Curious on shop costs. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Curious on shop costs.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:41 PM
Teddymb
New User
Teddymb is starting off with a positive reputation.
Curious on shop costs.

Hey everyone, I am currently on travel in georgia for work and I believe my thermostats need some attention. I called a shop in the area and they quoted me right at 500 dollars to change the thermostats and do a hole coolant flush. Does this seem high or reasonable? I could do the job fairly easy but I will not be home (indiana) for awhile. Also truck is 2008 6.4 KR 4x4 with 198k miles fully deleted, tuned, upgraded turbos, studs. Thanks for your input and time!

Old 12-11-2018, 10:43 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
Let’s figure high cost of materials at $200. I spent $75 for 4 gallons of Final Charge ELC when I did my radiator, complete flush I want to say is 8 gallons, then Ford Motorcraft thermostats were $30 off eBay, so figure $50 through them. Shop rate around me in northern Indiana is $90-100/hr. So that’s approx 3 hrs labor. I would say normally say that’s really high but also do all my own work mostly. However if your in a spot that you don’t have the ability I would say it isn’t terrible, as long as they are a reputable shop.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:01 PM
Teddymb
New User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406 View Post
Letís figure high cost of materials at $200. I spent $75 for 4 gallons of Final Charge ELC when I did my radiator, complete flush I want to say is 8 gallons, then Ford Motorcraft thermostats were $30 off eBay, so figure $50 through them. Shop rate around me in northern Indiana is $90-100/hr. So thatís approx 3 hrs labor. I would say normally say thatís really high but also do all my own work mostly. However if your in a spot that you donít have the ability I would say it isnít terrible, as long as they are a reputable shop.
From what I can tell they are. They are basically diesel only and booked several weeks out with some pretty nice trucks sitting in their lot waiting. Thank you for the input, I just hate paying someone to do something I easily can do in my shop but if I have to pay someone I dont want to get the shaft on the price, especially when I'm not a local. Unfortunately from experience an out of state tag/non local with no other option will get a way jacked up price compared to locals. That's my main reason for asking. Not saying always but it does happen a lot.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
the question is are they going to do it the way is supposed to be done....if they leave air in it...you could crack your cyl and heads

Old 12-12-2018, 04:49 PM
Teddymb
New User
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
the question is are they going to do it the way is supposed to be done....if they leave air in it...you could crack your cyl and heads

. That is very true. I will be asking around to make sure they are good at what they do before hand since I'm not able to even get it in until after the 1st.

Old 12-25-2018, 09:48 AM
F350 1990
Elder User
F350 1990 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
6.4L ---- Materials alone are in the $200+ range:

20-30 gallons of distilled water
4 gallons of ELC (I use CAT in all my diesels --- trucks, heavy equipment, tractors, etc)
1 gallon of Restore/Restore Plus (Cummins or Motorcraft)
Motorcraft thermostats
Motorcraft cap
Fumoto drain valves (2)

Depending on the rust problem those block drain plugs can AND OFTEN DO get a little dicey --- from the factory those 16mm-1.5 plugs use a 8mm hex, but a LARGE MAJORITY of blocks are so rusted that the 8mm hex gets completely rounded out requiring a lot of heat, special tools, etc to remove (we've even had instances where we had to pull the engine because the plug was effectively rusted away -- GONE) .......these problems would add to the following labor bill

Draining, filling, bleeding (wash rinse repeat MULTIPLE TIMES) -- 1-2 hours ($$/hr)..........PLUS any added time to fix / correct those block drain plugs (99% of Northern trucks). I WARN all my customers about this problem beforehand.......

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: