1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

I am the only one with problems with this site

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 09:33 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I am the only one with problems with this site

This site loads horribly on my computer. It takes literally five minutes to load any of the pages I click on. Once the page does finally decides to fully load I have trouble typing a message. I can hit the keys but it takes 10-15 seconds for the characters to show on the screen. I don't seem to have this problem with my phone or Ipad but on my computer it's horrible. I am using chrome as a browser and at the bottom left I see a constant changing of the message, "checking request" "resolving host" "waiting for www.XYZ.com". All kinds of crap loading while I'm waiting for the page to load. It could be something with my machine but I don't have this problem with any other website, they all load at a normal rate, which is within 10 seconds of clicking on a link. It's gotten so bad that I have cut back on coming to this site.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:03 PM
hulleywoodworking
Tuned
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
My iPad hates this site. I have no problem on my laptop and my phone, both running Chrome. But I have the same problems you do when I try to use the site on my iPad, on both Chrome and Safari.

Don't know why it doesn't work, so I just don't bother trying when I am on the iPad.

John

Old 12-17-2018, 10:06 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Install uBlock Plus, as an extension to your browser.

BTW, check to see if there is a Windows update that has been downloaded, but is waiting for a reboot to be installed.

Old 12-17-2018, 10:21 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Dang Ross!! That seems to work. Just loaded a dozen pages on this board and they all loaded within a few seconds. Problem seems to be solved. Thanks,

Old 12-17-2018, 10:32 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Install uBlock Plus, as an extension to your browser.

BTW, check to see if there is a Windows update that has been downloaded, but is waiting for a reboot to be installed.
Ross is the MAN! with Windows and Carburetors!

btw
I typically use firefox on the desktop and the really old laptop and it works fine.

Old 12-18-2018, 12:28 PM
1954wrecker
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don’t know if it’s the same issue or not but my IPad and IPhone redirects me to a spam site many times and only when I’m using this site. I thought it was a virus on my phone but from what I read it sounds improbable that a apple product would have a virus like that.

Chris

Old 12-18-2018, 03:35 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you're a member you don't get bombarded with ads after you login but before you login it's complete chaos.
I have a laptop in my garage and often i don't log into FTE but if go to the site it almost completely locks up.

I think i'll try the ad blocker and let me subscription expire if that will work

Old 12-18-2018, 04:51 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I've been on this site since it was a daily digest with one page. I had a paid subscription for a time but let it lapse. I guess I'm just a cheap SOB. When I had it I didn't notice too much difference but recently, maybe the last year this site really has gotten bogged down with ads. It's terrible. When I used Explorer I had the ad blocker set up but I couldn't find an ad blocker on Chrome. Now that Ross showed me the way the cite just seems to fly. No need for subscription for me, I can live with it as it is now.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
uBlock is showing that it is blocking 10 ads on this page, right now. They are typically not hosted by FTE, that's the reason for the slow load times without a blocker.

It used to show about the same number of ads blocked when I was paying.

Old 12-18-2018, 06:18 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,449 Likes on 1,396 Posts
I've been using adblock plus (the one with the stop sign icon) for years and I love it. I find this site is virtually impossible to visit without ad protection, and far worse than any other I go to.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I just did a test without logging in and WOW, it is bad. It almost makes my laptop lock freeze completely.
I'm going to install that blocker and see how that goes.

UPDATE. installed ublock and the page loaded instantly blocking 10 ads. I then logged into FTE and it's blocking 6 ads now which means that i pay all that money to reduce my ads from 10 to 6.
Thanks Ross for suggesting this

Old 12-18-2018, 09:26 PM
dennisb56
Laughing Gas
Received 48 Likes on 25 Posts
I use Windows7, Firefox and Adaware Ad Block and have no problems with this site.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:06 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
uBlock is showing that it is blocking 10 ads on this page, right now. They are typically not hosted by FTE, that's the reason for the slow load times without a blocker.

It used to show about the same number of ads blocked when I was paying.
Mine too, 10 ads are being blocked by uBlock. I also have Ghostery on my computer. I've had that for a few years while uBlock is new for me.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 12-19-2018, 03:26 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I've been on this site since it was a daily digest with one page. I had a paid subscription for a time but let it lapse. I guess I'm just a cheap SOB. When I had it I didn't notice too much difference but recently, maybe the last year this site really has gotten bogged down with ads. It's terrible. When I used Explorer I had the ad blocker set up but I couldn't find an ad blocker on Chrome. Now that Ross showed me the way the cite just seems to fly. No need for subscription for me, I can live with it as it is now.
Bob, I would have suggested dumping Chrome and switching to Firefox + Adblock Plus.

But if you're REALLY cheep (like me!! ) and for anyone else that is sick of Windows, you could fix it further by dumping WinBlows altogether!

Unless you leave your Winders computer on all the time ( & overnight) most of the updates and other file management stuff (windoes NTFS defrag, Norton, AVG, Defender virus updates etc.... ) doesn't happen until you turn it on.

It's particularly bad if you leave your windos box OFF for days at a time and it needs to do all those updates that sometimes seemingly completely takes over the internet connection and severely slows down the CPU and hard drive.!

Since I switched to Linux I have NONE of those "problems" and Linux is completely FREE to download, install and use, It doesn't try to sell you anything nor does it want any personal information. I switched in 1999 for normal "Home" computing.

I still have a laptop that runs Win10 for Turbotax, and a couple of other programs that are not even available for the MAC. Before I use it, I have to turn it on a couple of days prior, and allow it to do all the updates, reboots and downloads.....but it's completely useless until all the updates, download, defrags, and virus updates are finished.

I use OpenSUSE LEAP 15.0, + Firefox for literally all my day-to-day computing tasks. It just works. https://www.opensuse.org/

But any major Linux distribution is quite good (and still free....as in "FREE BEER")

to name a few:
https://www.ubuntu.com/
https://linuxmint.com/
https://getfedora.org/ Fedora is developed by the same team that develops Redhat (which was just bought by IBM)

All Linux distributions (with only a couple of exceptions) will run on all the current and legacy hardware (don't try it on any single-core processor computer though......just recycle it)

And for those that say they "tried it and it sucked", if you haven't tried it in the last couple of years, you might be surprised how far all the modern Linux distributions have come and how well they work now.

Anyway Bob, glad you got yours working again!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Rick