2002 5.4 2v Spark Plugs. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

2002 5.4 2v Spark Plugs.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:03 PM
wld427
Junior User
wld427 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
2002 5.4 2v Spark Plugs.

My brother just gave my nephew his 2002 F-150 for his 16th birthday. He bought the truck used a couple years back and never changed spark plugs in it.

Is this one of the engines we would need to worry about the plugs breaking off in the heads? I had that issue on my 2007 F-150 3v Fx2. Cost a pretty penny at the dealer getting them removed.

trying to get the truck up and running for the boy.

regards.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.Sam I Am has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by wld427 View Post

Is this one of the engines we would need to worry about the plugs breaking off in the heads?
No, 2002 F150 is a 2 valve unless someone swapped engines. No VCT, no weird spark plug issues as long as you torque them to ~28

Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 PM
ford390gashog
Post Fiend
ford390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud offord390gashog has much to be proud of
Nope that year they just blow out of the heads if they are not torqued right.

Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 PM
Richard S
Junior User
Richard S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well fellows ~ guess that's the engine I have ~ and will soon change the plugs ~ just got the truck ~ saw a couple videos on the changing of plugs ~ like to hear more if you've been through this ```

Richard

Old 12-30-2018, 02:07 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
.... will soon change the plugs ~ just got the truck ~ saw a couple videos on the changing of plugs ~ like to hear more if you've been through this ``` ....
You might also change the boots while you're in there, the coils are probably fine.
Denso boots 671-0001 ($30/set of 10) at Rock Auto or ebay work well.
The OEM plugs were Motorcraft AGSF22WM and only torqued to 15-17 ft/lbs so when left in for 100K+ had a higher chance of loosening and blowing out.
The current replacement is Motorcraft SP479 which are less than $3/ea on ebay or Rock Auto.

Old 12-31-2018, 05:56 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
I agree with everything put forward so far---great advice guys!

Installing new boots is almost a must do---they're important to prevent misfires and cheap enough its not a painful replacement part. I myself use nothing but Motorcraft plugs---too many anecdotal posts about Modular Motors having issues when other brands are used.

I also use a bit of nickel-based anti-seize on the plug threads and change them at about 50K miles AND torque them to at least 25 ft/lbs using a torque wrench. Even if they're torqued to 28 ft/lbs its not harmful--here's a thread I always found fascinating regarding spark plug torque values: Spark Plug Torque Test

Those who say plugs last up to 100K miles might be correct but honestly I change them @ 50K for two reasons: they don't seize up in the heads and I can gauge how each cylinder is performing. While I'm certainly no genius on reading spark plugs any large differences in coloration or deposits do stand out Of course I also change oil @ 3-4K despite claims I could go longer--not worth the small risk to me. I mean its not like I'm damaging anything with fresh oil and filter right?

I have E-Series vans with the 2 valve 5.4 motors, each one with over 250K miles without a single failed spark plug thread. I've followed the general procedures outlined here for whatever that's worth. Also just installed a Ford reman'd 5.4 in my '05 E350. I did reuse the COP's but replaced the boots (143K miles) and re-installed the factory supplied SP479 plugs using nickel anti-seize and 25 ft/lbs torquie.

Once you have change plugs once you'll know its somewhat "easy" especially on an E-Series---the F-Series don't have the removable engine cover in the cabin.

Old 12-31-2018, 09:09 PM
Richard S
Junior User
Richard S is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by R&T Babich View Post
You might also change the boots while you're in there, the coils are probably fine.
Denso boots 671-0001 ($30/set of 10) at Rock Auto or ebay work well.
The OEM plugs were Motorcraft AGSF22WM and only torqued to 15-17 ft/lbs so when left in for 100K+ had a higher chance of loosening and blowing out.
The current replacement is Motorcraft SP479 which are less than $3/ea on ebay or Rock Auto.

Thanks for coming back on this ~ I've read so many installation musts ~ On torque I've heard 13 foot Lbs - to - 27 ft lbs ~ and re: anti seize ~ I've heard both Yes and No ```

This 2001 Lariat has 184,000 + I called the guy I bought it from ~ he got the truck at about 150K ~never changed the plugs & didn't know it the Person before him changed them ```

Old 12-31-2018, 09:30 PM
R&T Babich
Posting Guru
R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.R&T Babich has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Richard S View Post
.... Makes a person scratch his head ~ I've never torqued a plug ~ but ```
With today's engines using aluminum heads and steel plugs the torque is more critical.
Aluminum and steel have different heat expansion characteristics which can lead to the plugs loosening after 100k or so.
If Ford had installed spark plug threaded inserts there would have not been any issues.
I change plugs/boots at 50k, use nickel antiseize, torque to 25 ft/lbs and have not had any issues.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.