Oil & Lubrication  

Question about oil cooler line

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:58 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about oil cooler line

Hi ~ I have a 2001 Ford Lariat ~ I would like to put a Tee in the line going to the small oil cooler radiator ``` Is there enough pressure in that line ~ to tap off a small amount ~ for an Byoass Oil Filter ~ what do you think ?????

Thanks

Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Is this additional filtering for an auto-tranny, power steering system, or engine?

If its for a auto tranny, or hydraulic power steering system, maybe consider an inline filter with built in bypass valve, in a easy to get at replacement location of your choice, with something like the new updated metal case Magnefine, or a like design, as it goes inline, fits in restricted spaces, filters to a small particle size with a magnet for ferrous debris & a folded filter media for non metallic, or non magnetic particles & has a built-in bypass valve, in case of restricted flow & a rise in back pressure from clogging of the filter media if something bad happens, or the system is internally dirty & your tying to clean it up, or you forget & run it too long. https://magnefinefilters.com/

I'm running the old black ribbed plastic case design Magnefine on both my Ranger & Taurus power steering return line / After the cooler's, for almost 10 years now & it's stopped the recurring / intermittent off center shudder, & boost drop out problems both power steering systems had developed, even though they had received full fluid flushes at 30K intervals, with the specified fluid, when the tranny's got their filter changed & full fluid pump-outs.

If you opt for a engine oil filter sized filter & adapter, make sure the filter has a built in internal bypass valve & plumb it in the return line After the radiator, or external oil cooler if your system has one, as they'll remove excess heat before the add-on filter sees the fluid, which the filter & the connecting rubber hoses & gaskets would likely appreciate.

Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what your trying to do & how it goes.

Old 12-30-2018, 11:39 AM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Greetings Paw Paw ~ Re: the Engine Oil filter ( Frantz Filter ) it would not have a bypass valve ~ I would draw off a small amount of oil (pressure permitting) returning it to the engine ```

The last two I installed use sandwich adapters placed behind the OEM filter ~ leaving the OEM in place ```
The OEM Spin On filter is in a tight spot on this truck ~ if I have to ~ I'll use that location ```
There may be little or no pressure in the Oil Cooler feed line ( I don't know ) that's what I was asking about ```

Richard

Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM
pawpaw
Ok so the additional filtering is for the vehicles engine. SO, might be helpful to know which engine you have & is the engine oil cooler on there now a Factory/OEM installation, or a aftermarket add on?

Old 12-31-2018, 07:58 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Quote pawpaw:
Ok so the additional filtering is for the vehicles engine. SO, might be helpful to know which engine you have & is the engine oil cooler on there now a Factory/OEM installation, or a aftermarket add on?

Engine 5.4 ~ the filter is a Factory/OEM installation

Old 01-01-2019, 08:31 AM
pawpaw
Is the Engine Oil Cooler on there now OEM / Factory, or an After Market product ?

Old 01-01-2019, 07:20 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
The Oil Cooler is OEM

Old 01-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
I would think there is no pressure ~ because the return line just spills back into the engine ```

Old 01-16-2019, 06:59 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
Made room for the Frantz Oil Filter

Question: Re: there is an Oil Port on the front of the head on the passenger side of the engine ( I've read ) Will the bleed of 1/16" for the filter ~ will this starve the other side of the engine (the valve train) or is there a goodly amount of oil at that point ```

I'd rather tap off at some port than use a sandwich adapter behind the OEM filter ```

Thank you

Old 01-16-2019, 07:29 PM
pawpaw
I don't have the inside knowledge needed to make a recommendation where to tap in with the addon oil filter, maybe a engine builder reading this thread with a good working knowledge of the lubricating system on your engine will chime in.

Old 01-17-2019, 10:26 PM
Fifty150
Logistics Pro
Received 224 Likes on 200 Posts
Maybe I missed something. But why would you need a second engine oil filter? The oil filter on your engine isn't doing the job?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM
Richard S
Posting Guru
There is no " why is it needed ~ I'm not a missionary ~ I don't care if anyone uses a Bypass Filter ```

I have installed the Frantz Filter in the engine compartment ~( I removed this filter from a Tractor ~ I no longer use) ~ I made room by moving a smaller washer tank to a remote location ~ I still have to run the oil line to the filter.

I will use ether a sandwich adapter or if I can find a fitting to tee off to National Pipe Thread at the oil pressure sender ```

It's tight in there the OEM spin on is right above the front differential ~ it would have been sweet if I could have come off the port on the passenger front side of the head ```

This is on5.4 in a 2001 150 Lariat ```

Old 01-24-2019, 01:25 PM
pawpaw
Where the oil returns is also important, as it shouldn't go where it'll puddle up & pick up extra heat, or have it get paddled & aerated by moving parts, or cause too much oil to be in an area not designed to handle it & have those sorts of things happen to it.