Tonneau Cover Opinions - Roll-Up or Tri-Fold - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > 2017+ Super Duty
Reload this Page >

Tonneau Cover Opinions - Roll-Up or Tri-Fold

Notices
2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Old 12-15-2018, 09:05 AM
h20camper
Posting Guru
h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.h20camper is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.

Which one do you prefer and why?

Thanks

Old 12-15-2018, 09:16 AM
ShotgunZ71
Senior User
ShotgunZ71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You'll get a variety of answer in favor of each, but here's mine. I've had Fold A Cover G4 Elite for several years and enjoyed it. Now I have a BakFlip F1 and enjoy that one as well. Both are good products that work well.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:22 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
I have a toolbox/aux tank in the bed, so anything blocking the front 2 feet won't work. some of the folding covers allow fold back to get there, but I think it too much of a pain when the 5th wheel is attached.
so I have used a roll up cover.. has worked for me.. Extang Tough Tonno

my son had a truck (66 chevy) with a solid cover, and man what a pain.. had to go home to take the cover off to go back to carry anything that was big..
I have steered away from solid types (even foldable) since then

Old 12-15-2018, 09:25 AM
cficare
Posting Guru
cficare has a good reputation on FTE.cficare has a good reputation on FTE.
Went with a hard roll-up because the fold-up would not work with the TracRac ladder rack system. I like the TracRac because I can easily remove the uprights & crossbars without tools.
Here's a link to what I purchased ... https://www.tonneaufactoryoutlet.com...-bed-rack.html

Old 12-15-2018, 10:22 AM
191124x7
Elder User
191124x7 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have a backflip, and overall I'm well pleased with it.

Pros:
  • Looks good
  • Works well
  • Easy to fold / unfold after I learned how. (There is a cable that hangs down on both sides of each section and you have to pull it to unlatch each section. I started climbing in the bed to pull both at once, but learned that you can just walk along the bed pulling once side and flipping it up. If you're tall enough and in shape enough it makes opening it super easy.)
  • Mostly waterproof
  • Ability to flip it up against the back window giving you full access to your bed.
  • Mode to flip all all but last section and then strap down giving almost full access and visibility out the back.
  • Fairly tough. Having thrown all kinds of stuff on top of it, it has no holes/tears/punctures
  • Holds up when two 70# kids are jumping on it in the middle
  • Very easy to install / uninstall / reinstall without any damage to your truck
  • I bought the optional bakbox and, while it's not an awesome toolbox like a standard one that goes to the bed floor... It does leave the floor open for 8' sheets of plywood/sheetrock... and it is a nice little box. It installs easy enough (and uninstalls / reinstalls even easier). I'm thinking about buying a 2nd one and can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Cons:
  • NOT completely waterproof out of the box. It's good enough that I'll put stuff like suitcases that I don't care if they get wet... but if you have important business papers you'd better not put them back there because there's a good chance they will get wet.
  • The finish is wearing. Some of the black is wearing off (after about 18 months). I noticed it when I moved the cover from me F250 to my F350 so maybe when I was carrying it back and forth to/from my garage I did it... but at an rate it doesn't look perfect any more.
  • It's fairly heavy. And I'm in shape. So while I make a one man job out of installing/uninstalling it would be easier with two.
  • On the not-waterproof front... I have modified their design so maybe it's a bit my fault. They ship with drains that they say you should cut holes in the rubber plugs at the front of your bed... not my style. So I saw on this forum how to get copper elbows and flexible pipe and drain through the existing holes at the top of the bed. Maybe that doesn't work well... or maybe I did it wrong...or maybe the bed just isn't 100% waterproof...
  • I had hoped that I could drive with any number of sections open... but that doesn't work. The wind catches the open sections and whips/slams them shut. So don't do that. The only way to do that is to open all but one and use the included straps.
Gripes:
  • For something that costs slightly north of $1,000 you'd think they would have their act together. But when I was shipped the original cover... they didn't include the clamps that fasten the cover rails to the bed rails. Trying to communicate that with them was a nightmare. Their phone people were terrible, couldn't understand even when given part numbers... shipped me some wrong parts... it ended up taking a week or two if I remember correctly... for them to get it right.
  • I will say that when they did finally understand they overnighted the entire bag of parts... which I kept as extras... and that made my reinstall on the F350 easier... so all's well that ends well.

I didn't really research any others, so I'm not objective... but if I needed another cover, I'd re-purchase the bakflip without hesitation.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:06 AM
Hackenbush
Elder User
Hackenbush has a good reputation on FTE.Hackenbush has a good reputation on FTE.
I had the BakFlip MX4 and sold it.Leaked down the sides right at the Wheel wheels still after two replacements. If you use your bed alot everyday it becomes a pain in the AXX lifting and folding especially on the eight foot bed.
Went with the Ford Ver of the RevolverX2 and love it, So much easier to access the bed and My dealer gave me a excellent price.The Ford LOGO is kinda cool also. I also like the smooth solid look without the 3 hinges. You can also see out the back window when rolled all the way up.
The Revolver X2 has been water proof much better than the MX4 except right at the tailgate edge, But I just need to move it back some. My wife could not fold the MX4 past the first fold without getting in the bed.She one hands her X2.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:40 AM
jbrnigan
Senior User
jbrnigan is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Depends on how you plan to use your truck bed - as cited in earlier, and likely to follow posts. On my Tacoma I have a Lund soft tri fold and it works fine - very easy to remove for full bed access, fairly inexpensive and keeps my stuff dry (not water proof) and out of sight. On my Super Duty I have an Undercover Flex, tri fold hard cover. Because I use my Ford primarily for towing a trailer, I wanted a cover that could unlatched and folded with a cable latching system. That way I could open the cover from either side of the bed (with dual latches, as on my soft cover, I needed to climb over the trailer tongue or walk around the truck to get to the opposite side latch). The Flex cover folds all the way forward allowing full bed access. It is more secure than a soft cover and water resistant (mine does not leak at all). Both covers serve me well for my usage.
Edit: FWIW - rear window visibility is often cited as an objection to folding covers that fold up against the cab. When towing an RV there is little to no rear window visibility, so not an issue with me. I can see just fine to rear using my side mirrors, either way.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:02 PM
VA13FX4
Senior User
VA13FX4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went with a Revolver. Donít like the idea of blocking the back window with the tri-fold when I need the full bed. Which is more often than I had considered. Hauling a bucket full of mulch or gravel, pallet of wood pellets, bikes when we camp. Whatever the case I donít want to be driving down the road with the rear window blocked. The Revolver does block it some, but I can still see whatís behind me and most of whatís in the bed out of my rear view mirror. I looked at the ones that roll down into a canister under the bed rails but I decided against them for two reasons. First, they are super expensive! Second, I had planned on putting a auxiliary diesel tank/tool box and I would need the space below the rails. I ended up with a larger main tank, but it was a consideration when I was shopping for a cover.

The Revolver keeps things in the bed secure, is easy to operate, wasnít too expensive, and is 95% waterproof from the factory. In heavy rains there will be a little dribble in the corners. Maybe an ounce of rain. A few dollars worth of weather stripping would fix it, but itís not bad enough for me to want to spen the time or effort. I am very satisfied with my decision.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:09 PM
ssunit1
Elder User
ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.ssunit1 has a good reputation on FTE.
I have had 2 Bakflips on my first P/U 2010 Nissan Titan with a G2 and on my '15 F250 I had the G4 (I think). My son has the Titan so I get to see the wear on it after almost 9 yrs. Its still holding up well as far as the water issues go and still folds and unfolds well. Overall very happy with it and am considering painting it to make it look better. I'm in S Fla and the sun can bake it pretty good so it has faded.
I was considering the Bakflip revolver but I am concerned how the vinyl will hold up after a few years of that same sun. I'm worried it may get brittle and have issues when the cover is rolled up and down.
I know the folding Balflip that fits my F350 will have to have 4 panels so I have the weight of the panels as they are put up and down to contend with. I may get the revolver a few years down the road after some real life testing to see how it holds up.
I like the hard roll-ups but not the co$t.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:04 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by VA13FX4 View Post
I went with a Revolver. Donít like the idea of blocking the back window with the tri-fold when I need the full bed. Which is more often than I had considered. Hauling a bucket full of mulch or gravel, pallet of wood pellets, bikes when we camp. Whatever the case I donít want to be driving down the road with the rear window blocked. The Revolver does block it some, but I can still see whatís behind me and most of whatís in the bed out of my rear view mirror. I looked at the ones that roll down into a canister under the bed rails but I decided against them for two reasons. First, they are super expensive! Second, I had planned on putting a auxiliary diesel tank/tool box and I would need the space below the rails. I ended up with a larger main tank, but it was a consideration when I was shopping for a cover.

The Revolver keeps things in the bed secure, is easy to operate, wasnít too expensive, and is 95% waterproof from the factory. In heavy rains there will be a little dribble in the corners. Maybe an ounce of rain. A few dollars worth of weather stripping would fix it, but itís not bad enough for me to want to spen the time or effort. I am very satisfied with my decision.

Hey Va- Are you able to stop the roll anywhere you want or does it have to roll all the way to the glass? Thanks.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:38 PM
dnewton3
Senior User
dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.dnewton3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
There is no perfect tonneau; they are all a compromise of some features to gain others.

Solid 1 Piece top:
Pros - no leaks, anywhere. Reasonably theft resistant. (both from the bed and trying to take it away)
Con's - heavy, and not easy to get something in under the top if it protrudes much above the rails (think of trying to get a lawn mower in there, etc )

Hard Roll up unit
Pro - easy to manipulate and typically solid; reasonably theft resistant
Cons - heavy, lots of moving parts; tracks get jammed with debris and make it hard to move until cleaned out (even snow)

Soft roll up unit
Pros - easy to use, easy to remove
Cons - not very theft resistant; vinyl can be difficult to deal with in winter, and the cold makes it "shrink"

Hard folding unit
Pros - easy to use, may go all the way up to the front in some brands, making most of the bed available
Cons - heavier, can leak at panels and joints; may have rails that make install more difficult; may not fold all the way forward based on brand

Soft folding unit
Pros - very light; quick to install most of the time
Cons - again, like the other soft tops, theft is a larger concern here. Vinyl a beeotch to deal with in winter.

I used to have the Undercover classic; a full size one-piece cover. I liked it; strong, solid and absolutely no leaks. But it was a full 8' long unit and too hard to take out by myself. And I had to plan when it was going to be on/off ahead of time; you can't just make a "spur of the moment" decision this type cover. If you're going to put something big/tall in the back, you have to plan on taking this offer well ahead of time.
I now have the Extang SF 2.0 unit. Again - it's not perfect; it's a compromise. I like that its VERY simple to install (no rails; just two forward clamps and two rear speed clamps) and it's light enough that I can do it by myself. Reasonably strong. It will not fold all the way forward, but it does come out super quick and I can actually take it off and lay it alongside most any tall load, and then reinstall later. Therefore I don't have to "plan" ahead for removal. I looked at the BakFlip units, but after seeing how easy they are to defeat the security (check out YT and see how you can take a simple coat-hanger and pull the cords even when the tailgate is locked ....). However, no tonneau is really theft proof; just theft resistant.
Actually, just having an 8' bed limited some of my options; these full beds are not as common as years gone by and some companies don't even offer their full product line for the larger beds.

What folks need to do is spend as much time as possible researching the features on the net, then watching YT vids. Just realize there is no perfect design; some features will always be a compromise against another choice.

The one thing I'm concerned about with my SF 2.0 unit is that it may develop leaks at the panel joints at some point. My "fix it" option might be to have the tops of the panels covered with Line-X; pricey, but sure would eliminate that concern, and have the added benefit of making an already strong unit even more stout.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:47 PM
NWnative
Senior User
NWnative is starting off with a positive reputation.
I went with the eXtang Solid Fold 2.0 - 99% water proof, easy to use, no rails / hardware to install, super easy to remove if needed.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:55 PM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the bakflip revolver x4 on my truck and love it. Had one Extang solid fold years ago that leaked like a screen door along the joints. Had the seals replaced at the manufacturer in Ann Arbor because I lived nearby at the time to no avail. Even they admitted most leaks along the hinges and there was nothing they could so if you got one that doesn't leak you got a unicorn.
Had a solid undercover for years and it was totally waterproof but super heavy and not very practical. Had an ARE Z series on my previous truck and loved it. Not being ready to go camper top on the new truck at this time so the bakflip was put on. It isn't water tight. I am getting some water off the tailgate into the bed on the right side about a foot from the edge of the tailgate. The edges are not painted on the rails and that complaint is widely heard. Outside of that I have no complaints. Its super easy to roll up for even my wife.
As stated above every cover has pros and cons. Have to find the one that offers the best mix for you. the solid folds were never an option for me and covering the back glass isn't either. Even if I'm towing a trailer I want to see as much as possible.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:58 PM
KCRebel
Senior User
KCRebel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa View Post
Hey Va- Are you able to stop the roll anywhere you want or does it have to roll all the way to the glass? Thanks.
I can answer this for you. It has no way to secure the cover anywhere but all the way forward. There are straps the front to keep it from unrolling. That said I don't see why you couldn't just roll up what you need exposed and let the cover rest against whatever is protruding from the top of the bed. I don't think it will continue to roll forward without some assistance as the tabs click down into the rail. I could be wrong haven't tried it. There are rubber bumpers you apply to the cover at the front so in the event your load shifts and presses the cover against the glass you have some cushion. Not sure it would do much good in that scenario but I guess every bit helps.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:09 PM
xxxsherpa
Posting Guru
xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.xxxsherpa is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Thanks for the answer KC.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.