2011 6.7 Brakes Locking Up - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

2011 6.7 Brakes Locking Up

Old 12-14-2018, 01:32 PM
CptObvious
New User
CptObvious is starting off with a positive reputation.
2011 6.7 Brakes Locking Up

I apologize if this has been answered before but I am having a lot of trouble with my truck.

The brakes on my truck start to lock down randomly as I am driving. It is all four brakes, and the pedal gets very hard when this happens. I have taken it to my local Ford Dealer and they had so much trouble diagnosing it that they claim they called in their service engineer. The brake booster, master cylinder, and abs module have been replaced and none of that has fixed the issue. I cannot afford to keep paying them to throw parts at it, so I took the truck home. They had it for over 30 days.

Recap:
-Brakes lock down while driving, sometimes I can make it 40+ miles, sometimes less than 1
-hard pedal
-Let it sit a few minutes you can hear the calipers letting off as they allow the truck to roll into the trans holding it and they release
-The technician claims pulling back on the pedal with your toes will get it to stop (I have not tried this yet)
-new booster
-new master cylinder
-new abs module
-all ford parts all installed by ford

Thank you for the help in advance.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:39 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
The braided stainless lines from the master to the ABS have a plastic lining and do collapse internally and can causes the calipers to stick.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:23 PM
CptObvious
New User
Originally Posted by ford390gashog View Post
The braided stainless lines from the master to the ABS have a plastic lining and do collapse internally and can causes the calipers to stick.
I have these two hoses that the Ford tech told me to replace before I picked it up, he said this is what they were going to do next, but they wanted $600 for the install. Are these what you are referring to?

BC3Z-2C294-B
​​​​​​​BC3Z-2C295-A

Old 12-14-2018, 05:20 PM
CptObvious
New User
Thank you for the response.

I have BC3Z-2C294-B and BC3Z-2C295-A

Lines that the tech at Ford told me to replace. They seem to be the feed and return lines from the master to the abs. One is steel braided the other is rubber but very short. I will install them tomorrow and report back.

Old 12-15-2018, 07:23 PM
CptObvious
New User
I replaced both lines from the master to the abs today. It did not change anything. If I pull back on the pedal with my foot after leaving every red light/after every time I press the brakes then they never lock up.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:51 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Does this truck have hydroboost?

Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM
CptObvious
New User
Does this truck have hydroboost?
No, it has a vacuum booster.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM
CptObvious
New User
I wanted to update this thread for anyone else that may have this issue in the future.

Turns out the problem was the rod inside the brake booster was too long. I removed the master cylinder and tightened down the rod 2-3 rounds until the pedal did not apply brake pressure until after an inch or so of travel. It has been about three weeks and I have not experienced the problem during that time.

30+ days and $3k down the drain, but at least it is working now. The experience has not endeared me to car dealerships.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:07 PM
droldsmorland
Posting Guru
droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.droldsmorland has a good reputation on FTE.
Thanks for the follow-up post. So important when we are hunting for answers online in the heat of the moment, (in the driveway, in the dark, in the rain, job interview the next AM) looking for answers and the thread goes dead. I spent 2Gs, 60 days and fortunately, ( I think?) my own time chasing down a vibration. If I had to pay for the labor I would have certainly doubled that 2K.
Thanks again and glad you found the problem.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.