2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Anyone else have problems with motorcraft filters?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 09:14 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by idrive
We'll just agree to disagree and I'll keep using my Motorcraft filter.

I'll also add there isn't a product that's man made that doesn't fail or have a defect at some point. Nothing. Even your precious fram.
X2
I was a bit ticked when I spent $14.99 on that Mobil1 filter and it turned out to be a dud.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:57 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
I've been using the FL-820 on my 2004 expy since new. I now have 125K on the clock and no known issues. If there were to be an engine issue as a result of an oil filter, how would it present itself? Ticking, knocking, engine seizure?

I've done every oil change on the truck in 5000 mile intervals religiously except for the first 30000 miles when I was running full syn oil and extending the dump cycles to 10,000 miles.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:37 AM
cbradford
Fleet Owner

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Newer had a problem with a Motorcraft oil filter but have had an issue with a Fram air filter on 2001 5.4, went to check and found cone came unglued sucking unfiltered air for how long I don’t know!

Old 01-06-2019, 12:42 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
This thread prompted me to go looking around a bit. After what I've seen, I would suggest that "standard" versions of most filters are more alike than different. The one filter that appears to be a cut above the rest is the Mobile 1 filter. Just from a materials standpoint, it weighs almost twice what other filters weigh.

Old 01-06-2019, 02:01 PM
advocate
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my opinion the top 4 filters right now that fit our trucks are the:

Fram Ultra 99% at 20 microns
Amsoil Ea 98.7% at 20 microns
Royal Purple 98.7% at 20 microns
Mobil 1 99% at 30 microns

In terms of construction and efficiency ratings this is how they rate. The Amsoil and Royal purple are the same filter actually. The mobil rated at a high percentage but at a bigger particle size... so it’s deceiving. But it’s a good filter. Fram Ultra has the highest rating available and high flow rated to match it, solid construction. And a mesh behind the two layers of filter media so if there ever was a failure it will not cause an issue (it’s very rare to see a failure from an ultra though).

Old 01-11-2019, 05:23 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by advocate

the orange cans now have a silicone anti drain back valve. Things change, they have evolved. Sadly the motorcraft changed too. But not for the better.
The orange Frams are still horrible.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:14 PM
advocate
Senior User
Originally Posted by NASSTY
The orange Frams are still horrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=iTNJLEV8CG8
They aren’t as bad as people make them out to be. They are better then the motorcrafts for sure. And cost less. Here is a good read on the response to this video.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...eo#Post4967419

Old 01-12-2019, 10:08 AM
idrive
Junior User
This thread needs to die.

When an advocate steps in to virtually any situation you have nothing but bias and the "I know more than you do and you should always do what I say" mentality.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM
advocate
Senior User
Originally Posted by idrive
This thread needs to die.

When an advocate steps in to virtually any situation you have nothing but bias and the "I know more than you do and you should always do what I say" mentality.

Unfortunately that's what happens when a guy who doesn't know much at all about oil filters makes a video and posts it to youtube. There was a good chunk of inaccurate information in that video. Also the filter that he used is not a current model of that filter. The newer versions of that filter have been improved. They now feature more pleats, a silicone anti drain back valve and are rated to be used for whatever the factory interval is for your vehicle. Before they were only rated for 3000 or 5000 miles. A better solution then watching one persons perspective on a subject is to do your own research. I have posted several links on this thread to show what I am talking about. Also if you were to go through that website you will find some unbiased opinions on these filters. You can see them cut open when new and used to see what issues they may have.

In this case these cheap orange cans aren't the best but they are acceptable. They filter better then the motorcraft and they can hold up for a full interva which can not be said for the current motorcraft. I personally don't recommend them because for a few bucks more you can get their next tier of filters which are much better. And who doesn't want the best for their truck?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:07 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Every brand of filter will now and then have a few failures in the bunch so stop stressing over it.

There’s nothing wrong with Motorcraft filters.......period.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:30 PM
advocate
Senior User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Every brand of filter will now and then have a few failures in the bunch so stop stressing over it.

seriously did you not even look at anything I posted? They are failing at a higher rate then any other filter. There is not much right about a motorcraft filter at this point. Period.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:42 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Unfortunately that's what happens when a guy who doesn't know much at all about oil filters makes a video and posts it to youtube. There was a good chunk of inaccurate information in that video. Also the filter that he used is not a current model of that filter. The newer versions of that filter have been improved. They now feature more pleats, a silicone anti drain back valve and are rated to be used for whatever the factory interval is for your vehicle. Before they were only rated for 3000 or 5000 miles. A better solution then watching one persons perspective on a subject is to do your own research. I have posted several links on this thread to show what I am talking about. Also if you were to go through that website you will find some unbiased opinions on these filters. You can see them cut open when new and used to see what issues they may have.

In this case these cheap orange cans aren't the best but they are acceptable. They filter better then the motorcraft and they can hold up for a full interva which can not be said for the current motorcraft. I personally don't recommend them because for a few bucks more you can get their next tier of filters which are much better. And who doesn't want the best for their truck?
So are you advocating Fram above all else or anything but MC / Purolator?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:01 PM
advocate
Senior User
I prefer Fram because of their quality and how they stand behind their product. But there are other good products out there too. Amsoil and Royal Purple would be my next picks. But they are more money then the Fram Ultra and aren’t rated as high for filtration. Mobil makes good filters as well.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:19 PM
idrive
Junior User
Originally Posted by GABAR

^^^ This ^^^

seriously did you not even look at anything I posted? They are failing at a higher rate then any other filter. There is not much right about a motorcraft filter at this point. Period.
Seriously, you nor anyone else have data that proves this. You are simply biased toward anything Motorcraft. Why you're on some kind of mission tying to dismiss Motorcraft filters has become (almost) humorous. There are engines turning 300K miles everyday that have run nothing but MC filters. The issues you want to conjure up just don't exist. Posting links from other forums - threads that have zero statistical proof is meaningless. Glad it makes you feel better though.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:53 PM
advocate
Senior User
You’re entitled to your opinion. I’ve given mine with my reasons and evidence to back it up. You do you bud.

Quick Reply: Anyone else have problems with motorcraft filters?