tuner input needed - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

tuner input needed

Old 12-18-2018, 10:25 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
tuner input needed

so I am looking for a tuner for my 6.4

criteria is

1) be able to back up my existing stock tune. this is different than being able to load a stock tune. I have a feeling the stock tunes in tuners are original 2008 tunes and there have been some firmware upgrades which exist in my 2010 tune. so I want to be able to back up my existing tune.

2.) be able to turn off all DPF functions. I go off roading thru the forest of NYC and do not want to cause a forest fire due to the truck going into regen while I am off roading....so I want to be able to turn it off as needed.

3) I dont want a tuner that if the planets and stars are not in the correct alignment...your engine gets bricked and you need dealer involvement to unbrick.

any input would be appreciated

thats it.

Old 12-19-2018, 05:37 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I have an original, H&S before they were raided by the feds tuner. If you want it will return the truck tune to stock, I take that as back to what was on the truck before you tuned it. This particular tuner can disable everything, only problem is I don't know if the modern tuner offered by like Rudys and the like places that install their own tune into the H&S tuner works the same way. I have had absolutely no issues for the last 6 or 7 years with it, I used to play around with tunes a fair amount but I haven't played with my tuner in years, have been running the 300 HP tune for ever, no need to worry about propagating a motor(59 years old) drive it like a truck, not a mustang, but boy if you get yourself in a situation and you need to use the right peddle heavy be careful cause it can explode with power.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:45 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the input

the “return to stock” is a primary concern. Not sure if that means a stock 2008 firmware, or if your truck has one of the layer firmwares, does it back up your existing firmware and restore it if you want.

the original 2008 firmware had a bunch of problems which were resolved in later versions of the firmware. One example....all most all melted piston stories not involving failed injectors were on 2008’s. The later firmware versions changed the temp sensing threasholds and will put your engine into limp mode earlier to prevent heat related engine damage.

So for me, since I have a 2010 with the latest firmware, return to stock can’t be return to 2008 firmware.

Old 12-21-2018, 06:50 AM
bubbasz1
Posting Guru
bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.bubbasz1 has a very good reputation on FTE.
I'm leaning on the return to stock being whatever firmware update your at, I tried researching it but time is short for the next couple of days, maybe after Christmas (if I can remember) I'll spook around some more.

Old 12-22-2018, 10:34 AM
sxrfun
Elder User
sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sxrfun is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have the H&S xrt pro tuner on a 2008.....If memory serves me right.....When I tuned my truck last....well years ago now actually....It does go through a screen that says backing up your existing firmware or something like that. Now whether that's just what it says it's doing or actually doing....I Couldn't tell you.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: