Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 F350 V10 Rebuild California

Old 12-23-2018, 03:03 PM
ReelCoy
New User
ReelCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 99 F350 V10 Rebuild California

I have all details of how / why I am where I am with needing to rebuild on the Super Duty forum.
From the posts I have read going with 99 non PI block /pistons with PI improved heads and matching intake manifold plus a special tune from 5 star, for the higher compression would be my best bang for buck repair upgrade. But I believe that was being offered as advice when just replacing heads.
I want to rebuild and get the best I can with what I have to work with. One of the things that I must plan for is the requirement to pass smog tests. I plan on keeping truck forever.
1) Can a special tune pass California Smog Test?
2) Can I run the factory tuning if I put PI Heads and Manifold and corresponding pistons.
3) If the answer to #1 and #2 is NO or maybe. Then is there any point in paying the additional for PI heads and Manifold.
Aprrox Cost
Ford 99 Reman $5000
Rebuild with PI Parts $5300

Old 12-23-2018, 03:31 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
1. Maybe
2. NO

I would not spend 5k on a Ford reman. I have been getting our fleet long blocks from AAA in Chatsworth CA. They do a price discount over the phone or tell me where you are located and maybe I can get you a discount but you would have to pick it up from my shop. They also sell on Ebay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-V10-6-...MAAOSwU9RajZyY

Old 12-24-2018, 07:25 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post

I would not spend 5k on a Ford reman. I have been getting our fleet long blocks from AAA in Chatsworth CA. They do a price discount over the phone or tell me where you are located and maybe I can get you a discount but you would have to pick it up from my shop. They also sell on Ebay.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-V10-6-...MAAOSwU9RajZyY
That's interesting---and one G-R-E-A-T price on a reman'd long block--WOW! I myself recently installed a Ford reman'd 5.4 to the tune of $3050 mostly because that's pretty much a nationwide warranty administered through Ford. I wonder if that outfit offers something similar or it would fall on the buyer to handle any warranty issues? Who would pay for R&I labor during any warranty period? Being a fleet operator you might have terrific insight into that. (FWIW I do receive a pro shop discount through my business

The Ford engine arrived full of oil, valve covers,water pump and harmonic balancer already installed. New oil filer rail and cooler, spark plugs, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and studs too. Another benefit Ford offers is a no break-in period required plus the 3 year 100K mile warranty.

I do notice there's the usual core charge that's subject to rejection or pro-rated depending on an inspection of the core---Ford's is a no-fault refund upon return of the core. Who pays for the core shipping back to the shop?

Mind you all my dealings were with a local Ford dealer so pick up and return weren't a problem.

Not bashing AAA Engines at all---just wondering how they compare over all.

Old 12-24-2018, 09:13 AM
ReelCoy
New User
ReelCoy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best Ca smog legal 99 V10 rebuild

Originally Posted by JWA View Post
That's interesting---and one G-R-E-A-T price on a reman'd long block--WOW! I myself recently installed a Ford reman'd 5.4 to the tune of $3050 mostly because that's pretty much a nationwide warranty administered through Ford. I wonder if that outfit offers something similar or it would fall on the buyer to handle any warranty issues? Who would pay for R&I labor during any warranty period? Being a fleet operator you might have terrific insight into that. (FWIW I do receive a pro shop discount through my business

The Ford engine arrived full of oil, valve covers,water pump and harmonic balancer already installed. New oil filer rail and cooler, spark plugs, intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and studs too. Another benefit Ford offers is a no break-in period required plus the 3 year 100K mile warranty.

I do notice there's the usual core charge that's subject to rejection or pro-rated depending on an inspection of the core---Ford's is a no-fault refund upon return of the core. Who pays for the core shipping back to the shop?
Mind you all my dealings were with a local Ford dealer so pick up and return weren't a problem.

Not bashing AAA Engines at all---just wondering how they compare over all.
Thank you for info reman info.
I definitely don't want to throw money away.
But since this investment is one chance to do it right for my long term keeper truck.
I don't want to go with a 99 reman that has 99 heads that don't have the spark plug thread issue solved.
So I am willing to spend more for the engine that will give best reliability and performance but will still pass smog test. That is why I was looking for a way to use the upgraded PI Heads.
Anybody?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.