Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment issue.. '95, 4wd, Ext. Cab, 302, Eddie Bauer

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:52 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
I forgot to mention the radius are bushings are ok. I checked those when I installed the Moog 824 or 844 coil springs.

Going back, before only 4 months ago, the caster and camber was fine. It's only had another 500 miles driven since the alignment in July. That tells me they just didn't want to go in depth with the alignment , shut me up, and send me on my way.

I forgot to mention that when they aligned my white truck, the didn't even notice the driver side radius arm bushing destroyed and wallored out...
I still wonder how that got aligned and I was able to hear it clunking when braking or the fact I could grab it with my arm and lift it up and down.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:05 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wht happened in those last 500 miles to cause the caster to change so much? It doesnt just change on its own.

Old 12-31-2018, 04:29 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
The entire alignment was redone after repairing the crack I mentioned in the 1st post.

After the crack was repaired, I informed them that it needs an alignment. They never found the crack for the last 4 or 5 alignments. The shop before them, They did 3 alignments, never found the crack.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:36 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts
You are blaming them for not finding a hairline crack in the cross member under the engine. As a former line tech, when a vehicle comes in for a alignment, you check for worn steering parts, tire pressure and loose wheel bearings. Check and set to specs and do a post alignment test drive. Checking the frame for cracks would not be on the list of things to look for.

Old 12-31-2018, 07:47 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Yes, I'm blaming them. Heck, how do they set an alignment when the driver side radius arm bushing is deformed, can hear the radius arm clunking when step on the brake, and physically grab it and shake it up and down?

Another friend of mine had a '95, 4wd, 351, Ext cab that needed an alignment . We did upper amd lower balljoints because they were bad and wouldn't pass inspection. Got that done and told him that he needed to have it aligned before he started daily driving. He said that even after upper and lower balljoints it was still popping.

Couple of days later he dropped by and said they called him because he had a crack in the same exact spot I had mine. They said it couldn't be aligned, because of the crack, it would change the geometry each time they would set it....

Old 12-31-2018, 07:57 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,348 Likes on 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by timbersteel
Couple of days later he dropped by and said they called him because he had a crack in the same exact spot I had mine. They said it couldn't be aligned, because of the crack, it would change the geometry each time they would set it....
Surprised you didn’t notice the crack in the frame since you just repaired yours and you were right there working on ball joints. Can’t believe you took it to get aligned with a cracked cross member.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:08 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
I dont see how repairing a crack in the crossmember changes the caster.is this the timeline?

multiple alignments perfomed, caster was good.

you find and repair crack in crossmember.

you had it aligned again and somehow the caster got messed up.

When I did an alignment, I would print out a before and after. Do you have that info?

are you 100% sure the pass side radius arm bushing is not bad?

Old 12-31-2018, 08:08 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks

Surprised you didn’t notice the crack in the frame since you just repaired yours and you were right there working on ball joints. Can’t believe you took it to get aligned with a cracked cross member.
I sure didn't since his truck was aligned over year earlier than mine. It never even dawned on me until I found my crack that it was common. Luckily with the help of members that posted pics of their cracked engine cradle, I was able to pinpoint the problem.

I own 4 OBS trucks. All 4wd, all ext cabs. 2 '92's and 2 '95's. The '95 Eddie has been the 1st I've owned that has it. After finding the crack, I checked the other 3, and none have it. My buddies truck did. I never saw the crack before or after he had it welded. So I'm assuming, it's in the same spot.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:13 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bashby
I dont see how repairing a crack in the crossmember changes the caster.is this the timeline? Yes

multiple alignments perfomed, caster was good. Yes

you find and repair crack in crossmember. Yes

you had it aligned again and somehow the caster got messed up. Yes

When I did an alignment, I would print out a before and after. Do you have that info? The printout in my 1st post shows the "After" they finished the alignment.

are you 100% sure the pass side radius arm bushing is not bad? Yes. I would even go check now, but it's pouring in Mid-missouri right now.
The photo in the 1st post is the last current "good?" Alignment.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:07 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Is it pulling really bad? Does it pull the same at low speed as high or does it get worse/ become noticeable at higher speeds?

Old 12-31-2018, 09:28 PM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
It pulls slowly to the right, whether from a few miles an hour, to 75 mph. It's noticeable enough that I have to keep my left arm slightly pulling the wheel. If I let go of the wheel, it's drifting into the shoulder in under 100 feet.

Road crown doesn't make much of a difference, if any.

Going straight, the steering wheel is off, sitting at about 5-8°, 10 o'clock to 4 o'clock.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:22 AM
nova801428
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Have you tried rotating tires? Also have you checked the rear brakes to make sure they are not dragging making it pull?

My '94 Bronco pulled pretty bad to the right also. Alignment was perfect and was frustrating as hell. I rotated tires and that fixed my issue. I had a newer tire/different brand but same size mounted on the back and that caused my pulling.

Just throwing ideas out there.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:44 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Try crossing the front tires. IME caster pulls dont show up at low speeds.

Old 01-01-2019, 06:47 AM
timbersteel
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bashby
Try crossing the front tires. IME caster pulls dont show up at low speeds.
That's my next trick. Rain stopped. I will try this week and report back.

To Nova; I have been through the rear drums and all seem fine. I am gonna check the passenger front caliper as well.

Old 01-01-2019, 07:04 AM
bashby
Post Fiend
Rain stopped here too but its windy as crap now. Gonna try and get my new project e350 psd running today.

double check that radius arm bushing while you're at it!

​​​​​​​You can fudge your air pressure a little bit if the pull bothers you, run the rf 3-4 psi higher than the left.

Quick Reply: Alignment issue.. '95, 4wd, Ext. Cab, 302, Eddie Bauer