~8500lb Travel Trailer in the American SouthWest--F250 6.2 or F150 Ecoboost (2019s)? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Towing Forum > Conventional (Bumper Pull) Towing; Travel Trailers & Pop-ups
Reload this Page >

~8500lb Travel Trailer in the American SouthWest--F250 6.2 or F150 Ecoboost (2019s)?

Notices

~8500lb Travel Trailer in the American SouthWest--F250 6.2 or F150 Ecoboost (2019s)?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Lindenwood is starting off with a positive reputation.

I am selling my daily-driven "Overland" 4Runner (already have a committed buyer), and replacing it with a full-sized pickup to pull a 8800lb GTWR Airstream. For either the F150 or F250, I intent to add sliders, bumpers, probably a winch, and do some custom skid plates. I'll also be running larger tires, and re-gearing with lockers. I hit the trails almost every week in my 4Runner, and expect I'll be doing [or attempting] much of the same stuff in the new truck.

On most trips, I'll have a fridge, fuel, tools, and possibly a generator in the bed of the truck, plus my famiy of course. Assume the trailer brakes, WDH, and sway-control are dialed in.

The F150 is the only half-ton with a high enough GCWR that such a setup won't put me right at or over the limit, as I can estimate probably 16000+ pounds combined weight for these trips, with the occasional possibility off adding another couple (say, 400lbs extra).

Obviously, even with an 18100lb GCWR, the F150 would thus be pushing 90% of its rated capacity for perhaps 5-10k miles a year. Conversely, the F250 would only be at about 75% of its rated capacity.

Another advantage of the F250 is the stouter drivetrain--specifically its solid front axle. As mentioned, I like this for the type of offroading I do.

Naturally, however, the F150 Ecoboost is going to probably get 50% better gas mileage, and be about $3000-4000 cheaper off the lot. The size difference is not particularly significant to me. I am, however, slightly more concerned about the reliability of the more complex twin-turbo engine.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Old 12-15-2018, 11:01 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
My prior truck was a 1/2 ton. It would have pulled 8800 lbs. At least it was _rated_ for that much weight. But it wouldn't have been any fun at all. Even with lower towed weights I was actively managing the transmission to keep it and the engine cool.

I bought my F-350 to be a dedicated tow rig. It isn't my daily driver and when I'm in the mountains the truck is parked. My Polaris Ranger is my trail rig. On most camping adventures I'm towing my 11k GVWR toy hauler over at least one mountain pass. I point the truck uphill, it does it's thing and I don't worry about it.

The F-250 will be a more stable towing platform than the F-150. The downside of the 150/250 trucks is the cargo capacity. The F-350 has about 1,000 lb more capacity. But if you stick to the 6.2L engine that won't be an issue unless you think you're going to pull a fifth wheel.

Old 12-15-2018, 12:40 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Naturally, however, the F150 Ecoboost is going to probably get 50% better gas mileage
Firstly, the EcoBoost WILL NOT get better mileage when towing or when loaded heavy. It's Eco OR Boost, not both at the same time.

In my opinion, the engine is the last thing you need to be worried about here. With a trailer that heavy, and family and gear in the truck, you will be at or over your payload rating on the half ton truck even with the unicorn heavy payload / Max Tow setup. Even if you stay within your trailer rating and your GCVW numbers, Payload on the half ton absolutely WILL be an issue.

I loved the ecoboost I owned, best truck I've ever had, but if it was me in your situation, I'd be getting the Super Duty for sure. No question, end of story.

EDIT: I would also agree with HRTKD Unless your state has some tax issues, get an F350 instead of the F250. Main difference is in the sticker, but the cost is virtually nothing.

Old 12-15-2018, 01:04 PM
afret
Junior User
afret is starting off with a positive reputation.
I consider a F350 but decided on an F250. I wanted the 6.2L engine for towing 6-7K lbs and since the F250 (I think) gets the 6r100 trans designed for the 6.2L I went with the F250 with 4.30 gears. In addition I don't need the added payload capacity of the F350.

Old 12-15-2018, 02:38 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by afret View Post
I consider a F350 but decided on an F250. I wanted the 6.2L engine for towing 6-7K lbs and since the F250 (I think) gets the 6r100 trans designed for the 6.2L I went with the F250 with 4.30 gears. In addition I don't need the added payload capacity of the F350.
That is a good point and one I forgot. These days the F250 Gas gets the Torqueshift G (6R100) vs the Cr140 on the F350 Gas trucks. I don't know how much of a difference that makes, but it is a real difference.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 PM
PlanoRob
New User
PlanoRob is starting off with a positive reputation.
We have an 8,000-lb travel trailer that was pulled with a half-ton and now a 250. There is zero doubt in my mind that you’ll regret buying a half-ton in this circumstance. An 8k travel trailer is a much different pulling experience than an 8k utility trailer. You need more truck for hours of highway speeds pulling a load like that.

I’m betting you already knew this and just wanted evidence to show Wifey, correct?

Old 12-15-2018, 04:36 PM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Thanks! Yup, we were definitely leaning toward the 250, and this helps a lot!

Just to clarify something, the max payload of the F250 SRW is around 3550lbs correct? Adding up all the likely things I would ever carry between the cab and the bed, including 5 adults and a 900lb tongue weight, I am coming to about 2750lb. So, I would be fine with the standard gas F250?

Thanks again!

Old 12-15-2018, 04:42 PM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
Just to clarify something, the max payload of the F250 SRW is around 3550lbs correct?
I think you mentioned you were looking at a crew cab? Cargo capacities on a crew cab 4x4 are between 2345 and 2649 I think. And that's on an XL model without heavy options. With a Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 you could be in trouble.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:20 PM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Originally Posted by seventyseven250 View Post
I think you mentioned you were looking at a crew cab? Cargo capacities on a crew cab 4x4 are between 2345 and 2649 I think. And that's on an XL model without heavy options. With a Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 you could be in trouble.
Ah, yes 4x4 CCSB XL.

I do keep seeing different numbers. The 2018 Superduty Towing Guide has a chart that says "Maximum Cargo Weight with Slide-in Camper" and shows this configuration at 2645lbs.

However, the SuperDuty Brochure's 'Max Payload Weight Ratings" chart shows 3370 or 3470, which makes more sense given the curb weight is around 6500lbs depending on options.

What am I not understanding? Does "cargo" refer to what you can put in the bed, whereas "payload" includes anything in the cabin?

Old 12-15-2018, 05:25 PM
afret
Junior User
afret is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by seventyseven250 View Post
Yup, it is 2787 lbs for my XLT CCLB 4WD according to the sticker. I guess that means my truck weighs around 7200 lbs. He would be right at the limit with this configuration. Maybe the F350 might be the way to go in his situation?

Old 12-15-2018, 05:42 PM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Originally Posted by afret View Post
Yup, it is 2787 lbs for my XLT CCLB 4WD according to the sticker. I guess that means my truck weighs around 7200 lbs. He would be right at the limit with this configuration. Maybe the F350 might be the way to go in his situation?
Do you have the gss or diesel?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:09 PM
ShotgunZ71
Senior User
ShotgunZ71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks! Yup, we were definitely leaning toward the 250, and this helps a lot!

Just to clarify something, the max payload of the F250 SRW is around 3550lbs correct? Adding up all the likely things I would ever carry between the cab and the bed, including 5 adults and a 900lb tongue weight, I am coming to about 2750lb. So, I would be fine with the standard gas F250?

Thanks again!
Yes, you'll be fine. I have an F-250 Platinum 6.2 and my payload is rated for 2930lbs.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:15 PM
Lindenwood
Junior User
I did find one important blurb in the towing guide that listed ~2650lb as the max cargo weight:

"Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is
maximum allowable, assuming weight of
a base vehicle with required camper option
content and a 150-lb. passenger at each
available seating position
"

So, that would be 900lbs, which brings the total allowable payload to 3550lbs, including the driver. That also seems to jibe with the other numbers I posted above.

Does that make sense?

Old 12-15-2018, 06:35 PM
ShotgunZ71
Senior User
ShotgunZ71 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I did find one important blurb in the towing guide that listed ~2650lb as the max cargo weight:

"Cargo Weight Rating shown in chart is
maximum allowable, assuming weight of
a base vehicle with required camper option
content and a 150-lb. passenger at each
available seating position
"

So, that would be 900lbs, which brings the total allowable payload to 3550lbs, including the driver. That also seems to jibe with the other numbers I posted above.

Does that make sense?
The little yellow placard/sticker on the driver's door jam will tell you exactly what your payload is for that particular vehicle. There are many differences in the same lot for similar trucks, depending on options. Mine being a Platinum with every option except 5th wheel prep kit is 2930lbs, so an XL, XLT, Lariat, etc would normally be a bit more. If the Lariat is optioned all the way, it gets close to Platinum numbers and price. Same for King Ranch. I can't speak for a Limited, as I've not heard their numbers.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:59 PM
Lindenwood
Junior User
Originally Posted by ShotgunZ71 View Post
The little yellow placard/sticker on the driver's door jam will tell you exactly what your payload is for that particular vehicle. There are many differences in the same lot for similar trucks, depending on options. Mine being a Platinum with every option except 5th wheel prep kit is 2930lbs, so an XL, XLT, Lariat, etc would normally be a bit more. If the Lariat is optioned all the way, it gets close to Platinum numbers and price. Same for King Ranch. I can't speak for a Limited, as I've not heard their numbers.
Thanks! That makes sense to me. Of course, I am also still shopping so I dont have a specific yellow sticker available yet .

Does anyone know if the sticker assumes a 150lb driver? I believe tow ratings assume a 150lb driver and full fuel tank, but otherwise no other cargo. If that is the case, that would give your Platinum perhaps 3070lbs of total payload, no?

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.