Should i get a 6.4? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Should i get a 6.4?

Old 12-09-2018, 11:25 AM
ferdyfifth
New User
ferdyfifth is starting off with a positive reputation.
Should i get a 6.4?

So iím currently looking for a new truck and i came across this F-350. Itís a 2008 with the 6.4 and has 220k. They want 15k for it and i just want the blunt truth. Never really read much about this engine. Donít know much about it. i know yíall canít see the truck but i can tell you, cosmetically, itís been taken care of. Just wanna know some of the good and bad things about these trucks and if itís worth the $$$. Thanks!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:53 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
They are very quick and efficient engines when they are deleted and properly tuned. However they aren't known for their reliability, cracked pistons and other catastrophic failures are common, they are also very expensive to work on and get parts for. I would avoid the 6.4, a 7.3 in good condition, a bulletproofed 6.0 or a tuned and deleted 6.7 would all be better choices if you want a Powerstroke.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:59 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
It's a very capable and comfortable platform for a SD. You will want to visit several threads in the 6.4 forum to formulate a decision. I own a 7.3 and a 6.4. I can spin a wrench, so that makes ownership of anything easier despite the raves and whoas of this or that.

6.4's have their quirks. (what doesn't) but if you are good at maintaining and can turn a wrench, I wouldn't run.

Can't remember the last thing I didn't have to fix on anything.

Denny

Old 12-09-2018, 07:19 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
An 08 with 200k mikes for 15k

only if they can prove...

new injectors
new lifters
new cam
new coolant pump
new rockers, push rods, saddles
new fuel pump
new oil/coolant exchange unit
new egr
a video of each cylinder and the piston is at deck height
passes compression test
passes oil analyisys

in other words...no way

Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by speakerfritz View Post
An 08 with 200k mikes for 15k

only if they can prove...

new injectors
new lifters
new cam
new coolant pump
new rockers, push rods, saddles
new fuel pump
new oil/coolant exchange unit
new egr
a video of each cylinder and the piston is at deck height
passes compression test
passes oil analyisys

in other words...no way

If THIS is coming from the owner of a 6.4L truck himself, greater weight should be given to his opinion. As said many times before, three model years too many for the Super Duty lineup.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:47 PM
Firefighter 1406
Postmaster
Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.Firefighter 1406 has a great reputation on FTE.
I owned one for 363 days. Very fast, comfortable ride. Nicest truck I have ever owned hands down. Mine was well maintained by the previous owner. Put right at 30,000 miles on the truck in the 363 days and sunk $4,000 into it in the same time frame. I loved the truck, but my nerves couldnít handle the pucker factor I felt whenever a new sound or noise came up. The diesel shop down the road said to sell it as soon as I could, but if I kept it he could get me a rebuilt engine when this one went for $16,000. It was a beautiful truck, and still is (saw it today actually) but it wasnít for me.

Bought a new engine for the 7.3 and havenít looked back.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:11 PM
afmedic
Elder User
afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.afmedic has a good reputation on FTE.
I love mine, even though I just spent $1500 replacing an injector, and drivers side rockers and push rods. It is the nicest truck I have ever owned, has a ton of power, and is fun to drive. That being said, i wouldnt buy another. I love mine and I'll keep it because I'd lose money getting something else, but if i had to do it again i would have waited for a 6.7. Listen to fritz and denny, they know their stuff and helped me through my engine problems.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:26 PM
speakerfritz
Postmaster
speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.speakerfritz has a good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by afmedic View Post
I love mine, even though I just spent $1500 replacing an injector, and drivers side rockers and push rods.
thats was 1500 doing the work yourself. Multiply that by 4 or 5 if it would have been a dealer repair.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:25 PM
DieselDenny
Posting Guru
DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.DieselDenny has a great reputation on FTE.
My diesel JD lawn tractor takes a bigger **** than my retriever. Buy what you want, but everything with a crank has issues. Still wondering what stroke the dog is on?

Denny

Old 12-10-2018, 07:05 PM
T diesel
Posting Guru
T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.T diesel has a very good reputation on FTE.
Don't do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: