2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Tonneau Cover Opinions - Roll-Up or Tri-Fold

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 08:19 PM
Nuckingfuts
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont have one yet but Im going with a roll style for several reasons,

1. Rear window visibility
2. My dog rides in the bed 90% of the time and I have her trolley set up close to the rear window so she can peek in and I can monitor her. Roll up style allows me to stay with her trolley close to the window.
3. Ive attached bike mounts (for my mountain bikes) to the boxlinks and a roll style will allow me to continue to utilize my system (and dog too) to load 4 bikes.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 PM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by xxxsherpa
Hey Va- Are you able to stop the roll anywhere you want or does it have to roll all the way to the glass? Thanks.
It has to roll all the way up. There are straps that go around it to hold it in the rolled position. My brother in law was the style that rolls into the box below the bed rails and it can be stopped and locked in any location. Definitely a cool feature, but I’m not sure it’s necessary. Definitely not sure it’s worth the $$$!

Old 12-15-2018, 09:02 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,176 Likes on 680 Posts
Pleased so far with my BakFlip MX4...bought it mostly to keep my 5th wheel hitch covered.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 PM
stormrider151
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a Leer cover on my F150 that I really liked and looked great. You just couldn't carry anything like a dishwasher in it. I got an MX4 for my F250 and it's just so so. Looks OK, leaks at the corners and I don't expect it to last as long as I own the truck. For over $1000 I would have expected better. It is what it is. Live and learn.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:01 PM
kongar
Freshman User
I went Bak Revolver X4 as well. I was THIS close to Peragon but I was worried about things sliding under it and obstructing it from opening. The x4 fits like a glove, doesn’t leak at all, looks fantastic, and is exactly what I needed functionality wise. I DID however need to call customer service for the recieot and form for the holiday rebate - and I was appalled at how bad their customer service was. I mean truly awfully abysmal customer service. Thank god the cover is 100% flawless or I’d be swearing. Great cover with the x4, just pray you don’t have to call for support.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 PM
Junk Tech
New User
It's hard to find stuff for a Mazda B Series. I figure I'll have to make my own tonneau. On such a small truck I think it'd be nice to have it just fold back in the middle.

I'm new here and I had reservations about supplying this site with so much info about me, but maybe it's okay. What's not okay is all the ads I see (like Bronco is coming), and pop ups. Do I join a forum to see that junk? Hell no.

I joined to get advice from Ford guys. Besides my Mazda, I have a shorty E150 Ford Van, 1982. I want to jerk the 300 six / automatic and sell it, and install a 302 with a manual 4 speed OD transmission that I have in stock. This is where my question comes in .... I'd like to make 300 hp on my 302 engine build. I'm thinking GT40P heads because the small chambers would give good cr with my stock 1981 flat tappet shortblock. But I keep reading that the plugs won't clear most headers. This is a real problem, because I will of course use some cheap headers from ebay - don't wanna pay high dollar. I gained needed clearance on a Chevy engine once by adding a quarter inch flange plate behind the header flange to space the header out. Does anybody know if doing this would give enough clearance to get the plugs out of the GT40P head?
Thanks,
JT

Old 12-15-2018, 11:50 PM
Davparks2
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the truck covers usa american roll cover. Nothing short of amazing except for the price. Its rock solid after heavy use over the last 2 years I open and close the cover at least 4 times a day. It has a few unique features.

1.) The pull strap is made of solid seat belt material and is 2 inches wide not crappy nylon that tears and breaks easily.

2.) Its the only cover I know of that has a release strap inside the bed under the cover. This allows you to simply drop the tailgate with button or fob then pull the quick release instead of going through the hassle of unlocking it with key. This is amesome feature if you have electronic tail gate.

3.) It has the smallest roll box in the industry only about 8 inches square. So doesnt intrude into bed much.

4.) It has 4 drains one at each corner to drain water faster.

5.) Its solid interlocking aluminum so its very theft resistant.

6.) The top of the roll box is solid enough for 275lb person to stand and walk on it with zero flex to wash the roof of the truck.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:13 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Junk Tech
It's hard to find stuff for a Mazda B Series. I figure I'll have to make my own tonneau. On such a small truck I think it'd be nice to have it just fold back in the middle.

I'm new here and I had reservations about supplying this site with so much info about me, but maybe it's okay. What's not okay is all the ads I see (like Bronco is coming), and pop ups. Do I join a forum to see that junk? Hell no.

I joined to get advice from Ford guys. Besides my Mazda, I have a shorty E150 Ford Van, 1982....
Thanks,
JT
I think you’ll get more responses in a different section. This is section is for 2017+ Super Duty trucks. Try one of the engine sections a bit further towards the bottom of the main page. More likely to get your answer there. Welcome to the forum, and they are supposed to be working on the pop ups!

Old 12-16-2018, 06:38 AM
svtride
Tuned
Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
https://www.accesscover.com/original/
I've had one of these Access Originals on my 2011 SD going on 7 years now through all Michigan weather types, winter especially. Still is very good condition, a bit faded but no tears, fraying, no warpage/distortion. Velcro still very grippy. If the soft cover has issues, Access sells all the individual components to repair/replace. I put one on my 2018 SD based on the performance of the 2011 experience. It rolls up very compact, a plus when I load my motorcycle in the bed or need to load gravel or dirt. Really no leakage to speak of. When I load my truck camper, it disassembles from truck in 10 minutes, same on re-installation.

For the $ spent, Very satisfied, I recommend

Old 12-16-2018, 07:37 AM
st1nn3tt
Senior User
Undercover UltraFlex. Those of you that aren't 100% happy with the BakFlip should look at the UltraFlex next time. I had the BakFlip on my 2017 and it leaked too badly for my liking. Also they shipped it with missing hardware and I had to wait a few more days for them to send the rest. The UltraFlex has a carpeted underside and just looks and feels higher quality.
On my half-ton I have the UnderCover Ridgelander. That is an awesome cover but it is solid so you can't really use your bed, which doesn't work for these bigger trucks. It is 100% waterproof though and has the rhino-rack system for skis, fishing rods, etc.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:31 PM
Tricon
Logistics Pro
Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I got an Access roll up cover. I had one on my last truck for 7 years and it looked brand new still. I can't use the fold up kinds, I put dirt bikes in every weekend and it's a huge pain in the *** for me to flip it up ou take it off, and I hate that you can't see what's in the bed when it's flipped up. Just depends on how you plan on using it.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:02 AM
dnewton3
Elder User
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Junk Tech

I joined to get advice from Ford guys. Besides my Mazda, I have a shorty E150 Ford Van, 1982. I want to jerk the 300 six / automatic and sell it, and install a 302 with a manual 4 speed OD transmission that I have in stock. This is where my question comes in .... I'd like to make 300 hp on my 302 engine build. I'm thinking GT40P heads because the small chambers would give good cr with my stock 1981 flat tappet shortblock. But I keep reading that the plugs won't clear most headers. This is a real problem, because I will of course use some cheap headers from ebay - don't wanna pay high dollar. I gained needed clearance on a Chevy engine once by adding a quarter inch flange plate behind the header flange to space the header out. Does anybody know if doing this would give enough clearance to get the plugs out of the GT40P head?
Thanks,
JT

There is a specific sub-forum for you engine questions; move your conversation over there.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:01 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 935 Likes on 737 Posts
Originally Posted by Davparks2
I have the truck covers usa american roll cover. Nothing short of amazing except for the price. Its rock solid after heavy use over the last 2 years I open and close the cover at least 4 times a day. It has a few unique features.

1.) The pull strap is made of solid seat belt material and is 2 inches wide not crappy nylon that tears and breaks easily.

2.) Its the only cover I know of that has a release strap inside the bed under the cover. This allows you to simply drop the tailgate with button or fob then pull the quick release instead of going through the hassle of unlocking it with key. This is amesome feature if you have electronic tail gate.

3.) It has the smallest roll box in the industry only about 8 inches square. So doesnt intrude into bed much.

4.) It has 4 drains one at each corner to drain water faster.

5.) Its solid interlocking aluminum so its very theft resistant.

6.) The top of the roll box is solid enough for 275lb person to stand and walk on it with zero flex to wash the roof of the truck.

Can you stop this cover partially closed and drive with it that way?

Old 12-17-2018, 09:18 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
I have the Ford Tri-fold on my 2015 F150 (its a Backflip with Ford emblem on it) and I have an over the rail toolbox on my F250 8ft bed. I'm selling both trucks and consolidating into a new 8ft bed Super Duty.

On the Tri-fold my only gripe is you have to slightly open the bed to shut it otherwise the weather strip gets bound up. It really frankly annoys me for some reason (things like that usually do not annoy me) and I may find one that doesn't require that. Are there any over the rail folding covers you can partially fold up and drive with? You can partially fold and strap the Ford tri-fold as it has D-rings up front for that.

Has anyone used the BAKbox tool box? This is great but I read its only 10 inches deep so you'd need to run 2 of them? Kinda expensive to run 2 of them and I may have better luck making a plywood box and utilizing the front boxlink mounts to hold it up (and if it gets too heavy i could put some legs down to the bedfloor).

Thanks, this thread has been really informative.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:36 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 191124x7
I have a backflip, and overall I'm well pleased with it.

Pros:
  • Looks good
  • Works well
  • Easy to fold / unfold after I learned how. (There is a cable that hangs down on both sides of each section and you have to pull it to unlatch each section. I started climbing in the bed to pull both at once, but learned that you can just walk along the bed pulling once side and flipping it up. If you're tall enough and in shape enough it makes opening it super easy.)
  • Mostly waterproof
  • Ability to flip it up against the back window giving you full access to your bed.
  • Mode to flip all all but last section and then strap down giving almost full access and visibility out the back.
  • Fairly tough. Having thrown all kinds of stuff on top of it, it has no holes/tears/punctures
  • Holds up when two 70# kids are jumping on it in the middle
  • Very easy to install / uninstall / reinstall without any damage to your truck
  • I bought the optional bakbox and, while it's not an awesome toolbox like a standard one that goes to the bed floor... It does leave the floor open for 8' sheets of plywood/sheetrock... and it is a nice little box. It installs easy enough (and uninstalls / reinstalls even easier). I'm thinking about buying a 2nd one and can't see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Cons:
  • NOT completely waterproof out of the box. It's good enough that I'll put stuff like suitcases that I don't care if they get wet... but if you have important business papers you'd better not put them back there because there's a good chance they will get wet.
  • The finish is wearing. Some of the black is wearing off (after about 18 months). I noticed it when I moved the cover from me F250 to my F350 so maybe when I was carrying it back and forth to/from my garage I did it... but at an rate it doesn't look perfect any more.
  • It's fairly heavy. And I'm in shape. So while I make a one man job out of installing/uninstalling it would be easier with two.
  • On the not-waterproof front... I have modified their design so maybe it's a bit my fault. They ship with drains that they say you should cut holes in the rubber plugs at the front of your bed... not my style. So I saw on this forum how to get copper elbows and flexible pipe and drain through the existing holes at the top of the bed. Maybe that doesn't work well... or maybe I did it wrong...or maybe the bed just isn't 100% waterproof...
  • I had hoped that I could drive with any number of sections open... but that doesn't work. The wind catches the open sections and whips/slams them shut. So don't do that. The only way to do that is to open all but one and use the included straps.
Gripes:
  • For something that costs slightly north of $1,000 you'd think they would have their act together. But when I was shipped the original cover... they didn't include the clamps that fasten the cover rails to the bed rails. Trying to communicate that with them was a nightmare. Their phone people were terrible, couldn't understand even when given part numbers... shipped me some wrong parts... it ended up taking a week or two if I remember correctly... for them to get it right.
  • I will say that when they did finally understand they overnighted the entire bag of parts... which I kept as extras... and that made my reinstall on the F350 easier... so all's well that ends well.

I didn't really research any others, so I'm not objective... but if I needed another cover, I'd re-purchase the bakflip without hesitation.

Nice truck.

Whats the distance from the front of the bed to the second fold there? The little one up front and the next one. I want to mount a toolbox under there but don't want to loose a ton of space incase I need to haul something long and tall.

Also, do you have to open the last flap before shutting the tailgate? That drives me nuts on my F150 but maybe I mounted it too far back...

Quick Reply: Tonneau Cover Opinions - Roll-Up or Tri-Fold