Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Between Stinky's legs, there's a...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM
anotherfordguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sand blast the wheel and a few coats of good epoxy primer will work.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:32 PM
bigb56
Cargo Master

Received 219 Likes on 149 Posts
Is there a problem using a smaller spare for a short distance? I have the same tire/wheel size as you do but my spare is my OEM size 265/75/16 which is one inch smaller at 32". I didn't think it would hurt to run it in an emergency. Or are you just wanting to go bigger because it's time for a new spare anyways so might as well sort of thing?

I replaced my unused original spare two years ago after using it for about 100 miles. It ran fine although I kept my speed under 60. When I got home I decided I was pushing my luck at 14 years and replaced it.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:54 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Tugly
...spare tire that's old, crusty, and doesn't match the size of my new tires. Yeah... I have a spare tire and old crusty parts that are mismatched, but this isn't about me.

So... I need a rim and a 33" tire that will be a full-sized spare, but it's not going to be in the rotation. I currently have a steel rim, but the crap they put on the roads puts me in a position to drop it and maintain it if I go steel again. Do they make powder coat or galv rims like they do for trailers? Should I go aluminum? What do you guys in the salt belt do? Do you recommend an inexpensive 33" tire that's good enough to get me to the tire store or home while towing?
The thing about a spare is when you need it, you really need it. At that point you really don’t want to have regrets about the direction you went. Because of the crap they put on the roads it’s a good idea to drop it once a year anyway. It keeps the winch from freezing up, you can inspect the tire and clean up under there while the tires down to prevent rust on the truck and wheel.
If your winch has that stupid key in it, pull it out and carry a 24” 3/8 extension in your truck. I added a 1/2” to 3/8” adapter to the extension so I can use the 1/2” Dewalt impact I carry to drop the spare if necessary. I’d find a spare wheel off CL, clean it up, spray it with a clear coat, pony up for a Load E spare and feel confident your good in the event you need it. Any coating you put on the wheel will effect balancing it.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:42 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado350

The thing about a spare is when you need it, you really need it.
Truth. The only time I have ever popped a KO2 (all I run on every truck), I was elk hunting 20 miles back in the Flat Tops, just before the actual Wilderness on some sharp slag. I was damn glad I had a new, full-size spare in the exact same tire. I blew a 2" hole in the sidewall.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:46 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by beef ****
Truth. The only time I have ever popped a KO2 (all I run on every truck), I was elk hunting 20 miles back in the Flat Tops, just before the actual Wilderness on some sharp slag. I was damn glad I had a new, full-size spare in the exact same tire. I blew a 2" hole in the sidewall.
FS 600 perhaps? Past Triangle Mountain to Budge's on the South Fork White?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:58 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
I once ran a spare on the ds rear side. Complete mismatch to the otherside..got home(40 miles) and after i had the tire serviced and installed, the axle created a tick. I have to think, the gears played havoc on each other with 1 trying to turn faster than the other..coincidence, not sure but since, if i had/have a rear flat, 1 of the front tires is going on the rear and spare upfront..2wd trucks here

Old 12-19-2018, 11:35 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by timmyboy76
...mismatch to the otherside..
...1 of the front tires is going on the rear and spare upfront..2wd trucks here...
Smart, very smart.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
I was always taught to put the spare on a non-drive axle if possible.

In addition, I created a post a couple years ago about checking the spare because most people don't think about until they need it and it may not be serviceable at that point.

I purchased a load E rated tire as a spare which us not the same width, but is the same diameter as the 4 main tires. If I get a flat on the rear, I will take the time to mount the spare on the front, then move that wheel to the rear.

As for the rim condition, well I own a salt free truck that never sees snow. The rim was in great shape and still is tucked under the bed.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
I was always taught to put the spare on a non-drive axle if possible.

In addition, I created a post a couple years ago about checking the spare because most people don't think about until they need it and it may not be serviceable at that point.

I purchased a load E rated tire as a spare which us not the same width, but is the same diameter as the 4 main tires. If I get a flat on the rear, I will take the time to mount the spare on the front, then move that wheel to the rear.

As for the rim condition, well I own a salt free truck that never sees snow. The rim was in great shape and still is tucked under the bed.
Are you running load range D tires Sous?
If so thats no bueno when towing your 5th.

Old 12-20-2018, 08:59 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I have an ate up steel wheel. I take it down once and year and look it over. Check pressure before any camping trip. When I find a new steel wheel in good shape some day I will swap it out. Until then, it will be are up.

Old 12-20-2018, 10:09 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by bigb56
Is there a problem using a smaller spare for a short distance? I have the same tire/wheel size as you do but my spare is my OEM size 265/75/16 which is one inch smaller at 32". I didn't think it would hurt to run it in an emergency. Or are you just wanting to go bigger because it's time for a new spare anyways so might as well sort of thing?
I remember reading about a 5% difference being okay for differentials between the front and rear axles and think that would be okay between tires on each side.

I had a flat a few weeks ago on the rear. I grumbled a few obscenities (walked out of a meeting late and had to get on the road only to walk into the parking lot to see a completely flat tire), put the spare on and got the truck home. It's definitely a little larger (285/75-16 on 16x7 wheel with 100% tread) than what was on the ground (285/75-16 on 16x8 wheel with 20% tread) but it was only for 20 miles. If it had been much longer (or I plan to drive on it a few days) then I would have swapped it with a front tire so that the off-sized tire was free spinning (as Sous mentioned). If I had more time (I was on a deadline to be somewhere) I would have done the double swaparoo.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:52 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,460 Likes on 2,850 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Are you running load range D tires Sous?
If so thats no bueno when towing your 5th.
Absolutely not sir! Load E all the way around. Just wanted to be specific about the spare I purchased being a different size in width, but same rating.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:15 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,188 Likes on 816 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
Absolutely not sir! Load E all the way around. Just wanted to be specific about the spare I purchased being a different size in width, but same rating.
Good my man, bad omen with those D rated tires on a SRW.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:54 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Good my man, bad omen with those D rated tires on a SRW.
Ran D’s for three days pulling the trailer before they went back and E’s went on. Unstable is putting it lightly.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:54 PM
hydro man 17
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure if this has been specifically mentioned, but running miss matched tire diameters on a drive axle is asking for big trouble. At that point you are running on the spider gears in the differential. Not 100% on the ring and pinion gears. The spider gears are only meant to come into play while turning.

Quick Reply: Between Stinky's legs, there's a...