5Ver in the snow - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

5Ver in the snow

Old 12-09-2018, 09:55 AM
7591250sd
Senior User
7591250sd is starting off with a positive reputation.
5Ver in the snow

We have a upcoming trip from Minnesota to North Carolina. I drove a million miles in snow, and pulling trailers, but nothing as big as a 5ver. I'm wondering how 2500 lbs of pin weight effect traction on my 2018 F250SD 4x4 with 6.2, AT tires.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
In my experience, a trailer will give you more traction due to the increased weight on the rear axle.

I recently had to pull my trailer off the mountain down Forest Service roads after it snowed 10". I didn't trust the trailer tires to have good traction when braking so I put cable chains on both trailer axles. Both truck axles also had chains.

I have no interest in pulling my trailer (bumper pull) in snowy conditions. I'll do it if I have to but it's not something I look forward to.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:19 PM
acadianbob
Elder User
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Darn good question. I wonder if there would be more potential for the front end to "push" wide on a corner if it is slippery. Certainly the weight bias will go more toward the rear axle; so less balanced overall.

Old 12-09-2018, 05:04 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
HRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant futureHRTKD has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Darn good question. I wonder if there would be more potential for the front end to "push" wide on a corner if it is slippery. Certainly the weight bias will go more toward the rear axle; so less balanced overall.
Based on some of the weigh scale results I've seen, I don't think the front end changes much. That's with a 5th wheel. On a bumper pull, if a WDH isn't used then all bets are off and I think the front end is going to be all over the place depending on how much tongue weight is involved.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:32 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
use of the manual slider is an option if the trailer wants to lead.

I have pulled mine several times in snow up to about 6 inches. Slow down and you will be fine.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:20 PM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
I've considered reducing the brake controller setting so that the trailer tires don't lock up so easily. The downside is that the truck will have to be doing more of the braking.

Scott's right, slowing down is the best option.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:29 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Elder User
Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.Slowpoke Slim has a great reputation on FTE.
Yes to slowing down, and back your trailer brake control off some. You'll have more issues with trailer brakes locking up if you don't. Just take it easy and try to keep the truck in front of the trailer.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:18 AM
acadianbob
Elder User
acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.acadianbob is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by HRTKD View Post
Based on some of the weigh scale results I've seen, I don't think the front end changes much. That's with a 5th wheel. On a bumper pull, if a WDH isn't used then all bets are off and I think the front end is going to be all over the place depending on how much tongue weight is involved.
Agreed. My front axle weighs the same with or without the 5er.

When slippery, that 5er has to be a big sail and a crosswind would have to be scary. I sure wouldn't dare pull if slippery.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:27 AM
camping nut
Senior User
camping nut is starting off with a positive reputation.

As you can see I have done it the only problem I have had is the trailer sliding around not the truck. I have chains for both the truck and the trailer and as mentioned above the trailer chains are much more useful then the truck chains most of the time. The real worst part about towing in the snow is how dirty everything gets lol....Just slow down as mentioned and use the engine brake carefully if you have one.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:33 AM
seventyseven250
Post Fiend
seventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant futureseventyseven250 has a brilliant future
I had to drive a short distance once with a bumper pull and no WDH after I purchased a trailer in the winter. It was spooky as hell how little steering I had with the unweighted front axle. I hope to never do that again. Haven't done a 5th wheel, but I think the other guys had some good perspective.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Edd505
Junior User
Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Edd505 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Wolf Creek Pass

This was Wolf Creek Pass with a 13K 5W behind my F350 CC SRW 4x4 earlier this year. The issue I had was traction on the up grades, 4x4 locked & traction control on the truck would break loose. Slow way down, ease the break control, and easy braking, you do not want the trailer pushing the truck. Get's too slippery find a wide spot and nap til roads get better. 750K in 11 western states in a class 8 zero accidents. The advice I got from an old timer when I started: " Drive slow enough that if you crash you can walk away from it." Think about it, lot of wisdom there.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:14 AM
acadianbob
Elder User
It gives me the "*******" to think about a trailer/5er deciding to wag and pull the dog off the road.

Old 12-12-2018, 12:44 AM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Army RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to beholdArmy RET is a splendid one to behold
Snow (and cold weather) gives me the *******, that's why I moved very south.

Old 12-12-2018, 09:17 AM
HRTKD
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Army RET View Post
Snow (and cold weather) gives me the *******, that's why I moved very south.
Fire Ants and 100% humidity gives me the *******. That's why I moved north. LOL!

Old 12-12-2018, 10:24 AM
SkiSmuggs
Elder User
SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.SkiSmuggs has a good reputation on FTE.
Fire Ants and 100% humidity gives me the *******. That's why I moved north. LOL!
Absolutely! Same here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.