big Red and would happily donate anything I have spare but I am stuck on an island where shipping is expensive and tedious so unless it's something that weighs very little can offer little more than moral support from here. Still, let me know if you think of anything.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:25 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
Sorry to hear this Rich. Again the important thing is you are both okay. I've been in a wreck like this when I wasn't driving. No fun at all. God bless you both. On the insurance side, my neighbor had a wreck in his F350 and couldn't get the insurance to increase there pay out. But they did say he could take any thing he wanted off the truck. Now he brought the truck home, I'm not sure if your truck is at home or at a yard somewhere. But I am glad you got another one lined up. Good luck on your way forward. We all are glad you are safe. God bless,

Chet

Old 01-02-2019, 04:51 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang man, that video just goes to show how quickly things can go south and from looking at a video you can't judge anything. Those roads "looked" to be in decent shape, but obviously not the case.

Again, glad you and the Mrs. are ok.

Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM
Hootr
Tuned
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow Rich, That video sent chills. Thank God you guy's are alright. 1st thing I thought of when watching was how lucky you were a car wasn't coming from the other direction when it happened. God was watching over you.
I sure hope everything works out for you in the end. It's a PITA I know. Sorry for your loss of Stinky.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:37 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Rich I am so sorry to hear about this. We just got back from the winter wonderland ourselfs and saw a couple crashes right in front of our eyes. I am so glad to hear you and your wife are okay. I am sure besides being sore for a bit. Said day to see Stinky go that way but glad it did so protecting you and your wife. Please let me know if you need anything and I am sure many others have offered.

Old 01-02-2019, 11:13 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Exclamation

A word of warning from a former highway maintenance crew leader - more states and localities are using liquid deicers rather than salt sand mixtures (EPA mandated air quality issue). The effectiveness of these liquid deicers is diminished by dilution from the very ice and snow they melt. Then the surface can "flash freeze" in minutes.Visual indications are the change from the glossy shine of wet road to a dull hazy surface, or the lack of "splash back" from the vehicles ahead.
Salt sand mixtures melt ice and snow while at the same time provide traction even if temperature changes cause refreeze!
Please note the "rumble strips" both on the inner and outer sides of the lane in Tugly's video - these actually increase the retention and bleeding of moisture into the travel lane.Refreeze = "Black Ice".
I believe these are contributing factors in Tugly's incident - and many others that have resulted in much worse outcomes!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:46 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
Oh man, I just found this. Glad you and wife are ok Rich. Looks like Stinky took one for the team. Wishing you good luck with the ins. end, I am calling mine today.

Old 01-03-2019, 08:02 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman
A word of warning from a former highway maintenance crew leader - more states and localities are using liquid deicers rather than salt sand mixtures (EPA mandated air quality issue). The effectiveness of these liquid deicers is diminished by dilution from the very ice and snow they melt. Then the surface can "flash freeze" in minutes.Visual indications are the change from the glossy shine of wet road to a dull hazy surface, or the lack of "splash back" from the vehicles ahead.
Salt sand mixtures melt ice and snow while at the same time provide traction even if temperature changes cause refreeze!
Please note the "rumble strips" both on the inner and outer sides of the lane in Tugly's video - these actually increase the retention and bleeding of moisture into the travel lane.Refreeze = "Black Ice".
I believe these are contributing factors in Tugly's incident - and many others that have resulted in much worse outcomes!
As someone who makes a living on the road, ivI' made a few observations.
Road crews often apply deicers before an incoming storm. If the road surface is already cold, it causes more ice than it prevents. When snow hits a cold road, it will blow off. When it hits deicers, it melts until the deicer becomes too diluted and then freezes.

Quick Reply: Stinky issues. Anybody got a 7.3 SD for sale?