How concerned do I need to be with 5" clearance? - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Fifth Wheel & Gooseneck RV Towing
Reload this Page >

How concerned do I need to be with 5" clearance?

Notices

How concerned do I need to be with 5" clearance?

Old 01-02-2019, 03:00 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
Same trailer and truck (basically) and same Rotoflex pinbox. During one particularly tight and a little off level turn I shaved about a 1/8 inch of plastic off the passenger inside edge of the bed rail with the very end "wing" of the pin box. Luckily no real damage and now that put my new BakFlip cover on you can't see it.
Anyway, I have a Anderson Ultimate hitch was able to reverse the pin adapter and draw the pin box several inches into the bed. Now during even tight turns I am good.
Looks like I have about the same clearance between the trailer and side rails as you and unless I take the camper off level roads I should be ok. Since '16 when I got the camper I have been to several not quite level camp sites and no issues.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM
BSHGTO
New User
BSHGTO is starting off with a positive reputation.
some times

when I worry about hitting the bed rails when pulling in a uneven driveway or camping spot I just jack the air up in the air ride pin box with the on-board compressor to gain a little more height then lower it back down when back on the road. works for me.

Old 01-14-2019, 08:02 PM
grantrekker
New User
grantrekker is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by 191124x7 View Post
So in my current configuration I'm completely level. Like perfectly level. The top of my front A/C is pretty darn close to 13'6".

I've got a hair under 6" of clearance on the sides... truck bed level, fiver level, parallel.

But if you look at that little flair at the back center of the tailgate... how it turns up just a little bit... at that point it's closer to 5".

1. I don't want to raise my Reese Elite 25k. it barely fits under the backflip as it is.

2. I don't see a way to adjust the pin box. Does anybody know if my pin box is adjustable?

3. I hate the sound of crunching fiberglass... I've already heard it once when I lowered a nosecap onto the bedrails of a previous truck -- don't want to hear it again.

What I've love to hear is that my configuration is fine. If not, that my pin box is adjustable and has room...and hopefully I won't end up taller than 13'6".

Any / all suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Well, it certainly does look like you are tight coupled. I can't tell from the pictures how tight the coupling is ( distance b/t truck and trailer). Another consideration to those that have already responded: is the kingpin in front of the rear axle? The closer the kingpin is set to the cab , the greater the risk of interference. The further to the rear that the kingpin is, the tolerance for excess angulation is greater. For example, If you move the kingpin further aft of the axle, rather than directly over or in front of the axle, you can encounter greater angle of difference between trailer and truck before there is interference (also called damage). Just looked to me like it was close coupled from the pictures, but maybe this is just picture optics. I have 6" clearance between my Arctic Fox and stock F450 and manage to worry from time to time when encountering rough terrain, but have been damage free so far. Best of luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.