2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Death Wobble cause?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 08:52 AM
TXKR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Thanks Jim...

Caster is a 2 way street. Too much positive or negative caster can induce DW. Motorcycle builders deal with this in the builds. I had 32 degrees positive caster on my Harley and low air pressure in the front tire would bring on DW. You will see some bikes with steering stabilizers on the front forks. The reason why Ford is recommending that is because as you go back 0 degrees the wheel/tire begins to stabilize.
Right, which is why I am still confused why forum users here are saying that the solution is to increase positive caster (no such thing as negative caster on these trucks).

Jim

Old 12-19-2018, 09:57 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by TXKR
Right, which is why I am still confused why forum users here are saying that the solution is to increase positive caster (no such thing as negative caster on these trucks).

Jim
For sure, maybe this will help.

Negative castor is what you find on shopping carts at Walmart etc.

As you can see in the pic, caster either positive or negative to much all equals DW, even if everything else is right

I can solve DW and trust me it was a hard learning process. I got DW, so I stopped in a shop, they said do this, another one said do that, others said just adjust the caster and it went on and on. Sometimes the suggestion helped but mostly it go worse, so bad in fact I could not longer drive it, any speed over about 5 mph and DW just exploded.

So I crawled under my rig and I laid there looking at my suspension, not sure how many hours and how man sketches on paper I made, but my goal was not just to understand how my suspension worked, but how it interacted with each component. Then after a lot of experimentation I began to understand why and with that came how to fix.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:19 AM
Imadentguy
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As you can see in the pic, caster either positive or negative to much all equals DW, even if everything else is right

I can solve DW and trust me it was a hard learning process. I got DW, so I stopped in a shop, they said do this, another one said do that, others said just adjust the caster and it went on and on. Sometimes the suggestion helped but mostly it go worse, so bad in fact I could not longer drive it, any speed over about 5 mph and DW just exploded.

So I crawled under my rig and I laid there looking at my suspension, not sure how many hours and how man sketches on paper I made, but my goal was not just to understand how my suspension worked, but how it interacted with each component. Then after a lot of experimentation I began to understand why and with that came how to fix.
And you fixed your issue with......? Adjusment to the alignment?

Old 12-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Clubwagon
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clear this up. Shopping carts have zero caster but they have "trail". Trail is the distance between where the steering axis intersects the ground and the tire's contact patch. The shopping cart's steering axis (caster pivot) is vertical, but the axle is offset from the steering axis which puts the contact patch of the tire behind the pivot (steering axis).

It is the stabilizing force resulting from "trail" that counters the oscillation that is DW. DW occurs when the force of the oscillation becomes greater than the stabilizing force of "trail".

Ever see a shopping cart that has one front caster that wobbles crazily when you push the cart? That's the exact same thing as DW.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:57 AM
RVINGFT
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
This subject is very interesting. Now for another question, What is different about the F 450 other than the wider axle. Its not talked about in the TSB ?

Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RVINGFT
This subject is very interesting. Now for another question, What is different about the F 450 other than the wider axle. Its not talked about in the TSB ?
I do not know enough about the 450 to address as I have never owned one. I am sure theyu get DW just like any other vehicle can. You do not have to have a front driving axle to get DW, any car can can get it. The only times I have seen it on a passenger car it was due to worn bushings + low air in the tire(s). Worn bushing was in the lower A arm at the front and the tire was low on air.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:16 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Imadentguy

And you fixed your issue with......? Adjusment to the alignment?
Yes and no: IF you are OEM and DW occurs, my first advice is alignment and tire rotate, balance and door jam air pressure, if that does not cure it then it's something else besides caster, wheels/tires etc.

In my previous post it was caster that caused DW and in this case it was too much.

That said any component can play a part DW but some are more active than others such as the Track bar, Steering stabilizer and alignment/tires/wheels.

Old 12-21-2018, 09:26 AM
rockhounds4x4
Senior User
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I have cured death wobble on many a vehicle especially jeeps. Used to build custom suspensions, not bolt on... from scratch builds

worn track bar, worn tie rods, having the vehicle (toe in) too high, too little caster can all cause death wobble. the system must work in harmony

death wobble on a brand new truck would be odd but it is possible
on a brand new truck i would look at toe and caster first.

to answer a previous question, the OEM sets the caster at the ragged edge of just enough because it makes the vehicle turn easier, more caster will make a heavier steering feel , the return to center will be a bit lazier and it will increase the turning radius of the vehicle. we used to build massive jeeps with 7 degrees of caster, they did not have the turning radius of a stock caster jeep, but you could take you hand off the wheel at any speed without fear of any movement.

my 2000 f250 7.3 and my 2005 excursion v10 were both set at 5 degrees of caster, guaranteed they took the road straighter than most other fords, I have not had my 2010 f350 for more than a couple months but i can feel a few things up front that i do not like. Ill go through it this next month or so.