Good Brand of Paint - Page 2 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Good Brand of Paint

Old 01-03-2019, 12:16 AM
myrtlehead
New User
myrtlehead is starting off with a positive reputation.
I remember the advice i got for my first paint job "find the person you hate the most and offer to paint their car". Turned out to be pretty good advice, for my first 3 cars.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Imadentguy
Senior User
Imadentguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by myrtlehead View Post
I remember the advice i got for my first paint job "find the person you hate the most and offer to paint their car". Turned out to be pretty good advice, for my first 3 cars.
LOL thats awesome

Old 01-04-2019, 09:37 AM
the_hetz
Senior User
the_hetz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by Imadentguy View Post
Paint and body is the most expensive hit when building a car or a truck. People freak when they find out what it actually costs. Make sure you use an activated single stage. If you do not have a drier sustem for your air, google “toilet paper air filter” and at least buy something like that to use as an air filtration system. There is a ton of information available online on how to do paint and body. Alot of you tube videos as well. You learn how to paint by doing it. Take your time and make sure everything is right before you go to the next step. A quality paint job is 90% preperation and 10% application. Go and talk to a rep at a local automotive paint supply store if you have one. Tell them it is your first go at it and tell them what your expectations are. They will lead you in the right direction.good luck and post pics. If you have any questions i will check back here to see if you have posted any updates.
If you use the toilet paper roll 'drier' make sure you use a filter right at the gun as well. I chased around debris getting in my paint for quite a while one time and finally decided that it was either 1. the toilet paper 'roll' sending lint through the lines or 2. the air hose breaking down or being contaminated on the inside. I now use the drier from the air system on a semi tractor and a dedicated hose that is NEVER directly hooked up to the compressor, and have had 0 issues since.

Make sure you go to an actual PAINT rep, NOT an auto parts store that sells paint.

Kirker Enduro prime is my go to epoxy primer as of now. Very affordable, sprays great.

I have not used their (Kirker's) top coats but I have seen 0 complaints from people that actually use them in forums. Get their paint chip card from autobodytoolmart and check out their colors.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:49 PM
Tex51
Senior User
Tex51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a Sherwin-Williams paint store about 1/2 mile from my house. I will go with a single base red paint with the hardener. I will see how I do and how many times I sand and repaint before I decide if I need to put a clear coat. I want to thank all of yall for the advice and this paint job I am sure will be good even thou it is my first try. I am not going to beat my self up to bad on my mistakes. I can always sand and repaint.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
the best paint in the world will look like crap if the person shooting it is no good.
and on the same line, a really really good painter can make cheap paint look like a million dollar job.
i have seen clueless people spend 5 grand for paint and it looked like a 3 year old with a roller put it on the metal.
i have also seen $45 worth of Rustoleum paint come out looking like a car show grand prize winner.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:34 PM
the_hetz
Senior User
the_hetz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
the best paint in the world will look like crap if the person shooting it is no good.
and on the same line, a really really good painter can make cheap paint look like a million dollar job.
i have seen clueless people spend 5 grand for paint and it looked like a 3 year old with a roller put it on the metal.
i have also seen $45 worth of Rustoleum paint come out looking like a car show grand prize winner.
So true, but there is also something we don't want to mislead people on, and that is the false economy of using something like Rustoleum to save money. There are diminishing returns on both end of the spectrum. What I mean is -- you can only save so much money and get a decent job, and at the same time you can only spend so much money to get a higher quality job. I'm speaking mostly from a durability perspective here.

Rustoleum is what I call the bottom of the barrel. What is it, like $15/gallon or something? In my experience, hardener doesn't even seem to do anything in it, but it does look great if prepped and applied correctly. If you are building a TV stand that you want to do under budget and it will live inside, great. Don't use it on a car and expect it to last. The sun will beat through it in a couple years.

The most expensive metallic base I've sprayed was about $600/gallon and that was close to 15 years ago now. I can say that I don't recall that paint covering any better than the cheaper ~$100/gallon Nasons I've used before and after it, and it certainly doesn't seem to have an edge in durability. Thus, I'd say once you hit the $100-$125 mark for base coats you're into better colors and products that are good enough quality. They start dinging you for flashier colors and better, more accurate matching beyond here, from what I can tell...not really important things 9/10 times for a hobbyist like myself.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:50 PM
Tex51
Senior User
Tex51 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I think for my first time try I will stay with a paint that is $200. or less per gallon. This should give me a good starting point and not kill my budget. I will use just a single base red paint to paint the inside and outside. I will shoot the outside firewall first and that will help me see what I will do. I will not have the fancy spray booth and will probably just us the car port area.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Imadentguy
Senior User
Imadentguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hang up tarps and choose your spray day carefully. Do you live in the country? Practice on a junk panel. You need to see how the material lays out with each pass. It will flow out after you make your pass. Follow the re coat time provided by the mnufacturer..... WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!

Old 01-13-2019, 05:57 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Tex51 View Post
I think for my first time try I will stay with a paint that is $200. or less per gallon. This should give me a good starting point and not kill my budget. I will use just a single base red paint to paint the inside and outside. I will shoot the outside firewall first and that will help me see what I will do. I will not have the fancy spray booth and will probably just us the car port area.
I have painted cars / trucks before this truck that is also red (factory color), and doing it in a single stage with hardner.
I do have a garage that I have also been doing the body work in so it will need a really good cleaning before any full painting goes on. I will also pick a day that is not to windy as the garage doors do not seal to well and don't want dirt blowing in.
Originally Posted by Imadentguy View Post
Hang up tarps and choose your spray day carefully. Do you live in the country? Practice on a junk panel. You need to see how the material lays out with each pass. It will flow out after you make your pass. Follow the re coat time provided by the mnufacturer..... WEAR A RESPIRATOR!!!
Also wet the area down inside and outside the port to help keep the dirt / dust down. Don't have puddles, just damp, because moving the hose can kick water up on the panels to be painted.
Dave ----

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.