Fan Shroud 81 F100 300 six - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Fan Shroud 81 F100 300 six

Old 12-10-2018, 07:20 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Fan Shroud 81 F100 300 six

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some information on fan shrouds for my 81 F100 with a 300 six and factory AC. This would be a full shroud, non-AC only has a shield on the top to protect you from the fan.
The information I can get so far from LMC truck based off radiator part numbers is 80-84 is one type of radiator, 85-86 (V belt?) & 87-96 (Serp belt?) different type of radiator.
I know the types are 80-84 bottom & top mount like I have, the 85-97 is a side mount.

Now the question on the shroud(s)
I need one for the 80-84 radiator and no one sells them that I can find.
LMC has them for the 87-96 and they list 2 different ones, AT ($30) & MT ($50) and thinking they are for the serp belt setup?

Would anyone have pictures of the 2 different shrouds (top/bottom 80-84 & side 85-86 radiators) and how they mount to the radiator?
Also if someone would have a picture of the 87-96 shroud either type, I know wrong area to ask, that would help.

Depending how different they are I might be able to use one of the later (87-96) side mount radiator shrouds with a little work?
If no pictures but you know how they mount and what is different between them would help.
Thanks
Dave ----

Old 12-23-2018, 10:21 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
We have success, AC condenser & fan shroud!

1981 F100 w/4.9 300 six and factory AC.

Parts used:
Rock Auto
Radiator SPECTRA PREMIUM CU558 27-1/2" Core Length w/ Air Conditioning or Heavy Duty Cooling
AC condenser APDI/PRO 7013605 With Factory AC

NPD
Radiator Shroud Fan Shroud Repro F5TZ-8146-C #F-8146-18 FOR 1995-1996 Ford Truck

So I first tried the new shroud on the truck with the old radiator and for the most part it looked like it would work as the fan opening and mounting tabs were in the right places but.....

I then pulled the old radiator and tried the shroud on it to see how it would mount and found the shroud did not fit close to the core.

Then tried it on the new radiator with the same results.

My brother that was helping said to trim the lip on either side of the shroud so it would fit past the tanks on the sides.
Well that was the ticket as it now sit close to the core and was then able to use all the stock factory mounting points. Sorry I did not get a picture of this not in the truck.

Here it is installed, I had to tweak the upper radiator mounts a little as the tanks were a little wider but the bottom mounts fit fine.

Now before doing the radiator & shroud I installed the AC condenser.
After reading many posts on the new ones not fitting and trying to get a Ford factory one was even harder I sucked it up and got what I could.
The 2 posts I seen on making it fit was to re-bend the mounting brackets or space it out at the bottom to clear the radiator support.

I went the easy way, space the bottom out. I also had to space the center grille support out a little to clear it but all looks good.
I still need to get longer bolts yet but it should work just fine.

I did the paper pull test on the condenser at idle and it held tight and you can feel the air flow.
If I find air is not being pulled thru the condenser I will use foam pipe insulation to fill the gap as needed.
Dave ----

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.