That's it --- no more Craftsman junk - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > General > Garage & Workshop
Reload this Page >

That's it --- no more Craftsman junk

Notices
Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

That's it --- no more Craftsman junk

Old 01-08-2019, 12:45 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
I think I am going to go out and look for my youth today maybe move dinner to 3pm instead of noon and hit the late shift of bingo. May even see if the shuttle bus will take me to Sears so I can do a deep search of my youth.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:50 PM
joey2fords
Posting Guru
joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.joey2fords is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
meanwhile, here in canada, lowes (and possibly another chain ?) are carrying craftsman. sears closed entirely a while back and i have a handful of tools to be replaced on warranty. finally went into the closest lowes to do the deed and was told that i had to go through craftsman. really ? you are doing a job, a tool breaks and we are supposed to play telephone, or email tag to get a replacement ?
any canadians having warranty problems ?

Old 01-09-2019, 06:09 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
I think I am going to go out and look for my youth today maybe move dinner to 3pm instead of noon and hit the late shift of bingo. May even see if the shuttle bus will take me to Sears so I can do a deep search of my youth.
You'll encounter far too many know-it-all Millenials and their "older" brethren so please do be careful--its possible their stupidity and ignorance is catchable?

In the past 20 years or so we've seen any well known well established brand name that's been sold and bought has almost always led to a huge decline in quality of that brand. It's a smart marketing ploy and meant only to make better margins due whatever positive name recognition the brand had before the acquisition. I knew immediately when Home Depot gained access to the brand quality would diminish and I'm sure that's correct.

Too bad for a once great brand name.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:34 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Chaosracing is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I used to be a die hard Craftsman guy. My dad mainly bought Craftsman. When I was a kid, he used to say that there are 3 things you can count on to last a very long time. John Deere, Ford and Craftsman. My family has been a Ford family since Ford was a company. My great grandfather used to farm with John Deere and my grandfather and dad used Craftsman tools(Grandfather was a mechanic, dad a hobbiest) Well Ford is still Ford for the most part, but sadly John Deere and Craftsman are not the same anymore. I know own a Kubota Compact Utility tractor. I have bought Craftsman tools for a very long time but wont anymore, at least until SB&D bring production back to the states and puts the quality back. The Chinese made junk Sears was selling is better than the crap Lowes is now selling. SB&D claim they will bring production back to the US, but I doubt that will happen. There has been mention in here about Harbor Freight. There stuff now is much better than it was and is much better than the new Craftsman junk. Why? Because its not made in China anymore, but rather Taiwan. Its also made much better and beefier. I had already bought some Kobalt stuff and Husky from Lowes and Home Depot. Not sure how much longer Kobalt will be at Lowes though, since everytime I go to one, they are pushing Kobalt out of the way and trying to sell the junk Craftsman stuff.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:11 AM
Fifty150
Senior User
Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Fifty150 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
While you're out there, keep your eyes open for my Members Only jacket. I think I left it behind with my moustache and sideburns.

I have no problem at all buying Craftsman. I will only buy what is sold with a lifetime warranty. No warranty, no sale. Stanley, Black & Decker, DeWalt, Craftsman. A very large company, who will honor the warranty. Only problem is how. Will their resellers like Home Depot & Lowes simply hand you a new tool?

We had a Great Neck ratchet handle that was in the shop. Nothing special. It worked. One day, someone did something that they weren't suppose to do. Without going into too many details, it broke. We had to send it back to Great Neck Saw. No problem. 12 weeks later, a new tool come in the mail. We paid for the shipping. The cost of shipping was enough to just buy a new ratchet handle from Craftsman, or maybe 4 from Harbor Freight. The cost of shipping was probably more than what we paid to buy the original ratchet handle.

The real value of the warranty is being able to obtain the exchange. With Mac, Matco, & Snap-On, the guy on the tool truck comes to you with the replacement.

I've never broken a Craftsman tool. But I did break a Harbor Freight socket. What do you expect when the entire set of sockets is sold for $5, or $4 with a coupon?

Snap On has a lower priced line sold as Blue Point. Pretty good for a driveway wrench. Maybe not what the pros want. But if you're only doing an oil change......

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.