Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Might have bad UVCH...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 05:45 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Might have bad UVCH...

So, with my wifes Sequoia down, we've been getting by with my truck and my oldest daughters car. Well, my wife was on her way back from work and said the CE light came on and it started running real rough and could barely get out of it's own way.

Daughter is picking her up, coming to get me, going to rental car(for my work)then I'll have her take me back to the truck and I'll see if I can limp it home. Or possibly see if the UVCH came loose and push it back together.

I'm hoping that's what it is, then I can get the UVCH ordered and get it fixed this week.

Anything else to check? I don't have a scanner.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:01 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like a good place to start. If it's UVCH, you can limp it home. You'll think it will shake the mirrors off, and I personally don't like driving them like that, but I've seen several that have been limped dozens of miles in that condition with seemingly no ill effects later on.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:02 PM
roostercrows
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I drove mine for 10ish miles (more than I wanted) with no issues. Mine turned out to be the IDM wire harness rubbing on the drivers side valve cover. It wore through a wire and and would short out. A simple check would be to lift the harness off and see if there is a difference. Hopefully that's what it is because its a simple fix.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:18 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Got Lawrence limped home, 10.7 miles of mostly dirt roads. Had 2 inclines I was worried about, 1 the Lord helped on because everything ran normal, got over the hill and the SES light came back on with a shudder...

Pretty sure it's the drivers side UVCH because that is where my Pyro is at and it was only 100 degrees. Was gonna check temps with the iPhone FLIR adapter, but it's needing a charge.

Will have to start pulling parts tomorrow night after I get back from a site visit tomorrow.

Thank the Lord for mild weather, no snow to deal with!!

Now, where to buy the UVCH?

In my panic I forgot to mention I've done the .50 mod. Guess it lasted a few years!
More to come.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I'd get out the ohm meter and check things. A bad injector solenoid or chaffed wiring from the IDM around the 42 pin connector can also cause a bank to shut down. A bad injector soleniod typically ohms about .5 or so lower than all the others, but still may read within spec.

Also check for burnt or loose pins in the valve cover gasket pass through connector. If the problem is intermittent, you don't want to do all the work on what you think it is, just to have it act up again after you button it all back up.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:39 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
Got Lawrence limped home, 10.7 miles of mostly dirt roads. Had 2 inclines I was worried about, 1 the Lord helped on because everything ran normal, got over the hill and the SES light came back on with a shudder...

Pretty sure it's the drivers side UVCH because that is where my Pyro is at and it was only 100 degrees. Was gonna check temps with the iPhone FLIR adapter, but it's needing a charge.

Will have to start pulling parts tomorrow night after I get back from a site visit tomorrow.

Thank the Lord for mild weather, no snow to deal with!!

Now, where to buy the UVCH?

In my panic I forgot to mention I've done the .50 mod. Guess it lasted a few years!
More to come.
Zach, Phil Long in the Springs may have it. I would think Clay may it too but because of the aftermath of the California fires it’s been taking over a week to get parts delivered compared to 3-4 days. If you want I can swing by tomorrow am and see if they have one and if they’ll price match. . I’ve never had them not come down in price...

Looks like $50 + shipping.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/under...harness-99-03/

Old 12-10-2018, 09:09 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Colorado350

Zach, Phil Long in the Springs may have it. I would think Clay may it too but because of the aftermath of the California fires it’s been taking over a week to get parts delivered compared to 3-4 days. If you want I can swing by tomorrow am and see if they have one and if they’ll price match. . I’ve never had them not come down in price...

Looks like $50 + shipping.
https://www.riffraffdiesel.com/under...harness-99-03/
thanks John, I will be down that way tomorrow for work so I’ll give them a shout.

This has me thinking I really need to invest in a scanning tool.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:13 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO

thanks John, I will be down that way tomorrow for work so I’ll give them a shout.

This has me thinking I really need to invest in a scanning tool.
‘Take a screenshot of Clay’s price to bring with you. Then after they tell you how bad it’s going to be ask if they’ll match it? If they say no, ask how close they can come. Like a said they’ve always come down in price for me, just gotta ask.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Colorado350

‘Take a screenshot of Clay’s price to bring with you. Then after they tell you how bad it’s going to be ask if they’ll match it? If they say no, ask how close they can come. Like a said they’ve always come down in price for me, just gotta ask.
Will do. Hopefully they have them in stock.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:38 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Have you wrapped the harness to the 42 pin connector to protect it from rubbing the driver side valve cover. Maybe it's not under the cover?

Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Have you wrapped the harness to the 42 pin connector to protect it from rubbing the driver side valve cover. Maybe it's not under the cover?
I looked at the wiring leading to the 42 pin briefly but didn’t see anything that jumped out.
Also for about 2 miles it ran normal.

Will know now more tomorrow night.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Mine would run normal off and on. I initially thought it was the UVCH and checked it several (4) times and each time it would run fine for a day or so and then go back into rough running state.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:57 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by roostercrows
Mine would run normal off and on. I initially thought it was the UVCH and checked it several (4) times and each time it would run fine for a day or so and then go back into rough running state.
Good to know.

Was yours running with 1 bank cold? I'm pretty sure it's the DS bank since my pyro only read 100*.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:44 AM
roostercrows
Elder User
Yep, that's how I knew where to start looking, the drivers side stayed around 130*.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:15 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
So I only was able to start looking around 8pm tonight.
Im able to ohm test the GP’s on the driver side through the UVCH. Can’t ohm the injectors???
No visible issues on the wiring at the 42 pin. I’ll pull the DS cover in the am.

The ICP has oil inside, so that’s probably due for replacement.

Quick Reply: Might have bad UVCH...