1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket double din install

Old 12-26-2018, 09:22 AM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Aftermarket double din install

I got a double din touchscreen radio for Christmas I'm going to install in my truck (03 F250). I've done a lot of looking at installs of these radios and the Metra 95-5817 dash kit seems to be the one for it, but it looks like recesses the radio back in the hole more that it should.
For the ones that have done a double din install, what dash kit did you use?

Old 12-26-2018, 10:43 AM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That’s the kit I got for my 02. Same deal, double DIN Sony touchscreen.
To be honest, the kit sucks, but it’s usable. And you do want it to be recessed into the dash. If it’s too close to the surface, sun glare will impact the visibility of the screen. Some advice: use good permanent double sided tape rather than screws to hold the adapter plates to the sides. The plastic it’s made of is soft and ‘squishes’ under the screw heads. Also be really sure everything works BEFORE you lock it into the dash. It’s almost impossible to get back out.

Old 12-26-2018, 10:51 AM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
Thanks for the advice I didn't think about the recess being useful for screen glare.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:13 AM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
where did you put your GPS antenna?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:45 AM
FUN2DRV
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I installed a double DIN in my '99, I ordered it and the mounting kit from Crutchfield. I mounted my GPS antenna under the dash in the middle. I mounted the XM antenna on the driver's side under the plastic cowl, opposite the radio antenna. I have had no issues with the GPS or the XM reception.

Old 12-26-2018, 11:54 AM
kgburns
Senior User
If you need the instructions from Crutchfield, PM me with your email, step by step, no problems whatsoever on the install. I also used that same kit, but I superglued the wings to the fascia piece.

Old 12-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
I also used the Metra kit, it works & looks good when finished, but make sure that you leave the screws out that will otherwise leave you with a permanent installation!

Old 12-26-2018, 01:50 PM
idealtrucks
Laughing Gas
DId you use the tape instead of the screws that was mentioned before, or no tape or screws at all? What holds it in?

Old 12-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Shovelheadrob
Fleet Mechanic
Received 139 Likes on 79 Posts
I used the screws, I had the dash out a month or so back & the screws were all loose, I was changing the head unit & fitted the new one but was able to fit a few more screws, I hadn't considered double sided tape but if it comes out again it's something that I will do.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:51 PM
FUN2DRV
Freshman User
I used screws when I mounted the "kit" to my radio, the biggest pain was cutting the material from the dash for the unit to fit. Once the H/U is installed using the kit, you will have to remove the dash fascia to get the radio out if needed.

I would recommend that you remove the dash fascia and not try to cut/trim it in place, it will make a "big" mess.

Make sure that when you put the screws in that you do not use the forward-most holes, otherwise as Rob stated you will have a permanent installation. When I finished with my install I had issues with the airbag light, too much jostling of the passenger air bag lockout switch caused me to have to replace the switch unit.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:18 PM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by FUN2DRV
Once the H/U is installed using the kit, you will have to remove the dash fascia to get the radio out if needed.
I have the same kit. You can still remove the HU without pulling the fascia. Just slide a butter knife between the fascia and the mounting kit on each side and lever it out.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:04 AM
SoCalAngler
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I used the Metra kit that was provided by Crutchfield. Mine is a Kenwood touch. I used the screws, as I read, and as was mentioned by maticuno, that the head unit can still be removed using thin blades pushed into sides of head unit.
Cutting the dash was a messy job. As also mentioned, be sure to triple check all functions are in order BEFORE you slide head unit into dash.

My GPS antenna is mounted on center of dash just below windshield. No XM antenna was used. I did connect a back up camera (included in my radio purchased at the time) to the rear license plate frame. It works pretty good for wide rear view.....but not very good for hitch hook ups as camera is mounted too low....wish there was a way to put a camera in at tailgate handle (like newer trucks).

My head unit ended up about 1/2"-3/4" recessed. Not sure if being slightly recessed reduces glare....but there is glare even being recessed. Not sure how you can avoid glare with these larger screens.

NOTE: I recently added the Polk DB572 speakers (front and rear) and used the Stinger Roadkill rings on all 4 speakers. The rings dampen the sound. The results......GREAT sounding system....pure sounding system with crisp highs and solid bass. IMHO....The head unit can not be fully realized without new decent quality speakers. The Polks I used are not high end, but are of very good quality.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:35 AM
maticuno
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
wish there was a way to put a camera in at tailgate handle (like newer trucks).
While the fit leaves a little to be desired, finish and function are perfect. I can back right onto the ball every time.

Amazon - Ford Tailgate Camera Amazon - Ford Tailgate Camera

Old 12-29-2018, 12:41 PM
jh818
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I left mine not fully snapped back in, so it's not fully secured. I can pull it out if need be. I snapped it back all the way the first time and never did it again. There is enough friction to prevent it from fully come back out from a hard acceleration.

Old 12-29-2018, 01:56 PM
FractureCritical
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCalAngler
I used the Metra kit that was provided by Crutchfield. Mine is a Kenwood touch. I used the screws, as I read, and as was mentioned by maticuno, that the head unit can still be removed using thin blades pushed into sides of head unit.
Cutting the dash was a messy job. As also mentioned, be sure to triple check all functions are in order BEFORE you slide head unit into dash.

My GPS antenna is mounted on center of dash just below windshield. No XM antenna was used. I did connect a back up camera (included in my radio purchased at the time) to the rear license plate frame. It works pretty good for wide rear view.....but not very good for hitch hook ups as camera is mounted too low....wish there was a way to put a camera in at tailgate handle (like newer trucks).

My head unit ended up about 1/2"-3/4" recessed. Not sure if being slightly recessed reduces glare....but there is glare even being recessed. Not sure how you can avoid glare with these larger screens.

NOTE: I recently added the Polk DB572 speakers (front and rear) and used the Stinger Roadkill rings on all 4 speakers. The rings dampen the sound. The results......GREAT sounding system....pure sounding system with crisp highs and solid bass. IMHO....The head unit can not be fully realized without new decent quality speakers. The Polks I used are not high end, but are of very good quality.
l’ll +1 on this point. Good speakers make the system. The stock speakers in my 01 XL were ****acular paper abominations. A good pair of Rockford Fosgates in the doors made all the difference.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Aftermarket double din install