2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab
View Poll Results: How often is your truck in the rain/snow or getting washed?
Never. I never wash my truck and it does not rain/snow where I live
0%
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 1 time a quarter
8.08%
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 1 time per month
22.22%
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 1 time per week
46.46%
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 2-4 times per week
19.19%
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 5-6 times per week
3.03%
it either rains, snows or I wash my truck on a daily basis
1.01%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

2017 2018 2019 Door Locks Freezing

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:11 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by delorenzomp
VA13FX4, so, you are reporting something new ( to me, anyway) I do not recall others reporting that repeated closings finally latched, I assume that yours would stay latched fir the followimg driving, did the next cycling of the door latch secure properly?...I recall back with Ford’s ‘Magic Three-Way Tailgate slamming the gate only to have a ‘closed’ latch bounce the tailgate back to you...the fix was to take a large screwdriver and move the pawl to the ‘open’ position, then slam the tailgate and all was goid.
I don’t know if today’s latches share any of those old design details...
I actually just realized something this morning in that it doesn’t latch properly when I open it from the inside. So when I first get in in the morning I open it from the outside, get in, and pull it closed and it latches fine. Normally I don’t get out of the truck until I get to work, and similar to the old tailgates, I had to try to close it 2, 3 or 4 times before it catches. I don’t slam it, just try to close it normally and it will eventually catch. Today I got in at home, closed the door, backed out of the garage, parked, opened the door and closed the door to run inside to grab my coffee. When I came back outside the door was not closed all the way. I lightly pulled on the handle and the door opened. When I say lightly pulled, I mean I didn’t pull hard enough for the handle to operate mechanically. Meaning the handle didn’t extend or function like a door handle where it moves from its resting position. If that makes sense. It took 3 times for it to latch. Once it did latch it was fine. I opened and closed it several times from the outside without issue. Then when I got to work I open it to get out and it just bounces back open again. It took 3 times for it to catch, but once it did it operated normally. I will monitor if it in fact only happens when the door is opened from the inside so I can say for sure, but thinking back I believe it always happens that way. I’m not sure if that will help isolate the issue and lead to a fix or possibly identify a different issue. Water has nothing to do with my issue though as the truck has been completely dry for days. I had this issue a few times last year, but I was living in California and it only happened a couple times when it was “really cold” (for CA anyways) but now I live in Maine and it’s happening almost every morning for the past week or so. Temps have been low teens at night and mid 30s during the day. The truck is about 40 in the garage in the morning.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:29 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
That is intetesting, what year is yours?
( a general question to all, is this occurring to all trim levels, XL to Limited?)
If you’re onto something regarding opening from the inside, perhaps you can roll down the window and see if opening from outside solves that.
It is good to hear (relatively speaking) that you are able to close it after 2-4 attempts...keep us posted, you may help resolve this!

Old 12-11-2018, 05:32 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
That is intetesting, what year is yours?
( a general question to all, is this occurring to all trim levels, XL to Limited?)
If you’re onto something regarding opening from the inside, perhaps you can roll down the window and see if opening from outside solves that.
It is good to hear (relatively speaking) that you are able to close it after 2-4 attempts...keep us posted, you may help resolve this!
good idea about rolling down the window to see if that changes things. Mine is a 17 Platinum.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:40 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Thanks, Good luck !
( if you pinpoint the problem leading to a fix, a Ford coupon good for a 2019 Limited should find its way to you &#128521

Old 12-11-2018, 06:18 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
Just made a video. Spoiler alert... inside door handle is my issue...

Old 12-11-2018, 07:06 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
The video is helpful to me who has not witnessed this issue...everybody seems to claim that when it acts up it will not latch at all while you are getting much better results ...Q: when it does not latch, does locking it change the outcome?
Q2: are all of the door handles the same ( except for chrome, paint or black plastic?

Old 12-11-2018, 07:31 AM
6.2caribou
Laughing Gas
Received 164 Likes on 105 Posts
Good video. I'm betting that there's just one latch on the door, but that it's being operated by either of a pair of enclosed cables...one cable running from each operator/handle.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:48 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
maybe it is the cable routing...maybe it chafes and hangs-up, maybe some are worse than others, maybe some 'last longer' but then one would think that if this were to be the case, Ford would open a few door panels and determine the real fix... (I cannot factor temperature into this thought chain)...

Old 12-11-2018, 07:56 AM
sjanusz01
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 2018 2019 Door Locks Freezing

I have an early 2017 and noticed two things this year when got below freezing:
  • Passenger door would not unlock with remote, had to use inside handle
  • Noticed a white bead (sealant?) push out around outside of trim on outside driver door handle. It pushed out 3/4 inch into loop, when I pulled it it broke apart?
Will be contacting dealer.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:38 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
The video is helpful to me who has not witnessed this issue...everybody seems to claim that when it acts up it will not latch at all while you are getting much better results ...Q: when it does not latch, does locking it change the outcome?
Q2: are all of the door handles the same ( except for chrome, paint or black plastic?
I always lock the doors when it's parked and they auto lock when I start driving and unlock when I put it in park. I will try locking it when the latch doesn't catch to see if it will catch when locked. I haven' seen anyone else's pic/videos so I don' t know if there's a specific style of latch that it's happening more with. I'm also unsure if there's any real difference in the door handles other than the color of the plastic.

Originally Posted by 6.2caribou
Good video. I'm betting that there's just one latch on the door, but that it's being operated by either of a pair of enclosed cables...one cable running from each operator/handle.
Yes, you're most likely correct. I misspoke saying it's the interior latch. What I mean is it's something related to the interior handle.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:41 AM
Redrockerstl55
Fleet Mechanic
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Earlier this year when I tried to manually lock the vehicle it did not help.

Now with this new round of problems with my latches I can manually lock the door and get it to remain closed. But the lock is super stiff almost to the point that I may break my key as I'm trying to lock the door.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:42 AM
VA13FX4
Elder User
maybe it is the cable routing...maybe it chafes and hangs-up, maybe some are worse than others, maybe some 'last longer' but then one would think that if this were to be the case, Ford would open a few door panels and determine the real fix... (I cannot factor temperature into this thought chain)...
I'm not even sure my issue is related to everyone else's since Ford seems to think water entering the lock/latch mechanism has something to do with the issue, and I'm 100% certain water is not a factor in my issue. It also only seems to be an issue on my drivers door. Either way I'll keep everyone posted with what the dealer tries and if it corrects the issue.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:55 AM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Now that I am thinking of this, my cousin who has a 17 F150 was having this problem. We took BrakeKleen and removed ALL the grease we could find and sprayed it a few times a year with Fluid Film. 2 years later, no more issues....

Old 12-11-2018, 10:49 AM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
It either rains, snows or I wash my truck 1 time per month
No problems so far on my 2019 F250 Super Cab...but it sits inside a heated garage most of the time, about 2 nights a week it sits outside in very cold weather.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:00 PM
Mixerman90
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VA13FX4
Just made a video. Spoiler alert... inside door handle is my issue...
https://youtu.be/BRWnVsk5D5E
For me it's the outside handle. I opened the rear door to put something in the back seat and when I closed it, it just bounced back open. Never even used the inside handle.

Quick Reply: 2017 2018 2019 Door Locks Freezing