Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

SIRIUS cuts out, any adjustment possible

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2018, 05:19 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
SIRIUS cuts out, any adjustment possible

I am noticing some fairly regular 2 second no music blips with SIRIUS while driving in unobstructed areas. This has never happened here in several previous trucks, only in mountains when traveling. So do I have a winter weather related issue, a radio that is failing or a bad antenna? Anyone else noticing this? Hate going to the dealer where it probably wont misbehave.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have been having the same issue in several of my trucks, my F150 as well as a couple of my Rams. In fact, I had to send a refresh signal to one of my Rams this week. I'm assuming since it just isnt one truck having problems that SiriusXM is having some signal issue recently.

Old 12-15-2018, 06:01 AM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Mine would cut out like that a lot locally here due to lots of ledges and around tall buildings in the city. I had the same results with my 2011, 2014 and 2017. It worked good on the open road when I'd take a rare road trip. I'm usually close to home and it drove me bonkers cutting out all of the time. Needless to say I only renewed Sirius once on my 2011 and haven't renewed the subscription on my last 2 trucks.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM
bedwards
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It must be a Sirius thing because I live way out in the country and it cuts out in the same places every time with nothing but power lines around.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:55 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
When I tried Sirius the cut outs drove me nuts. I never got past the trial period. For me the radio and podcasts are all I need.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:14 AM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, that’s normal. My first Sirius/XM truck had a nice shark fin antenna. That was a ‘03 GMC. About the only thing reliable on that truck was the XM signal. It only cut out next to tall buildings or mountains. Each subsequent truck I’ve owned with satellite radio (say 3-4 since then) has gotten noticeably worse. Sound quality is still good, but the signal strength is getting worse. Overall it’s still decent, but no where near as reliable. Clear sky or not, there are areas in my city with service “gaps”

Personally, I think we are suffering from a combination of smaller antennas and degraded satellite service. If you travel to the same areas and it always cuts out, then my guess is it’s the service. If the cutouts are random and not repeatable by region, then it might be somthing with the antenna

Old 12-15-2018, 02:36 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
I think these dropouts are the exception rather than the rule. I recently drove from NYC to Buffalo NY and back. I don't recall a single dropout.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:32 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Red-Lariat
I am noticing some fairly regular 2 second no music blips with SIRIUS while driving in unobstructed areas. This has never happened here in several previous trucks, only in mountains when traveling. So do I have a winter weather related issue, a radio that is failing or a bad antenna? Anyone else noticing this? Hate going to the dealer where it probably wont misbehave.
When this current generation F150 came out in 2015, there were some but not all people having SIRIUS reception issues with the stations just cutting out for no reason at all and it turned out that some but not all of the SIRIUS antennas in our F150`s were bad and needed to be replaced. There is a TSB on this.

Old 12-16-2018, 05:47 AM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
When this current generation F150 came out in 2015, there were some but not all people having SIRIUS reception issues with the stations just cutting out for no reason at all and it turned out that some but not all of the SIRIUS antennas in our F150`s were bad a needed to be replaced. There is a TSB on this.
Dealer replaced mine after I told the service writer that it cut out when around cell towers. Of course I also had to tell him about the tsb.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:36 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you have Sync/Connect Impeded Modem (The Shark Fin) you get better reception I sometime get a bad signal around tall bldgs and cell towers

Old 12-16-2018, 03:33 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
I have the shark fin on my Edge and 2018 F150 and they both cut out at the same place going OVER a overpass here in Abilene. the same place every time and for the same amount of time. the 2015 F150, without sharkfin, and the 2016 Escape, with sharkfin, did as well. My 2012 never cut out there! The answer I got was there must be a cell tower close buy, which there is but it was there when I had the 2012, which never cut out there. It just did the standard places, tall buildings, trees or very close large hills, we have a lot of roads cut into hills creating canyons, to the south. I think there have been some other changes by Ford or with Sirrus since they merged with XM.

Old 12-16-2018, 08:22 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by GABAR
When this current generation F150 came out in 2015, there were some but not all people having SIRIUS reception issues with the stations just cutting out for no reason at all and it turned out that some but not all of the SIRIUS antennas in our F150`s were bad a needed to be replaced. There is a TSB on this.
Does someone have the TSB number and can you please post a link?

Old 12-16-2018, 08:24 PM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
can you tell me the TSB number or post a link?

Old 12-17-2018, 12:48 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
This is the only TSB I found. I guess there might be others.

https://ford.oemdtc.com/2059/sirius-...016-ford-f-150

Old 12-20-2018, 09:32 AM
Big-Red-Lariat
Laughing Gas
Sirius antenna

Dealer says I need to bring the truck in to see the part number on the antenna before they can swap it out under the TSB. I find this strange, most if not all other parts eg. mirrors, headlight etc. can be ordered in advance just by giving them the VIN number. Has anyone had their bad old antenna changed and did it fix the cutting out issue? Am afraid they might bugger up the headliner and cause a leak after warranty runs out.

Quick Reply: SIRIUS cuts out, any adjustment possible