Chicom ICP for spare, OEM cut open W/pics - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Chicom ICP for spare, OEM cut open W/pics

Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old 12-14-2018, 12:13 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.

Recently replaced my ICP with a motorcraft and it got me to thinking about a spare since I spend a good bit of time in Baja far away from a parts store, ordered a $12 Chicom off of eBay figuring the seller has sold 3000 of them and still has a 99.4% rating they must work for at least a little while,

So my question is, if you have run one did it last ? And more importantly was it accurate ? did you check the PIDs and verify it reads at least about what you would expect to see ?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:39 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Why not just unplug it if oils' present/acting funny.. to get you home? I no mine ran perfect when unplugging. Only difference was the CEL was lit. I unplugged it to set the light so i wouldnt have to be the UBER and take everyone to Bakersfield..

Old 12-14-2018, 10:28 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.pirate4x4_camo has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by timmyboy76 View Post
Why not just unplug it if oils' present/acting funny.. to get you home? I no mine ran perfect when unplugging. Only difference was the CEL was lit. I unplugged it to set the light so i wouldnt have to be the UBER and take everyone to Bakersfield..
that could be well over a thousand mile trip.
I was under the impression unplugging it defaulted the pcm to 500 for starting, are you saying it runs just fine ? If so why have one at all ?

Old 12-14-2018, 11:34 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
timmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud oftimmyboy76 has much to be proud of
Excellent question...maybe my mpg tanked some from doing so but it was a drive from laHabra to Elsinore..never missed a beat, slick..kinda like the EBP sensor/tube. Drove mine for 4yrs with sensor capped and tube removed with bolt plugging the manny...

Old 12-15-2018, 01:31 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
A quick goog says the default ICP value is 750 psi when the PCM gets no signal. Enough to start and run but forget power. My recollection is it was higher, but whatev.

For $13 that ICP looks like a great thing to toss in the parts box. Even if it sucks you can yank the wire and get the default 750 psi.

Old 12-15-2018, 11:09 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350 View Post
A quick goog says the default ICP value is 750 psi when the PCM gets no signal. Enough to start and run but forget power. My recollection is it was higher, but whatev.

For $13 that ICP looks like a great thing to toss in the parts box. Even if it sucks you can yank the wire and get the default 750 psi.
yuuuupp...4got to mention that

With having sold over 3k with 95% rating, how many were purchased by a shop with misdiagnose..lol

Old 12-15-2018, 12:25 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
Being the curious type, I cut open my motorcraft ICP to inspect the components, I think I will order 2 of the Chicom. 1 for the glove box and a second to cut open and compare to these motorcraft parts.

componet wise it’s pretty simple.
metal housing
gaskets
circiut board with chip MLX12106R E04136 1611
ceramic pressure sensor 27885 -2
gaskets

All in all it is a pretty simple, ceramic disk is a variable capacitor that measures the deformation of its plates capictance, the chip set amplifies that millivolt diffrence into a standard automotive 0-5 volt signal

Old 12-15-2018, 01:08 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
I too, also live dangerously..whats your findings on the failure part to allow oil into the metal prongs

Old 12-15-2018, 08:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
The blue O-ring is sandwiched between the case and the ceramic pick, if it leaks then oil makes it way up into the circuit board and put the connector end.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:46 AM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
I went fishing with the idea that, that blue oring could be had if a failed icp insued. Apparently, the icp didnt win the war when accomplishing such voyage...appreciate the info though

Old 12-17-2018, 12:27 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
aawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud ofaawlberninf350 has much to be proud of
Thanks for cutting it up and posting the pic, never seen that before. Reps!

Maybe change the title to include a reference to the pic? Make it easier to show up in searches.

I'm going to get one as a spare too. Do me a favor and confirm the harness is the same. The Chinese ICP comes with a pigtail, be good to know it's same fitment as the OE ICP.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:38 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
edit made

while I am still going to put one in my glove box for a spare regardless, I would really like to know how the logic on the chip stacks up against the Ford unit, time permitting in the spring ( traveling until then ) I may rig up a test using a porta power on a manifold and measure the signal outputs of each at various pressures.... because I am am curious like that

Old 12-17-2018, 08:17 AM
SaintITC
Posting Guru
SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.SaintITC has a great reputation on FTE.
You could plug the china one into the head next to the Motorcraft ICP, and simply switch between them during similar runs on the same road, use TP or such to log the runs. And you can leave it there unused just to see whether it holds up to the pressure and leaks. Built in spare ICP... if the leads are long enough.

Old 12-17-2018, 12:04 PM
timmyboy76
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SaintITC View Post
You could plug the china one into the head next to the Motorcraft ICP, and simply switch between them during similar runs on the same road, use TP or such to log the runs. And you can leave it there unused just to see whether it holds up to the pressure and leaks. Built in spare ICP... if the leads are long enough.
creating a dual pigtail off the main leads...fart smeller..no need for switch, just pull over, pop hood, unplug oem icp tail and plug in am icp pigtail into am icp...may have to get a fitting thats #5orb x 1/8not(f)

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.