80's engines, cold weather, modern multi vis W oil - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

80's engines, cold weather, modern multi vis W oil

Old 12-09-2018, 02:16 PM
82_F100_300Six
Posting Guru
82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.82_F100_300Six has a very good reputation on FTE.
80's engines, cold weather, modern multi vis W oil

what are you guys running?

Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.

It's what's in the motor now sitting in the garage, not on the road yet, and what I would run year round.
Unless I found the motor to make a little noise on start up and was not because of oil filter drain back.
Dave ----

Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
I run 10w30.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:55 PM
kramttocs
Senior User
kramttocs is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run Valvoline Conventional 10w-30 year-round in my 460 and 400 also.
Some other info regarding winter weather:
A couple of weeks ago I added a frost plug heater to the 460 and love it.
I know the cold I get is nowhere near what others experience but it makes the morning startup a lot easier.
I am using a SmartThings 'script' to adjust if and when it comes on based on the outside temp.

Old 12-12-2018, 04:09 PM
cstephens
Senior User
cstephens is starting off with a positive reputation.
I use Rotella 5w-30, 5w-40, whatever is cheap and in stock. I like 5w year round, I think it's better when cold especially, since I start it upp and drive it immediately. I think it makes little-no difference on the 30/40 in these engines, they've got some wear, they just need oil. My 300 I6 has seen 3000+ RPMs on very few occasions, so I don't worry too much about the cam/lifters. I may regret that if/when I rebuild in the Spring.

Now, my 351w in my 95 Mustang is a different matter. It's a .030 over, 11 to 1 compression, aluminum headed, cammed up, mech flat tappet car with a 7200 rpm rev limiter that it will hit, and pull hard all the way there. I always use straight 30 with some ZDDP additive. Cheap insurance for a costly motor. Also rarely gets driven or even run, so I use the straight weight since I do oil changes based on mileage, not time (I've been told that the multigrades lose their multigrade abilities over time, no idea whether true, but its typically easier to just warm it up before driving and being rough). If I have some leftover additive, I may or may not throw it in the truck. There's some chatter on the oil sites about whether any of the new motor oils need extra ZDDP if they have 1000ppm like some diesel oils, but I consider it less a risk to have more than too little.

Brings in a good question tho, anyone know offhand what the zinc content even is on the newer Rotella oils?-.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:32 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Zinc content is very low in most oils now. I have read that about mulit-grade oils also, which is the reason to run a multigrade that has less spread like 10w30 which has a 20 weight spread. The oil you are running has a 35 weight spread.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:45 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
I use Rotella 5w-30, 5w-40, whatever is cheap and in stock. I like 5w year round, I think it's better when cold especially, since I start it upp and drive it immediately. I think it makes little-no difference on the 30/40 in these engines, they've got some wear, they just need oil. My 300 I6 has seen 3000+ RPMs on very few occasions, so I don't worry too much about the cam/lifters. I may regret that if/when I rebuild in the Spring.

Now, my 351w in my 95 Mustang is a different matter. It's a .030 over, 11 to 1 compression, aluminum headed, cammed up, mech flat tappet car with a 7200 rpm rev limiter that it will hit, and pull hard all the way there. I always use straight 30 with some ZDDP additive. Cheap insurance for a costly motor. Also rarely gets driven or even run, so I use the straight weight since I do oil changes based on mileage, not time (I've been told that the multigrades lose their multigrade abilities over time, no idea whether true, but its typically easier to just warm it up before driving and being rough). If I have some leftover additive, I may or may not throw it in the truck. There's some chatter on the oil sites about whether any of the new motor oils need extra ZDDP if they have 1000ppm like some diesel oils, but I consider it less a risk to have more than too little.

Brings in a good question tho, anyone know offhand what the zinc content even is on the newer Rotella oils?-.
From what I hear there are 2 different blends of Rotella.
There is 1 that has more ZDDP for the older diesels that DO NOT run cats.
Then you have the newer oil with less ZDDP for diesels the DO run cats.
So you have to watch what one you pick off the shelf. I forget how to tell the 2 apart now.

Now I also heard that the oil made for diesels is not so good to run in a gas motor.
The reason is diesels do not turn the RPM the gas motors do so they don't have the same amount of anti foaming in them.
When I heard that, the foaming thing, then the less ZDDP I stopped using it in my drag motor and went with normal gas motor oil and add a bottle of ZDDP and like you more is better than less.
Now as you know there is always someone who says that is all hog wash so do as you wish.

For the ones that don't know ZDDP (zinc) was cut back in motor oil because it hurt cats but you need zinc to keep high pressure items like cam & lifters from wearing (getting a flat lobe).
This was a big deal thru the mid to late 80's as cats were now common and flat cams started to show up.
It is not such a big deal having less zinc in oil today because most motors use roller lifters & cams but is an issue with us that keep older cars & trucks on the road.
Now the next question will adding a bottle of ZDDP to our oil hurt the cat? Hard to say but cats made today are a little different so it may not be as big a deal as we make it out to be but only time will tell.
Dave ----

Old 12-14-2018, 03:18 PM
cadunkle
Posting Guru
cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.cadunkle has a good reputation on FTE.
I run 5w40 Rotella T6 or Mobil1 diesel (whichever is cheaper) in the whole fleet. 7.3 IDI, two 460s, one 454, two CB750 SOHC4, one XL600 thumper. Works great for warm and cold weather, acceptable zinc and phosphorus content for flat tappet cams, works with wet clutches.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.