Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Simplify a Motorcraft 2150

Old 01-03-2019, 08:54 AM
ZSK
Senior User
ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.
I must be a masochist..because I finished rebuilding the carb and installed it. Starts and idles smooth and it's very snappy from idle to 3000 rpm. It is much more responsive than the larger Edelbrock I had prior and much easier to rebuild. I need to check the plugs and may swap the main jets to a different size. The only bumps I encountered were very minor and remedied pretty easily. One air mixture screw was seized but came out with some diligence. The fuel needle seat didn't seal to carb body on the initial install, so I removed the seat and replaced the seal with the old one and all was well. I did have to shorten the throttle linkage to allow the proper range. I have an oil bath air cleaner that I'm switching over to a paper element that'll finish out this little project.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:02 AM
ZSK
Senior User
ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.ZSK has a very good reputation on FTE.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 AM
EffieTrucker
Kentucky Chapter Member
EffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant futureEffieTrucker has a brilliant future
Masochist? Or just diligent?

Good looking truck!

Old 01-03-2019, 09:53 AM
hooler1
Elder User
hooler1 has a good reputation on FTE.hooler1 has a good reputation on FTE.
That's great! I thought if you did run into issues it may be the booster clusters that came installed in the carburetor being completely wrong for the jettting and the engine. But its running good it's probably not an issue. The other challenge may be the setting of the float when the engine is warm. But if it starts good after a good heat soak it's also probably OK. Glad to hear it turned out well!

Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 AM
ZSK
Senior User
I think this will close out this thread for me. Other than minor tweaks I don't foresee anything ground breaking in simplifying a 2150. I installed a second return spring, a manual choke kit, and finished converting an oil bath air cleaner to paper element. It starts quick, idles nice, and runs well overall.

The fourth Saturday of every month there is a cruise in to Main Street in downtown Jacksonville, FL. A bunch of people bring out all kinds of rides and congregate on five or six blocks of the Springfield historic area of main street. Bagged frame dragging dually trucks, lifted 40"+ tire 4x4's, rat rods, vintage hot rods, modern muscle, mid 60's muscle, Model A's and T's, wide, wide variety of cool cars and trucks.

Only picture I took of the night, parked at Krystal with Kirby-Smith Middle School in the background. Happy to be getting out and enjoying the truck.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
I like the horn! That oughtta get those "texters" attention when they walk in the roadway.

How do the plugs look with that carb?

Old 01-28-2019, 10:56 AM
ZSK
Senior User
I haven't pulled them yet, but thanks for the reminder. I'll get out to the garage and take a look soon.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:39 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Tedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputationTedster9 has a superb reputation
Yes, post a pic if you would.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:21 PM
ZSK
Senior User
I have about 60 miles on these plugs. Just a hint of color that's hard to pick up in the photo. I think I'll add a some more fuel, maybe even try to borrow/barter a wideband O2 setup and really tune it in.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Technically the jetting looks a tad rich, if you can believe that. Idle time will definitely blacken the base ring though, and skew the indication. That may be the case here? That's why a throttle chop while on a highway run is recommended. Look way down in the plug, where it transitions to the shell, for the "fire ring". That's wide open throttle mixture indication. Maybe you know this already. Wideband O2 sensors are real interesting to work with. Ignition scopes too. And the good ole' vacuum gauge.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:11 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
That looks exceptionally lean to me. On the plus side, you must not be burning any oil! Reading plugs with modern fuels is pretty tough, on EFI engines fuggedaboutit.

Do you know if the engine has hardened valve seats? If it doesn't I'd rather be on the rich side, gas is cheaper than valves.

Old 01-28-2019, 09:47 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Right, it's modern fuel. Porcelain color (or lack of it) doesn't factor and can't be used. Lead is long gone. An O2 sensor would tell the tale.

The base ring and first thread shows jetting. The ground strap is heat range and/or ignition timing. The fire ring shows wide open throttle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.