Tow capacity and general information - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

Tow capacity and general information

Notices

Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 AM
Hesson81
Junior User
Hesson81 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Hello... very new to the f350 world. . Most towing experience I have is a boat.

kind of possibly looking to turn my truck into a side hustle , but I know it'll consist of a lot of homework.
I have a 2003 4x4 f350 7.3, it's not a dually.. all stock no tuner. Air bags. The tow caps vary widely, I thought I could find out by the sticker on the
door seal. But I don't see any numbers that make any sense. I'd assume anywhere from 12k-18k?? How can I find out?

is there a good book I can purchase that covers all the knowledge needed for towing? From your standard 2 inch ball hitch to goose neck towing? Right now I don't even know what questions to ask, so the Internet may not be a good source. I need a good book, and I just need to start on page 1.

thanks for any information. ..

Old 12-23-2018, 07:59 AM
Wesley Green
Elder User
Wesley Green has a very good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a very good reputation on FTE.Wesley Green has a very good reputation on FTE.
A SRW 7.3L will have big tow capacity swings based off which body style and trim package you have, you didn't list them all. Also depends on bumper pull, or 5th wheel/gooseneck.
Max bumper pull is 12.5k

If by side hustle you mean rv/trailer transport, don't bother. Most companies require your truck to be anywhere from 5yrs old or newer, some will accept down to 2005, but not many do. And once you figure in paying for your own fuel, and buying a DOT certified sleeper conversion, 500k bonded insurance, DOT inspecting and certifying your truck, you are out around 20k in all the required setup junk alone for less than you'd make working OT at your normal job.
If you mean local "I'm moving", tow my trailer, hay season, type craigsliat ads ok, it might pay your fuel and insurance for the month, but be prepared for shady characters (be armed in some form, a charged cell phone, dash cam)

This is for 99, my year, but gives you very close numbers for your 03 with all different options

Attached Images
Old 12-23-2018, 08:08 AM
SDcrewzer
Posting Guru
SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.SDcrewzer is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Lightbulb

I recommend starting with Ford’s 2003 RV and Trailer Towing Guide, available as a downloadable pdf:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...s/2003_All.pdf

Note that “Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight” specs are not absolute. They assume a lowest trim level, no unnecessary options, a skinny driver, no other cargo, no tools, no sandwiches, and other operational limitations. So, read all of the “ifs, ands, or buts”, notes, and other related discussions carefully.

Good for you for doing your research and asking questions before you tow!

Regards,
Jim / crewzer

Old 12-23-2018, 08:51 AM
Hesson81
Junior User
Hesson81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think I'll find another side hustle..I no way will compromise ability to take sandwiches...
ha.. Thanks for the info. Its a good start..

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.