Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of fuel, 1990 Bronco 351w?

Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
1990FRANKENTRUCK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question What kind of fuel, 1990 Bronco 351w?

Hey all, I have been filling up my bronco with regular fuel, but was wondering if I would benefit at all from higher octane fuel?

The reason I ask is I work on old Volkswagens quite often, and know for a fact that with those old flat 4s, the higher cost of high octane fuel is cancelled out by how much better the engines run on it, and they actually will get more kms to a tank as well.

That being said, I am unsure of what is even recommended from the factory for my bronco. So, what are your experiences with different fuels in your 351w?

One more thing, I have read in a few places that if I advance the timing a bit (say from 10 to 14) and run higher octane fuel, I will get a little power gain. Is there any truth to this?

Thanks in advance

Zach

Old 12-15-2018, 03:07 PM
deadeyedevon
Posting Guru
deadeyedevon has a very good reputation on FTE.deadeyedevon has a very good reputation on FTE.deadeyedevon has a very good reputation on FTE.deadeyedevon has a very good reputation on FTE.
I run high octane, seems to run better.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:14 PM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
These motors were designed around 87 octane so there is no need to run higher octane in a healthy all stock motor. Of course with age and wear carbon buildup in the combustion chambers can make it prone to pre ignition and then higher octane will help but that is more of a bandaid fix that doesn't address the real problem. Advancing the base ignition timing a few degrees does produce more torque and if you combine that with higher octane the timing can be advanced even more for a little more gain.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:24 AM
1990FRANKENTRUCK
Freshman User
1990FRANKENTRUCK is starting off with a positive reputation.
Awesome, thanks for the info! Exactly what I was hoping to know.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.