1983 F-250 Turnsignal issue - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1983 F-250 Turnsignal issue

Old 12-08-2018, 09:50 PM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
CO_Blue_Beast_460 is starting off with a positive reputation.
1983 F-250 Turnsignal issue

I recently bought a 1983 F-250 4X4 with a 460 and Manual Trans with 57k original miles. Yes is was last registered in 1997 so I am going through it with a fine tooth comb. One issue that puzzles me is the turn signals. The 4 way Flashers work fine. I have the drivers side rear turn signal as the only working turn signal and I hear the click of the turn signal relay. no dash or front light on the drivers side. The passengers side is DEAD - Nothing no where, and no relay clicking. At first I thought the flashers and the turn signals were different circuits, but a ford mechanic told me they are the same circuit. The running lights all work also... would this be an indication of a bad turn signal switch in the steering column ??? Thanks for any input !!! Mike in Colorado

Old 12-08-2018, 10:51 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
Welcome to FTE
First did you make sure the bulbs are good all the way around?

I believe there are 2 different flashers, 1 for the turn signals and the other for 4 ways.
1 is on the front side of the fuse block and the other on the back side.
The block should slide off the mounts to get to the back side.
Dave ----

Old 12-08-2018, 10:55 PM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2 View Post
Welcome to FTE
First did you make sure the bulbs are good all the way around?

I believe there are 2 different flashers, 1 for the turn signals and the other for 4 ways.
1 is on the front side of the fuse block and the other on the back side.
The block should slide off the mounts to get to the back side.
Dave ----
Thanks !!! I'll fire up the garage heater tomorrow and check it out.
Mike

Old 12-09-2018, 07:50 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.FuzzFace2 has a great reputation on FTE.
I should also get out to the garage, fire up my heater and get a little done on the project but it is sleeting, 30 mph gust and it is a good walk to get there.
Have to see what its like after breakfast.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Dave ----

Old 12-09-2018, 08:10 AM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Do your brake lights work in the rear? If not, I suspect the turnsignal switch or the wiring in the column.

Old 12-09-2018, 08:43 AM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
Do your brake lights work in the rear? If not, I suspect the turnsignal switch or the wiring in the column.
Yes the brake lights work. Thanks for your input ! I ordered a headlight switch since I saw that cause some funky issues in my 69 Galaxie.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:41 PM
Franklin2
Franklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant futureFranklin2 has a brilliant future
Headlight circuit is separate as well as the marker light circuit.

The hazard flasher and the turn flasher are separate, but they both use the same bulbs and the same wiring. So I think we can say your wiring to the lights and the lights are good. It is looking more and more like the turnsignal switch is the problem.

The rear brake and turn circuits are the same circuit. When you put the turnsignal switch in the middle, it puts the brake pedal switch on both rear lights in the turnsignal switch itself, and both rear lights get powered by the brake pedal switch. This is another confirmation that your wiring to the rear and your rear lights are good, since it uses the same wiring and bulbs as the turn signals in the rear.

When you move the turn lever in one direction or the other, it lifts that particular rear bulb off the brake pedal power, and puts it on the turn flasher power, that is what makes that particular rear bulb blink. Move the lever the other direction and it puts that first bulb back on the brake pedal circuit, and puts the other bulb on the turn flasher circuit.

The front turns are on their own section in the turnsignal switch. The front turns are also connected to the indicators in the dash panel. There is no monkey business in the front turns like in the rear, they are a simple off in the middle, or put each bulb on the turn flasher depending on which direction you move the lever.

Old 12-09-2018, 01:59 PM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
Originally Posted by Franklin2 View Post
Headlight circuit is separate as well as the marker light circuit.

The hazard flasher and the turn flasher are separate, but they both use the same bulbs and the same wiring. So I think we can say your wiring to the lights and the lights are good. It is looking more and more like the turnsignal switch is the problem.

The rear brake and turn circuits are the same circuit. When you put the turnsignal switch in the middle, it puts the brake pedal switch on both rear lights in the turnsignal switch itself, and both rear lights get powered by the brake pedal switch. This is another confirmation that your wiring to the rear and your rear lights are good, since it uses the same wiring and bulbs as the turn signals in the rear.

When you move the turn lever in one direction or the other, it lifts that particular rear bulb off the brake pedal power, and puts it on the turn flasher power, that is what makes that particular rear bulb blink. Move the lever the other direction and it puts that first bulb back on the brake pedal circuit, and puts the other bulb on the turn flasher circuit.

The front turns are on their own section in the turnsignal switch. The front turns are also connected to the indicators in the dash panel. There is no monkey business in the front turns like in the rear, they are a simple off in the middle, or put each bulb on the turn flasher depending on which direction you move the lever.
Thanks - That is some great info to help me troubleshoot this issue !!!
The garage heater is on and I am almost ready to begin.

Mike in Colorado

Old 12-09-2018, 06:11 PM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
Thanks guys !

Here is what I know...
All lights work on parking setting and Headlights "On" setting.
The Brake Lights work
The 4 way flashers work.
The dashboard lights are so dim I can't read them at night.
The High Low Headlight switch does NOT work.
I got the turn signals to work by holding the Lever forward or towards the back when "engaged" to that side.
Sometimes without pressure only the back drivers side one works.
They started working when I was playing with the parking lights on and headlights on, and put slight pressure on the lever.
The dash turn signal indicators do NOT work at all. (All I have on the top part of the dash are seat belt and 4x4 lights that work).
*** I have replaced and tested all dash lights (194 bulbs) ***
It appears that the 4 way flasher relay and the turn signal flasher relay are one and the same (by feel).

The truck was last registered in 1997 and has been sitting in a Barn in California.

Does the turn signal switch in the steering column need to be replaced ? do you think that cleaning the contacts would work ?
Where do I start tracing the dash turn signal light issue?

Thanks for your input !!!

Mike

Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
From the sounds of it and me being lazy I would try cleaning the contacts on the switch and if that does not work replace it.

As for the dash lights did you remove the colored covers and not reinstall them?
The covers get cloudy and will not let the light thru.
You can also change the 194 bulbs to LEDs. Do a search for this swap in here.

I would pull the gauge cluster out of the truck to work on it.
Where the harness plugs in clean the contacts as they can stop the flow of electrons. Also do the same where all the light bulbs screw in so they also make good connections.

I did all the cleaning, not the LEDs or new bulbs, and 1 night I was in the dark garage and saw not all the gauge lights worked but the truck is not close to be on the road so I will look into this at some point.
Dave ----

Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 PM
Franklin2
I would replace the turnsignal switch. It's not easy to get to, the reason why I recommend replacement.

Old 12-09-2018, 09:17 PM
CO_Blue_Beast_460
New User
Yes, I pulled the instrument panel out - makes it much easier to work on, and I said it won't go back in until I can see them and everything is functioning. Having been an electronic tech in a previous life... I first thought that most of the bulbs were burn out... As I tested them when I pulled them out all of them worked... I cleaned the HECK out of everything replaced them all with new ones and cleaned the contacts and tested each one before I put it back in the cluster... Hooked them back up and it looked the same - barely visible in the dark. The top row I only have the seat belt and 4x4 light that ever come on. I was wondering if the flimsy printed circuit is damaged somewhere - that is a whole new issue... I figured I would order a new turn signal switch - since it looks like so much fun to get to... Why not just replace it instead of trying to clean the contacts. Thanks for the insight and help...

Old 12-09-2018, 09:27 PM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
I believe you can get a new printed circuit thru LMC truck.
You can also test the gauge cluster if you have a power supply, read battery. That is what I did on another project to make sure the lights worked.
Dave ----

Old 12-10-2018, 09:25 AM
Odisvan
Senior User
Odisvan is starting off with a positive reputation.
pull ground on battery, pull bulbs one at a time and clean out all the by now green thick corrosion in each bulb socket. it'll look like toothpaste in some areas. Use small pick and brake clean and get bulb sockets cleaned out good, install functional bulbs and you're good to go.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM
FuzzFace2
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Odisvan View Post
pull ground on battery, pull bulbs one at a time and clean out all the by now green thick corrosion in each bulb socket. it'll look like toothpaste in some areas. Use small pick and brake clean and get bulb sockets cleaned out good, install functional bulbs and you're good to go.
You can get new sockets just note they come in 2 different sizes when looking for them.
Dave ----

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.