2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Full Retrofit Headlights DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 10:58 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Received 385 Likes on 257 Posts
Full Retrofit Headlights DIY

No, i'm not asking how to replace your halogen bulb with a LED bulb.

Anybody on here retrofitting their housings? i just won a giveaway on theretrofitsource.com instagram. i'm planning on Gatling gun square shrouds, projectors, HID's, in the top section of the headlight, and then run a baja designs squadron in the lower section. Run the HID's as my low beams, the LED pod and the HID bi-xenon as my hi beam. Black out all the chrome, upgrade to a brighter amber turn signal/running light.

Who has cooked these lights open? oven? or heat gun? how sh1tty is the permaseal on these to work with? I cooked open my nissan titan headlights a few times via a heat gun and did a similar setup to what i'm referring to above (minus the LED switchback strip and maybe no Demon eyes. Extra wiring was just a pain and securing the switchback led strip sucked.

Any tips, comments, or general BS would be fantastic.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:15 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Sweet, congrats dude! I was just looking at some retrofits this week. They can really put out amazing light and cutoff patterns. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:04 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Tricon
Sweet, congrats dude! I was just looking at some retrofits this week. They can really put out amazing light and cutoff patterns. Cant wait to see what you come up with.
thanks dude. yea the projectors i used in my titan were unreal too.

i guess i'll start with a heat gun and go from there. oven is supposedly easier but i don't wanna melt the lens lol.

Old 12-22-2018, 12:37 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by honda250xtitan
thanks dude. yea the projectors i used in my titan were unreal too.

i guess i'll start with a heat gun and go from there. oven is supposedly easier but i don't wanna melt the lens lol.
235F for 10 mins won't melt plastic, then use your heat gun as needed. Just heat gun alone will suck, that'd take all day.

Old 12-22-2018, 03:18 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
235F for 10 mins won't melt plastic, then use your heat gun as needed. Just heat gun alone will suck, that'd take all day.
truuuu....snagged an OEM set off Offer-up for 160 today. threw those on my truck (they've got some scratches and whatnot on the lens) and got mine into the garage. Maybe tomorrow i'll start cooking them. Paint guy i use said he'd do all the chrome for me in Satin black for 60$.

Really the last thing i gotta figure out is which wire to plug into to make sure my Baja Design spots only come on with the high beams. Since the OEM halogens are both low and high, i figure theres gotta be three wires in the stock plugs right? low, high, ground? lol test light should make short work of that

Old 12-22-2018, 04:23 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Definitely take some pics and do a write up, I love not being there guinea pig for once

It should be a pretty simple affair, just aiming them can be a bitch.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:00 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Definitely take some pics and do a write up, I love not being there guinea pig for once

It should be a pretty simple affair, just aiming them can be a bitch.
i got lucky on my titan, i could twist the entire projector from the backside of the light without removing it from the truck. the idea is to aim them before putting the lens back on but we all know how thats gonna go "oh i'm so excited cause i'm basically done lets seal this b1tch up" lol

i'll try to do pics, half the time i forget, the other half the uploader doesn't upload. it took me 20 min to get those ones in the OP to post :shrug:

Old 12-22-2018, 10:40 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,675 Likes on 2,743 Posts
Looking forward to the mod. I was one of those guys that had paint matched Titan headlights. That was as far as I was willing to go. Yeah, I'm a chicken.

Old 12-23-2018, 07:38 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Currently: Searching for ways to pull the height adjustment ball joint out of the socket thats on the chrome reflectors. I managed to get the assembly to rotate and pull away from the back of the actual housing but its still attached inside the housing to the reflectors. basically just a big screw with a ball on the end of it that pops into a joint that pulls or pushes the headlights up or down. (the part visible from the top of the light is the white screw that has a gear that turns the big metal screw going into the headlight) i'd leave it on but it has a foam gasket which i'm thinking might melt lol.

Originally Posted by HRTKD
Looking forward to the mod. I was one of those guys that had paint matched Titan headlights. That was as far as I was willing to go. Yeah, I'm a chicken.
BHLM!! lol

lol but cracking them open was the worst part.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:15 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Well 20 min at 280 was the sweet spot for the permaseal. took me four tries starting at 250. i'll add some pics tomorrow when my phone is charged.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:45 AM
Kegme13
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I retrofitted my 7.3's headlights with mini H1s from TRS. Aiming them was the most stressful part. I used the JB weld steelstik to secure them and you basically have one shot at it lol. Also, oven cleaner will make a pretty quick job of removing all the chrome. Heres some pics of my retro, its been a fews years since I did it but if you have any questions let me know.

EDIT: One more thing....when you paint your housings, have them professionaly done. I was using color matched paint out of a rattle can and, as you can see in the pic, I could not get that can to stop spitting paint. I ended up sanding down the paint 2 or 3 times because I just wasnt happy with the way it was coming out. In the end I just rolled with it. No one could ever tell but I knew it was there.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:49 PM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Kegme13
I retrofitted my 7.3's headlights with mini H1s from TRS. Aiming them was the most stressful part. I used the JB weld steelstik to secure them and you basically have one shot at it lol. Also, oven cleaner will make a pretty quick job of removing all the chrome. Heres some pics of my retro, its been a fews years since I did it but if you have any questions let me know.

EDIT: One more thing....when you paint your housings, have them professionaly done. I was using color matched paint out of a rattle can and, as you can see in the pic, I could not get that can to stop spitting paint. I ended up sanding down the paint 2 or 3 times because I just wasnt happy with the way it was coming out. In the end I just rolled with it. No one could ever tell but I knew it was there.
Cool thanks man! Yea i'm using a professional paint shop. The projectors now come with threaded shafts. So you just throw them in the hole, tighten them down and boom done. (other then the aiming lol) I'm sure i'll still be trimming the shrouds but thats no big deal.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:33 AM
EWeezY
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In to see finished product!

Old 12-25-2018, 08:51 AM
honda250xtitan
Cargo Master
Lights cracked open, chrome removed via Torx screws, amber reflector removed via heat gun and removing the plastic behind that helps hold it in place. thinking i'll be needing hot glue gun to put that back on. Last pic is photoshop satin black and square Gatling gun shroud/projector. I'm thinking baja designs light will be bolted upside down to the flat spot on the reflector, good thing the lens/trim piece can be removed and swapped, otherwise the upside words would've been cause for my OCD to flare up....Oh also, to bypass the truck thinking there is a burned out bulb where the LED cube is i'm thinking just plug in the OEM bulb, let it dangle behind the light, tap only the high beam wire and tie that into the LED cube? If i just cut the OEM connector and only hook up the high beam wire i'm concerned the truck will think there's a bulb out, Hyper flash is the absolute worst thing ever. Open to suggestions. having a bulb dangling behind the housing is less then ideal lol.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
That's gonna come out awesome. For the pods, if you get hyper flash you can just add a resistor to the positive line and it'll look like a halogen bulb, they are cheap on Amazon. I used them on a couple of my KTMs when I switched over to LEDs.

Quick Reply: Full Retrofit Headlights DIY