2006 Navigator 2WD Rear Air Ride Suspension Down Won't Inflate - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator
Reload this Page >

2006 Navigator 2WD Rear Air Ride Suspension Down Won't Inflate

Notices
1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

2006 Navigator 2WD Rear Air Ride Suspension Down Won't Inflate

Old 12-11-2018, 06:33 PM
timjamz
New User
timjamz is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question 2006 Navigator 2WD Rear Air Ride Suspension Down Won't Inflate

Hello! Great forum -- a wealth of knowledge!!

I just bought a (nicely maintained) 2006 Navigator 2WD with air ride suspension that is down in the back -- that's why the former owner got out of it. Looks like traditional springs up front so I guess it's rear-only air springs on this model? The guy I bought it from said the air ride can be inflated, but I'm finding there are quite a bit of variation in system configurations, including year to year changes.

When I say down, it's ALL the way down, like rear differential maybe 4-6 inches off the ground. Can any of you good folks offer some basic guidance on this particular truck, to isolate the problem with the air ride? What I've found so far is basically this (I'm new to this type of truck so please forgive my ignorance and errors, but I'm mechanically capable and do virtually all my own repairs so I'm at least teachable):

Check the compressor for operation by briefly jumping it directly w/ 12V?
Check the ride height sensor/link (sensorS/linkS, plural?)?
Check the relay for operation by briefly jumping it at the connector?

Does this sound right? I'm not afraid to (carefully) tear into the rear suspension, but if there are some simple ways to troubleshoot without dismantling too much, I'd like to try those things first. Any suggestion or advice is welcome and appreciated (including witty sarcasm and constructive criticism)!

Thank you!

Tim

2006 Lincoln Navigator 2WD

Last edited by timjamz; 12-11-2018 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Spelling error in post title
Old 12-12-2018, 12:34 PM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by timjamz View Post
Check the compressor for operation by briefly jumping it directly w/ 12V?
Check the ride height sensor/link (sensorS/linkS, plural?)?
Check the relay for operation by briefly jumping it at the connector?
Are telling us you tried these and they didn't help?

Old 12-12-2018, 01:12 PM
timjamz
New User
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
Are telling us you tried these and they didn't help?
Negative. I haven't done any of those things yet -- figured I'd ask someone with experience whether I'm on the right track first, before jumping circuits I know little about to this point!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:16 AM
alloro
Post Fiend
alloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud ofalloro has much to be proud of
Negative. I haven't done any of those things yet
They are good starting points. Try them and let us know what you find, we should be able to help more once you've narrowed down those potential trouble spots.

Old 12-14-2018, 03:16 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
You're a trendsetter, a style maven. You will fit right in with how the cool kids want their trucks to look.
If you are planning to keep the air ride, the most common failure is one of the air lift bags or hoses will leak which causes the compressor to run too long until it burns out or heats up enough to pop a fuse.
OR
You could fix it forever by scrapping the air ride and installing coils/struts. This actually a common swap for older Lincolns.
https://suncoreindustries.com/produc...conversion-kit

Old 12-14-2018, 05:14 PM
timjamz
New User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
You're a trendsetter, a style maven. You will fit right in with how the cool kids want their trucks to look.
If you are planning to keep the air ride, the most common failure is one of the air lift bags or hoses will leak which causes the compressor to run too long until it burns out or heats up enough to pop a fuse.
OR
You could fix it forever by scrapping the air ride and installing coils/struts. This actually a common swap for older Lincolns.
https://suncoreindustries.com/produc...conversion-kit
LOL I'll let someone else set that trend. Thanks, I will check those too. If it gets to be too involved or expensive, I will go the coil/spring route. It went to a dealership as a trade-in right before the lot where I got it so maybe someone just misdiagnosed something or just didn't want to fool with it anymore (I'm hoping). Like I said, it's been WELL maintained with routine dealer service on the whole CarFax history. I'm kind of a die-hard Toyota guy, but this Lincoln is a very nice truck.

The relay on this 2006 is also a different location/style than other years (according to what I could find online), as it sits quite accessibly right between the passenger side headlight and washer reservoir, over the compressor. On this one, I could just pop the relay off and jump battery voltage straight to the single perpendicular connector pin to check compressor operation, does that sound right?

Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Best thing will be to scan it with Forscan* to see if there are any codes set from errors in the AirRide system.
Check fuse 27 & fuse 30, also 15 & 16 and anything associated with the run/start feed.
Here is the owners manual if you didn't already look it up.
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/Fo.../06navog2e.pdf
Best case scenario; it is possible someone turned it off without knowing what they were doing. Or it popped a fuse before destroying any of the spendy bits.
On page 282:
The air suspension shut-off switch is located behind an access panel on the left rear quarter trim panel, near the lift gate. To remove the panel, turn the control counterclockwise.

*Forscan application is available for free, use on a Windows computer with an OBD2 adapter either USB or Bluetooth

Old 12-15-2018, 10:17 AM
timjamz
New User
The relay on this 2006 is also a different location/style than other years (according to what I could find online), as it sits quite accessibly right between the passenger side headlight and washer reservoir, over the compressor. On this one, I could just pop the relay off and jump battery voltage straight to the single perpendicular connector pin to check compressor operation, does that sound right?
Here are some pics of what I have. Am I looking at the right thing? I found one video on YouTube of a guy with a 2006 Expedition saying on THIS YEAR ONLY the relay is here... but everything else I find online for a Navigator/Expedition has the flat-style heat-sink-looking relay. And I don't see a flat-style relay behind the passenger side bumper under the compressor. Looking on Ford's parts site using my VIN, a search for relays includes the one I see in the attached picture (G1UHQ 12V 70A F80B-14B192-AA PA which the Ford website calls a 13A025A or 14N089A), but it's not listed under the suspension section. I sure don't want to start shorting circuits I know nothing about. LOL! Help!

2006 Navigator Air Ride Suspension Relay Location

2006 Navigator Air Ride Suspension Relay Closeup

Old 12-15-2018, 11:54 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Did you scan it with Forscan?
Why are you so focused on that relay? Did you get a DTC for it?
Did you already check all the fuses I mentioned?

Old 12-15-2018, 02:08 PM
timjamz
New User
I haven't purchased a scanner (yet). I did check those fuses, all good. I'm not so concerned with the relay other than getting at its connectors to check if the compressor works (if it's not, all the other testing is moot), and since this model seems different than most I just thought I would share details in case it could help someone else like me Googling down the road. So, if I've got the right connector, is it the center perpendicular pin I need to energize with 12V to check the compressor? Sorry for being dense, I just don't want to &^%$ something up.

Old 12-15-2018, 03:00 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Pin 3 or 5 are the big pins. With the key on, check which one has voltage, then jumper to the other one to test.

Would be much easier to scan it to see what the DTCs say is wrong with it vs random poking at it & parts swapping.

An OBD2 Bluetooth dongle available for under $20 and FREE Forscan will make troubleshooting any OBD2 Ford vehicle much easier.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:04 AM
timjamz
New User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am View Post
An OBD2 Bluetooth dongle available for under $20 and FREE Forscan will make troubleshooting any OBD2 Ford vehicle much easier.
I have one ordered now. Jumping pins 3 and 5 at the relay brought me no joy so I put battery leads straight to the pigtail, and no bueno compressor-o. Turns out it's an aftermarket part so I took it out, took it apart and cleaned it up (man was that thing filthy inside!!!), and now it works so that's cool.

I buttoned it back up and the compressor now runs like it's trying to behave: i.e., it kicks on once the truck is in gear, but after idling in not-park for a few minutes then cruising the hood for another 5 mins or so, the rear suspension seems only slightly inflated even though the compressor cycled several times. That doesn't seem right, does it? But at least now I get a "check suspension" message, which is more than what I was getting when the compressor wasn't working at all and the rear was riding all the way down on the stoppers. LOL!

Here are some photos, just for fun and reference. I guess now I wait for the blue-hickey to come in the mail. Anything more I could try to isolate the issue in the mean-time? Am I probably looking for leaks now? Solenoid(s)? Height sensor(s)? Limp along until the scanner gets here? Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate you taking the time to offer guidance.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:21 AM
Brahms
Freshman User
Brahms is starting off with a positive reputation.
I gave up and replaced the bags with the Arnott coilovers. Easy peasy.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:07 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
May be looking at a new pump if that one is intermittent.
And since it is not original, the vehicle may have other issues that were not addressed when the compressor was replaced.
It also could be that the compressor is not out putting enough air volume to do its job effectively.

But since it runs, but (from what you say) it sounds like it runs too much, I would guess something leaks. Soapy water in a spray bottle like they do at the tire shop. I would start at the connector where the rear two air spring inflator lines come together and work your way forward. Or else a ride height sensor is giving a bad reading. You might want to visually inspect that as well while you wait for the Bluetooth dongle.
The DTCs should point you in the right direction. Now that it is showing a "check suspension" message it will have a code stored to identify the fault. Or more specifically, what the computer thinks the fault is. You may be able to hear a leak if it is bad enough to never reach ride height. Probably a ride height sensor is telling it that the ride height is not changing while it is running so the compressor aborts.
It could be a stuck solenoid not closing or bad wire on it & not getting a signal. Could be a blowed out air spring. May be something obvious like a mouse chewed wire. Would need someone to get under it and look around to see what is going on and listen while the compressor is running.

On that electric motor armature, if you happen to have the motor apart again, the commutator looks like it may be getting filled up in the cracks between the contacts where the brushes hit. I would try to toothpick those cracks out clean to be sure there is no arcing between contacts. I say toothpick because I wouldn't want to use something harder on the Rockwell scale than copper to avoid tearing up the copper as it is very soft. It looks like you should be able to reach in there without disassembling it any more than you had it in the picture.

Old 12-17-2018, 02:57 PM
timjamz
New User
Well, I am definitely unsure why, but after driving it around today the Ford gods have smiled upon me and the rear air ride is up to normal height and smooth as butter. Yay! Maybe a sensor(s) or solenoid(s) jostled back to life with the rear slightly inflated, or maybe something to do with the computer cycling, or maybe it just took that long for this aftermarket pump to build up sufficient pressure? I don't know, but I am stoked it's come back to life and holding pressure with the compressor off! It still shows the "check suspension" message so I'll see what Forscan has to say about that when the bluetooth adapter comes in. I am pleased with this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.