Help! What is this and how bad is it? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.4L Power Stroke Diesel
Reload this Page >

Help! What is this and how bad is it?

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Old 12-09-2018, 12:43 PM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
SUPERDUTY_08 is starting off with a positive reputation.

Excuse me for sounding dumb. But what is this tube circled in the picture, and should it be leaking oil (or what looks like oil)? This is on the driver side of the truck.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:45 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
It's the intercooler tube and having some oil residue in or around the fittings is normal because the crank case is vented into the intake. May people modify the crank case vent to vent into the air to prevent this from happening.

Old 12-09-2018, 06:47 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
If you have a stock truck check your oil level to make sure itís not overfilled due to fuel dilution

also check the flow plug grommets for oil leaks.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM
SUPERDUTY_08
Elder User
SUPERDUTY_08 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Sorry for not replying back sooner. So to answer some questions, my truck is stock. the oil level is normal. But I've noticed that i dont hear that turbo whistle when i get up on the pedal. Im going to replace the intercooler boot, and clean out the turbo with a spray cleaner. And see if that changes anything. I don't notice a change in boost on the gauge. I'm also not getting any error codes. Correct me if im wrong, but in believe the tube I'm looking at is the hot side?

Old 01-09-2019, 08:20 AM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_08 View Post
Sorry for not replying back sooner. So to answer some questions, my truck is stock. the oil level is normal. But I've noticed that i dont hear that turbo whistle when i get up on the pedal. Im going to replace the intercooler boot, and clean out the turbo with a spray cleaner. And see if that changes anything. I don't notice a change in boost on the gauge. I'm also not getting any error codes. Correct me if im wrong, but in believe the tube I'm looking at is the hot side?
yes, the lower connection is hot side.

these boots get loose so try tightening both ends of the intercooler down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: